Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2017, 07:07   #106

Boat: Bristol 47.7
Re: Best new flex panels on the market?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I'm going to guess you might have a shading issue....
Worth the efficiency loss if the dog's happy, right?

Beautiful installation Ken. I can see why you wanted Solbian to do the job given how important for longevity it apparently is to minimize movement from wind, etc. Keep us posted!
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 07:32   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Why the high rating when two failed in under 3 years? It seems for the high premium that Solbian charges you'd expect a lot more longevity than what you get with cheap flexpanels at 1/3 to 1/5 the price.
My hard panels remained mounted and survived Irma's maybe 100 mph winds at my location. I expect a 25 year useful life from the Kyoceras and here at year 9 so far so good.

Having said that I'm looking at adding 1 larger flex panel for a different vessel. Solbian STANDING BEHIND their product as mentioned by multiple posters is easily worth 3X to me.
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 07:37   #108

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
But you know not to mix water and electricity.

The Solara panels Ocean Planet mentioned were very good for grip, even the dog thought so as he liked to sit on the warm panel.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ture28035.html

Have there been tests to determine solar panel output drop when shaded by Dog vs. Cat?
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 07:45   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
Have there been tests to determine solar panel output drop when shaded by Dog vs. Cat?
Cat fur, being more fine, does a better job removing dust from the panels.
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 07:48   #110

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
Yes, with the dog the short term loss of wiggly amps is off set by the black dog absorbing excess heat and cooling the panels down mid afternoon meaning that efficiency is increased when its doggies tea time in the cockpit. The cool panels can then regain the losses with increased efficiency. Results are preliminary but show an increase of 12.87% worth of wiggly amps into the house bank just in time to make ice for happy hour.

However, the cat just has a hissy fit when the dog turns up for his seat, so no benefit other than to be named "spare rations" on a long trip.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 08:57   #111

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanPlanet View Post
Both Solbian and Solara are available with a slip-resistant surface. Not super nonskid, but much better than shiny. We've a lot of Solbian deck panels with the textured surface, backside wiring, and peel & stick backside adhesive.
I'm assuming that the regular panels are marginally more efficient than the nonskid panels because there is less scattering of light from the texturing of the surface. Is there any data on this? How about longevity? Any difference? I would think the slick panels would stay cleaner longer and perhaps suffer less plastic deterioration over time.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 03:13   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
I'm assuming that the regular panels are marginally more efficient than the nonskid panels because there is less scattering of light from the texturing of the surface. Is there any data on this? How about longevity? Any difference? I would think the slick panels would stay cleaner longer and perhaps suffer less plastic deterioration over time.
Depends on the type of surface, PET products yellow with time, ETFE products do not have a light permeability similar to glass. Someone had already linked to this explanation ETFE Based Semi Flexible Solar Panel - Fly Solartech

Ps: Do not misunderstand efficiency with production. Technical term efficiency in photovoltaics means W / square meter (which depends on the type of cell used) and production rather than wh produces for each w in normal usage codes.
Velanera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2017, 02:04   #113
cruiser

Quote:
The improvements to the Bimini installation of five Solbian solar panels turned out nice. Essentially now, the entire top of the bimini has a second layer of canvas/panels since the new zips and Velcro were added along with cable cover channels. All panels are now secured with zips and Velcro on all four sides. Covers were also made to cover the cables where they run down the dodger.

The best thing... nothing is visible from the dock or water level view. Unless we climb up on to the cabin top, nothing can be seen. Mission accomplished.
Yesterday, it was brutally difficult to remove the panels from the bimini for winter storage, so I'm expecting that the lifting issue with wind gusts has been solved by adding the additional zips and velrco.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2017, 07:56   #114

Quote:
Yesterday, it was brutally difficult to remove the panels from the bimini for winter storage, so I'm expecting that the lifting issue with wind gusts has been solved by adding the additional zips and velrco.
Any picture?
Sailsgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2017, 08:19   #115
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailsgood View Post
Any picture?
Before and after pictures along with a video of the wind issue we solved by attaching zips and Velco to all four sides. Now wind can't get under the panels and lift them. Some friends of our had their solar panels actually rip off from their bimini this summer on a windy day because the panels were only secured on two sides. We didn't want the same thing to happen to us.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1284.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	408.6 KB
ID:	157888   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1504.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	416.6 KB
ID:	157889  

Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2017, 00:24   #116

Quote:
Before and after pictures along with a video of the wind issue we solved by attaching zips and Velco to all four sides. Now wind can't get under the panels and lift them. Some friends of our had their solar panels actually rip off from their bimini this summer on a windy day because the panels were only secured on two sides. We didn't want the same thing to happen to us.
very nice, looks very good.

Much like the plant made by a friend of mine
IMG_20170825_104039.jpg
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20170825_104039.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	405.7 KB
ID:	157935  
Sailsgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2017, 07:32   #117
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

If the vendor doesn't sell rigid metal mounting sheet, what do you all recommend?

I want zero flex once installed, but don't want to slow down heat shedding any more than necessary.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2017, 07:43   #118

Boat: Mull 42-cold molded NZ 1970
Send a message via Skype™ to OceanPlanet

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
If the vendor doesn't sell rigid metal mounting sheet, what do you all recommend?

I want zero flex once installed, but don't want to slow down heat shedding any more than necessary.
We've seen many well-done canvas dodgers & Biminis that hardly flex at all. Can practically lie on them. The tensioning and bracing design is key, to have the whole canvas stretched really tight.

Can also use some twinwall polycarbonate backing sheets, either in sleeves in the canvas, or sewed directly to the panels.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
OceanPlanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2017, 07:45   #119
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

That last is a great idea, thanks Bruce!
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2017, 07:57   #120

Boat: Mull 42-cold molded NZ 1970
Send a message via Skype™ to OceanPlanet

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
That last is a great idea, thanks Bruce!
Example of the sewed-on backing, and installed. Not necessarily a super-stiff dodger-Bimini, however shows the concept.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CIMG0044m.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	157970   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0046m.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	157971  

Name:	Intalled panels03.JPG