Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2022, 02:32   #1

Bilge pump light with automatic pump

Hi all, we would really appreciate some help.

We have a Whale supersub smart 650 bilge pump. It has 3 wires: positive, negative and override. I am confused as to where I can wire a bilge pump alert light which comes on when the pump comes on automatically.

For the manual override I can wire the light in series with the over ride positive, so the light comes on which I switch the pump on. However for the automatic mode, the pump has an internal built in water sensor. So how can I wire the light to come on when the pump automatically detects water and comes on? I assume if I wire the light to the positive terminal of the pump the light will always be on regardless of pump operation.

Many thanks for your help!
wshrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2022, 03:01   #2

Boat: Southwind 21 et al.
Re: Bilge pump light with automatic pump

Welcome to the forum. I got nothing, none of my boats have electric bilge pumps. So don't take my musings as gospel on this one...
Seems like you would really need to sense current on the black wire and light/buzzer off of that to indicate pump is running versus an indicator light that switched along with the pump (burnt out pump would still indicate 'on').

PS another active thread: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3696434
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	whale_diagrams.png
Views:	188
Size:	180.0 KB
ID:	266223  
Old 23-10-2022, 03:49   #3

[QUOTE=Spot;3696479]Welcome to the forum. I got nothing, none of my boats have electric bilge pumps. So don't take my musings as gospel on this one...
Seems like you would really need to sense current on the black wire and light/buzzer off of that to indicate pump is running versus an indicator light that switched along with the pump (burnt out pump would still indicate 'on').

Thanks for the welcome and quick reply. That's a brilliant idea!
Old 23-10-2022, 03:52   #4

Boat: Riva 48

You want to wire the indicator light to the override cable (white apparently) in parallel. That is connect the light to the override cable and ground (after the switch). If it does not work this way (unlikely), it means the pump has a relay/diode protection and then you need to disassemble the pump and tap the automatic switch.
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2022, 03:59   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzazz View Post
You want to wire the indicator light to the override cable (white apparently) in parallel. That is connect the light to the override cable and ground (after the switch). If it does not work this way (unlikely), it means the pump has a relay/diode protection and then you need to disassemble the pump and tap the automatic switch.
That's interesting. Thank you. So when the internal water sensor is activated and the pump turns on it should energise the manual over-ride wire in a "reverse" direction?
Old 23-10-2022, 05:21   #6

Boat: S&S 52

So, I am getting ready to do this with the help of my dock neighbor that has bilge pump lights on his boat at the binnacle. I am planning on doing low bilge and sump in yellow and high bilge in red. I will post how we did it.
Boots and Socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2022, 05:24   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boots and Socks View Post
So, I am getting ready to do this with the help of my dock neighbor that has bilge pump lights on his boat at the binnacle. I am planning on doing low bilge and sump in yellow and high bilge in red. I will post how we did it.
Good luck!
Old 23-10-2022, 11:43   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51

Red wire off the light tapped into black wire of the pump. Black wire off the light to battery negative Your light will then come on anytime the pump runs regardless of what turns it on ie sensing switch or over ride. Do not disassemble the pump and muck about with their switch.
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2022, 12:13   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madehn View Post
Red wire off the light tapped into black wire of the pump. Black wire off the light to battery negative Your light will then come on anytime the pump runs regardless of what turns it on ie sensing switch or over ride. Do not disassemble the pump and muck about with their switch.
Perfect. Many thanks for your help!
Old 23-10-2022, 21:50   #10

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

I'll be doing mine in the next few days. (I pinched this diagram from Hull Truth)

coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2022, 21:58   #11

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Coops diagram is how a separate float switch works but not sure about integral switch/pump. Please let us know when you install, got me interested.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2022, 22:21   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Coops diagram is how a separate float switch works but not sure about integral switch/pump. Please let us know when you install, got me interested.

Electrics is not my strong suit but I think I understand the circuit diagram.

My three way switch is MANUAL/OFF/AUTO. The rest pf the diagram seems fairly logical.

I'm going to install both tomorrow so keep in touch
Old 24-10-2022, 07:23   #13

Boat: Norseman 447

When I helped wire a boat several years ago, I ran across a "Load Sensing Indicator," called an LSI 55. Just Google it. Apply 12v to it and it lights up green. Put a load on the other terminals, and it lights red. Clearly indicates that the pump motor is drawing current, not just that the voltage is applied to the motor. It’s perfect for your use case. Connect it to the red and black wires to the pump.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2022, 15:31   #14

Boat: Ericson 27

This one is really simple. All you have to do is wire the indicator between +12v and the manual override line. When the pump turns on, it’s internal switch will pull that manual override to negative, and when you use the manual switch, it will also turn on the light.
hjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2022, 16:07   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
Electrics is not my strong suit but I think I understand the circuit diagram.

My three way switch is MANUAL/OFF/AUTO. The rest pf the diagram seems fairly logical.

I'm going to install both tomorrow so keep in touch

This is the diagram I meant to attach
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BilgePumpIndicator.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	266329  

Tags
bilge, bilge pump, pump