Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2020, 22:37   #1

Boat: Swarbrick 40
Blue Sea 120 amp ACR question.

Hi. I'm currently installing an ACR. I would like to know if it's absolutely necessary to wire it to the engine start. I believe it's optional.
On my boat, it's a real challenge to get to and figure out the correct wire at or near the starter motor. I need to use a mirror just to see it.
I could go all the way to the start Pannell but that's allot of effort and distance.
So! Do I wait until my grandson is old enough tie a rope to him and squeeze him into their with a screw driver strapped to his hand. Or can I give it a miss?
Cheers.Click image for larger version

Name:	1595741812958.jpeg
Views:	124
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	220022
Old 25-07-2020, 23:04   #2
rbk

Boat: T37
Re: Blue Sea 120 amp ACR question.

They’re wired between two banks, one could be your start. Ideally your charting sources all go to your house bank and the ACR goes between the house bank and your secondary (start) bank not your starter.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2020, 23:59   #3

Thanks RBK.
I have the 2 main wires to the start and the other to the house.
There is an option to run a 4th wire which takes off from the base Of The act and hooks up to your ignition.
It's called a"Start Isolation". It protects electronics from voltage sags and spikes during cranking.
Read that off the pack.
Old 26-07-2020, 00:13   #4
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
They’re wired between two banks, one could be your start. Ideally your charting sources all go to your house bank and the ACR goes between the house bank and your secondary (start) bank not your starter.
If your ACR is engaged because any charging source connected to either bank such as a solar, wind, or shorepower charger has raised battery voltage high enough to the combining threshold, then the banks will have been combined and NOT separated any longer.

The start isolation input is there to override the relay so that the engine start battery stays isolated from the house bank when the engine is being cranked over to avoid any voltage sags from the starter motor cranking on the start battery being seen at the house bank.

https://www.bluesea.com/support/articles/63/Overcoming_Dropout_of_House_Electronics_during_Eng ine_Starting
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2020, 00:48   #5

No it’s not Necessary . I never use it.
smac999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2020, 08:07   #6
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar Long Range Trawler; 53'; BearBoat

@BlackHeron #4 is spot on.

@smac999 #5 may or may not be correct. Voltage sag caused by starting the engine is a function of the system; voltage drop in the starting circuit, condition of the starter motor, condition of the propulsion engine, etc. If your engine starter sags the voltage when engaged, the boat’s navigational instruments may drop below their minimum voltage threshold and shutdown. Try it without the SI and see. You can correct later if it is a problem.
"The Devil is in the details and so is salvation."
CharlieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2020, 08:20   #7

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

The instruction manual shows the optional start isolation wire going to the start switch, not the starter. ( In reality it can go anywhere on the the start wire.)

http://assets.bluesea.com/files/reso.../990170140.pdf
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2020, 08:31   #8

Thanks.
So it looks like it's not going to damage anything if I don't hook it up.
I can always connect it if needed down the track.
Thanks for the quick responses.
Old 26-07-2020, 08:33   #9
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar Long Range Trawler; 53'; BearBoat

@cal40john #7 is also spot on.
Here is the sequence: when the start key (or start button) is engaged to start the engine it also applies B+ to the SI tab which disengages the ACR in a few mS so the starter only draws from the starting battery. When the momentary key switch or start button is released, B+ is removed from the starter solenoid and from the SI tab on the ACR and, if the combining parameters for the ACR are still met, the ACR will re-combine start and house banks.

BTW, these ACRs are bulletproof. I have several installed on loneliness and they can’t screw them up��
"The Devil is in the details and so is salvation."
CharlieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2020, 12:53   #10
Senior Cruiser

If you do eventually put the start isolation interlock in from the ignition circuit be sure to follow all the fusing recommendations from the wiring diagram in the instructions. The same goes for all the fusing, even the ine in the ground from the ACR. They are there for a reason.

The fuses on the battery interconnect wires to the ACR should be sized according to the directions as well, and may be quite large depending on your system. I used ANL fuses and fuse-holders since they are robust, reasonably priced, and commonly available in many sizes as they are used extensively in the car audio world. All of my larger fuses are type ANL.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170606_142723828~2.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	430.6 KB
ID:	220047  
Old 26-07-2020, 13:20   #11
rbk

Boat: T37

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeron View Post
If your ACR is engaged because any charging source connected to either bank such as a solar, wind, or shorepower charger has raised battery voltage high enough to the combining threshold, then the banks will have been combined and NOT separated any longer.

The start isolation input is there to override the relay so that the engine start battery stays isolated from the house bank when the engine is being cranked over to avoid any voltage sags from the starter motor cranking on the start battery being seen at the house bank.

https://www.bluesea.com/support/arti...ngine_Starting
I was worried he was trying to wire the ACR in between his alt and his starter or something along those lines. It wasn’t really too clear with the initial post. I also wouldn’t worry too much about connecting the SI either unless you have a ton of high draw electronics on all the time. Just a chartplotter, vhf etc they can take some abuse.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2020, 13:52   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

You simple have B+ A+ and ground-
Battery charger goes to B "ONLY"
That's all.
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2020, 14:58   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeron View Post
If you do eventually put the start isolation interlock in from the ignition circuit be sure to follow all the fusing recommendations from the wiring diagram in the instructions. The same goes for all the fusing, even the ine in the ground from the ACR. They are there for a reason.

The fuses on the battery interconnect wires to the ACR should be sized according to the directions as well, and may be quite large depending on your system. I used ANL fuses and fuse-holders since they are robust, reasonably priced, and commonly available in many sizes as they are used extensively in the car audio world. All of my larger fuses are type ANL.
I have fuses. ANL. Mega & the terminal fuses.
Click image for larger version

Name:	1595800673878.jpeg
Views:	159
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	220050
Old 26-07-2020, 15:23   #14
Senior Cruiser

I like that ANL fuse bank. Is that a BSS product? Looks pretty slick.
Old 27-07-2020, 11:38   #15

The simple answer to the OP's question is: you can use the start isolation wire or not bother. If you don't use the function, the ACR just doesn't isolate the start battery during the startup process... that's it.

While the instructions say to run the SI wire to the ignition switch where the solenoid wire is attached, it can be attached to the other end where it meets the solenoid on the starter itself. DO NOT attach the SI wire to the starter cable!!

The purpose of Start Isolation is to help protect sensitive electronic equipment from surge and sags created in the starting circuit during startup. In order for the SI function to work at all, your boat must have separated Start and House circuits.

Some boat systems are wired through the basic 1,both,2,Off switch so that everything (electronics and starter) are always combined to the power source, regardless of the switch selection (Batt#1 or Both or Batt#2 powers everything). The SI function won't work in this case so there's not much point in hooking it up. In my own setup, I've added in a second 1,Both,2,Off switch that allows me to power the House and Start loads separately. I can also use this switch for an emergency jumpstart without using the fused House circuit and as an emergency shut off in the start circuit.
SeaBreeze-1 is offline   Reply With Quote