Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2021, 14:35   #1

Boat: Hood 38 - Wauquiez
Bilge pump advice

Our yacht has its original bilge pumps - both manual and electrical in the keel area.

In a different part of the bilge near the mast we have the bilge divided into sections. These sections have a flat bottom and are about 6 inches high and 3 feet square.

Two of the sections are getting about an inch of water I think from the mast (keel stepped) but its a ongoing battle and I would prefer dry bilges.

Whats the best way to keep these areas dry? I am looking for something that perhaps could be daisy chained to do both areas.

Any recommendations?
BigAl.NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2021, 15:16   #2

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes 56
Re: Bilge pump advice

I would look into a self-priming diaphragm pump with a long suction hose that you can suck from, going from section to section. Jabsco 36600 or a variant.

Or you could just get a wet/dry shop vac and suck the water out into the vac.

Finally, you could use a microfiber towel to mop the water out into a bucket. Faster than a sponge.
Mal Reynolds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2021, 15:29   #3

Boat: Columbia 50
Re: Bilge pump advice

Take a look at arid bilge systems. They use some sort of vacuum and sponge system that gets everything out.....seen them at the boat shows

Matt
mlydon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Advice, bilge, bilge pump, pump