Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2009, 16:47   #16

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 38
This is what I use:
- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices
rustypirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 19:09   #17
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Those Sears cutters are not for cable. And I don't believe a human can cut 4/0 with those either.

A cable cutter has hollow blades. I use the small one from Ancor and need two or three cuts to go through a 4/0. It works fine though.

A hacksaw is troublesome. Sure it cuts through any size cable but you won't be able to insert it into the correct size lug after that. The trick with the plastic cable ties is a way around the problem. Also, you can't cut short pieces cable with it because the saw will rip strands out of the cable (this is all first hand experience ;-). I tried the Dremel too and it is much better than the hacksaw but a good cutter beats that tool too.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 19:15   #18
S&S

Boat: 48' 1963 S&S yawl
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
Until you realize it doesn't fit.
Aww, that's what step drills were made for.
S&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 21:10   #19

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Those Sears cutters are not for cable. And I don't believe a human can cut 4/0 with those either.

A cable cutter has hollow blades. I use the small one from Ancor and need two or three cuts to go through a 4/0. It works fine though.

A hacksaw is troublesome. Sure it cuts through any size cable but you won't be able to insert it into the correct size lug after that. The trick with the plastic cable ties is a way around the problem. Also, you can't cut short pieces cable with it because the saw will rip strands out of the cable (this is all first hand experience ;-). I tried the Dremel too and it is much better than the hacksaw but a good cutter beats that tool too.

cheers,
Nick.

Nick, ya mean Bill LIED to me? OMG...
lol..
anyway I ordered the set, will get it in a few days, and then I will report back on how it cuts cable. If it sux... I am sure it can be used in other ways...
I have a rotozip and metal cutting wheels, I can use that, but presently no power onboard so.... a human powered way is preferable.

I ordered a ton of stuff from genuine dealz.. and gregsmarine on e bay as well. Got 2/0 cable for a good price with very fast shipping and it was Berkshire cable. Looked good. I got pacer 4/0 from Peter Kennedy... as well as 6 g from someplace else...

Just trying to figure out all the odds and ends this job will require is making my head spin..

Got the Blue sea systems stuff in the other day, and its pretty darn nice.
360 panel for the ac and dc side, and their heavy duty buss... pretty sweet.
Pictures will be posted when finished....
LOL.. in 2012 !
Bob
bobfnbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 23:27   #20

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Iv cut and striped 16 gage to 0000 for years with these...about 30 bucks...fits in your back pocket too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cable cutter.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	4.8 KB
ID:	10857  

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 03:23   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
If you can find a Berkshire Wire dealer their UL 1426 marine battery cable is considerably more flexible, a handy feature with 4/0, than Ancor, Cobra or Pacer wire is...
Can you explain how Berkshire comes to make more flexible wire & cable?

The Berkshire Electric Cable Co. Website says nothing about strand size & count (which generally determines “flexability”), except compliance /w UL 1426 BC5W2 Marine Listed Boat Cable specs, which requires Type 3 stranding. Ancor, Cobra, & Pacer all manufacture to these same specs.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 03:29   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Can you explain how Berkshire comes to make more flexible wire & cable?

The Berkshire Electric Cable Co. Website says nothing about strand size & count (which generally determines “flexability”), except compliance /w UL 1426 BC5W2 Marine Listed Boat Cable specs, which requires Type 3 stranding. Ancor, Cobra, & Pacer all manufacture to these same specs.

I think it is their jacket that is softer and more flexible and it could be the irradiating process that is done to the jacket that helps make it more flexible? I have used it side by side to other brands and it is certainly easier to flex and bend in the larger gauges. Cobra seem to be the stiffest. Don't know why exactly but I have experience with all the big brands Ancor, Pacer, Berkshire & Cobra and the Berkshire is just easier to work with in large sizes..
Old 03-11-2009, 04:46   #23
Marine Service Provider

I tried to do a little experiment and while far form conclusive it showed, me at least, why I like Berkshire's flexibility.

