Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2020, 14:57   #1

block island 40 panel issues

my block island 40 yawl was built by metalmast in 1976. i was recently looking for the negative bus somewhere near the panel --but no luck. looked everywhere without success. any guidance much appreciated.
jeffaronson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2020, 17:10   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: block island 40 panel issues

Follow the negative lead from the battery. It will usually go to the engine and also to the -ve bus (unless the engine block is being used as the -ve bus).
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2020, 17:45   #3

thanks for your reply. however there are 20. negative wires that must be accounted for....
Old 19-06-2020, 17:53   #4
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffaronson View Post
thanks for your reply. however there are 20. negative wires that must be accounted for....
There is no requirement that they are terminated anywhere near the panel.
If you are looking for a -ve bus, you might find it at some distance from the panel.

Or you might find several common -ve points scattered around the boat however they will all find their way back the -ve terminal post on the battery which is why I suggested you start tracing from the battery. It will lead you to wherever the bus (or busses) are located.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2020, 17:55   #5

ok many thanks
Old 20-06-2020, 14:28   #6

Boat: Block Island 40

I agree with Wotname. Follow the trail of the black cables. I have a newer vintage of a BI40. The panel is behind the ladder. I flip the panel down and the neg bus is on the starboard side on the floor of the locker. Good luck.
paulie4203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2020, 14:37   #7

Boat: Amel 53, Super Maramu

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffaronson View Post
If you have 20 wires attached to your battery (!), maybe your battery post is acting as the negative bus? This is terrible practice, messy and hard to work with. It might be time for a serious rewire.
SVHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote