Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2010, 14:53   #16

Boat: No boat, looking again.
Alex, I have only owned my boat for a few months but have used 12 v stuff for camping for decades. For all my battery gear - camera, AA batteries (used in hand-held two-way radio, a small camera, several torches, GPS backup, small radio), Asus netbook, mobile phone - I search the 'net for 12 v converters/shargers made for them. I don't use an inverter.

Eg, after much 'net surfing I found a Hong Kong supplier of 12v adapter for my Asus netbook. I could not find a supplier of the original equipment. I didn't buy the first one I found but checked them out as thoroughly as I could. Some Asus 'netbooks use a different plug so ya always got to be sure what you are looking at is going fit. I have used the adapter heaps and have not noticed any issues.

Did the same with my Pentax camera. Found discussion and review on a forum about various Asian-sourced Ebay suppliers of camera battery 12 v adapters which pointed out some of the quality differences. Useful info and when I made my purchase I was happy with the product.

I haven't always had wins but overall I have been very pleased. I put each adapter and wires into those press-seal plastic bags so they don't get tangled.
troppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2010, 15:03   #17

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran
Years ago I switched my laptop and flat screen TV, (both run on 19V DC), to 12V DC to 19V DC transformers (that you get on line with cigarette lighter plugs)... VS the inverter option. This set up has cut the Amp Hours to for example, watch a movie, in half, and then some. I used the E-Meter / Link 10 to confirm this! MANY electronics these days that have an AC plug / black box, actually run on low V DC of a variety of voltages. (even printers & DVD players. The transformer boxes to boost or reduce the boat's 12V power are available by the hundreds, from computer power sypply web sites. You just have to match the V and amps... WAY more efficient and kind to sensative electronics than inverters. When we have to for nicad battery chargers & such, we do use our small sine wave inverter though.

By going super efficient, we can run the boat anchored out (over 2,000 nights now) with out cranking the engine. The solar panels run everything, even the refrigerator! Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P8290437 (2) - Copy.JPG
Views:	230
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	21462   Click image for larger version

Name:	107_107_00.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	202.4 KB
ID:	21463  

Click image for larger version

Name:	106_106_00.JPG