The wires below were at 35.7 degrees, or the temp of my barn this morning. I placed them vertically on a piece of counter top in my barn and bent them over with one hand.

The black wire is Berkshire 2 ga and the red is Cobra 2 ga. The red wire resisted until it twisted out to the side, as seen, it did not want to bend at the radius of the Berkshire. I did try and hold them identically and they were both held in the same lay they had been stored in to be as fair as possible to each other.

This is Berkshire 2/0 wire at 35.7 degrees f. It was very easy to bend to this radius. Unfortunately I did not have any scrap 2/0 of other brands and the only different brands I had were all in 2 ga..

Again, certainly not very conclusive but it backs up my experience with Berkshire's flexibility.

Sorry for the poor photos..
Old 03-11-2009, 05:46   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
I think it is their jacket that is softer and more flexible and it could be the irradiating process that is done to the jacket that helps make it more flexible ...
It could be the jacket; but I was hoping you'd noticed a higher strand count.
You morning bend test does seem fairly suggestive, even if not scientifically conclusive - and I don't doubt your conclusion.
I've never noticed an appreciable difference between quality marine cables, but don't specifically recall using Berkshire.
Thanks for the detailed reply.
Your photo-essays are a treasure.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 23:49   #25

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 38
Can anyone confirm that the Berkshire cable is tinned? I did not see that on their site, though they did state that it was "Marine" cable.
rustypirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 03:21   #26
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustypirate View Post
Can anyone confirm that the Berkshire cable is tinned? I did not see that on their site, though they did state that it was "Marine" cable.
Yes, it is most definitely tinned.
Old 04-11-2009, 03:34   #27

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
Iv cut and striped 16 gage to 0000 for years with these...about 30 bucks...fits in your back pocket too.
Ditto
Blue Stocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:41   #28

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
OK, made my first battery cables yesterday.
First impressions, cutting with the zip tool using a dremel metal cutting wheel is... not good.
Getting a clean cut is hard, and vaporized copper and plastic goes everywhere.
I ordered the sears tool, both of them, should have been here several days ago.. but still not, so can't comment on that, except to say that sears shipping sux.

Going to harbor frieght today to get the cheapo cutter.. and we will see.

BTW, I have berkshire cable, ancor and pacer. The bershire seems to be more flexible, but when pushed, all are a bout the same. I believe it is due to the outer insulation being somewhat different.
Yes it is all tinned wire.
Getting the rubber boot over the cable seems to be pretty time consuming as well.
I am using a ancor HD cable crimper and it works beautifully. Also using HD adhesive shrink tubing from genuine dealz. Works well.
Pictures when done.
bobfnbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 16:14   #29

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition
Re: Best Way to Cut 2/0 to 4/0 Battery Cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfnbw View Post
Pictures will be posted when finished....
LOL.. in 2012 !
Bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfnbw View Post

Going to harbor frieght today to get the cheapo cutter.. and we will see.

BTW, I have berkshire cable, ancor and pacer. The bershire seems to be more flexible, but when pushed, all are a bout the same. I believe it is due to the outer insulation being somewhat different.
Yes it is all tinned wire.
Getting the rubber boot over the cable seems to be pretty time consuming as well.
I am using a ancor HD cable crimper and it works beautifully. Also using HD adhesive shrink tubing from genuine dealz. Works well.
Pictures when done.
Hi Bob,
I know it's not 2012 yet ;-), but how are you making out?
Got any good pic's?
Anything to report? Good advise?

I (and I'm sure others) would be interested to hear!

Best Regards,
Extemp.
Extemporaneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 17:03   #30

Boat: Cal 48 Wainui
Re: Best Way to Cut 2/0 to 4/0 Battery Cable

I used 2/0 with a 35' run (each way) to a ARCO 1200 windless pulling a 55lb Rocna on 3/8 chain. The engine needs to be run while using the windless or the 175 amp breaker would trip. I have used the hand cutters hundreds of times on 2/0 and 4/0 (I supply lighting and power for the entertainment industry) with no problems. 4/0 is heavy cable.
Good luck
Mark
Wainui is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery