Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2020, 10:36   #1

Both dc-dc Charger and combiner

My question is can I use both; more specially I have a start battery which my alternator is currently attached to which powers my dc-dc charger( 30 amp Orion tr) which in the case of motoring, charging my Lithium house bank at the 30 amp rate. I have solar hooked up directly through MPPTs to the house bank. So now if I am not motoring I have no way to charge the start batteries ( also my shore charger charges my house bank). Can I use a combiner ( I currently own a magnum 25amp combiner) to also go back from house to start battery.
HC43C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 13:43   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
Re: Both dc-dc Charger and combiner

It seems this is setup to me more complicated than it needs to be. Just send all charge sources, properly regulated, to the house bank, and then use the DC-DC charger to keep the start battery happy.

Chris (from Balmar)
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 13:59   #3

If I did send all charger sources through the house I fear my alternator could be severely damaged with my lithium bank. I went through the trouble of using a dc-dc charger in the first place to eliminate the alternator issue. I could eliminate my ability to charge my lithium bank and simply rewire the dc-dc from house to start but I lose the alternator to house in that perhaps you can elaborate and a more simple method of charging the house using an alternator?
Old 10-07-2020, 14:39   #4
Marine Service Provider

The best way is to use an externally regulator, paired with an alternator either designed to work with external regulation, or converted to same. For the regulator, our MC-614 works very well, has a lithium battery profile, and should be used with a alternator temp sensor to protect the alternator.

I have seen a trend of many people putting in lithium and going the dc-dc route without changing much else. This approach really robs you of one of the greatest benefits of lithium - fast charging. If you mostly sail from the dock, it is a valid approach IMHO. If you are cruising for multiple days, the limitations become apparent quickly.

Chris
Old 10-07-2020, 14:57   #5

I have had this setup for a bit now and my limitation is my start battery charging when sailing for a long period of time. If I could go back perhaps I would have spent money differently and went a different route than dc-dc but I have 1000 watts solar with a d400 wind gen, I don’t have a huge issue with power on my house bank. The setup I currently have has the dc-dc charger in the case that my solar and wind were to fail, and I need a back up for charging via the engine which I don’t intend to use outside of propulsion ( which I understand is more limited via the dc-dc charger (30amp) ). I would like to solve my current problem and provide a charge to my start battery with my current set up complicated or not. If the answer is to scrap what I have and do as you say than so be it but I was hoping to see if there is another method first. Thank you though!
Old 10-07-2020, 15:05   #6
Marine Service Provider

If it just emergency combining that you are attempting address, then a simple cable with an on-off switch would work, appropriately sized and rated. A combiner that is switchable and usually off would work too, I imagine.

In my two-year cruising with LFP, opportunistic alternator charging was a very useful tool. Cruisers motor alot. We had a wind geen too, but 120w of solar and then later an additional 165w.

Chris
Old 10-07-2020, 18:03   #7

why do you need to charge the start battery?

how long is the boat sitting between starts? months?
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 18:26   #8

Honestly, I think I may be overthinking this all, the longest would be 2-3 weeks. And to be honest my start battery is a cheap little lead acid I can replace and abuse, I get the feeling all this extra is a moot point, but it feels good bouncing ideas off of people. I’m full time cruising so I will be using my motor more often than not. I think you may have struck a chord here smac, and I really appreciate the input from witzgall. Thanks guys !
Old 11-07-2020, 09:18   #9

Boat: 1998 Moody 40

Another option is to attach one of your solar MPPTs to your start battery, and leave the DC-Dc as is so any overflow goes to the house bank.
No need to buy anything else.
SkipMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 09:54   #10

Skipmarc, I thought about that, I have my panels balanced in a series-parallel lineup so to make that work I would need to add another controller and have my solar unbalanced. I may add a small 15 watt or something to do the job somehow, personally I rather not break apart my current solar setup though, good idea though!

Tags
charger