Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2023, 15:36   #1

Boat: Hunter 336
Breaker by shore power inlet serves as main breaker?

I am adding a second shore power circuit. I will add, as advised, a 30 amp double pole breaker, 2 ft from my shore power inlet.

Inside the cabin 15 ft away I need to add a branch panel with 3 breakers to feed my Aircon, Microwave and Outlets.

Does the panel inside also need to have a 30amp main breaker or does the one near the inlet suffice?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shore Power Wiring.png
Views:	49
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	283194  
gpsatsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2023, 16:10   #2

Unhappy Re: Breaker by shore power inlet serves as main breaker?

Just FYI, our Hunter 36 is setup with a main breaker for the second shore power panel, in addition to the breaker near the inlet. Whether it is required, I don't know. So perhaps that's not much help.
leecea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2023, 20:05   #3

Re: Breaker by shore power inlet serves as main breaker?

On a Hunter 336 you need TWO 30 amp circuits??? Really? I mean, really?

We run a 53 foot boat with AC and electric cooking with a single 30A line. Never have to think about power use, it has all we ever need. We must be doing something very wrong.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2023, 20:22   #4

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Highly advise using GFI/RCD, (whatever you want to call them,) breakers close to the shore power inlet(s).
Same on the dock.
Want to add another layer of safety?
Use GFCI outlets as "feed thru" devices for installed equipment, and make sure all plug-in outlets are GFCI protected.
Go around and push the "test" buttons at regular intervals.
Old 08-11-2023, 20:28   #5

Boat: Baba 35

You could take your neutral off that double pole breaker straight to a bus bar. The hot wire needs to go to another breaker before it branches off. If the wire is rated for 30 amp you have to put a 30 amp. Then branch off with smaller wires with smaller breakers and or fuses or whatever.
ttex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2023, 20:37   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttex View Post
You could take your neutral off that double pole breaker straight to a bus bar. The hot wire needs to go to another breaker before it branches off. If the wire is rated for 30 amp you have to put a 30 amp. Then branch off with smaller wires with smaller breakers and or fuses or whatever.

Defeating the purpose of a double pole breaker ... no thanks.

and what ?
Join it to a bus bar with the neutral of the other service ... no thanks.
Old 09-11-2023, 04:09   #7

The answer to the original question is no, you don't need to add another main breaker as long as you are using a double pole at the inlet.

As Bowdrie mentioned, use an ELCI(US term) or RCD (Europe term) for the 30 amp double pole shore power breaker. That has been an ABYC recommendation for about 5 years now and a suggested refit for older boats.
Fishspearit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 05:40   #8

Boat: Baba 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Defeating the purpose of a double pole breaker ... no thanks.

and what ?
Join it to a bus bar with the neutral of the other service ... no thanks.
I don't know why I make comments late at night. I always cringe in the morning. My bad.
ttex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 07:27   #9

Boat: Hunter 336

Thanks everyone for the input. I just re-read all of chapter 11 and I agree with fishspearit that the answer is "no". If you have the appropriate breaker (GFCI or ELCI) located next to the AC inlet, you can wire that directly to a distribution panel that does not have a master breaker. Option A

After all that trouble, I may still go with Option B and buy the panel that does have the master breaker. The difference is only $50 if I go with Paneltronics. The main reason is that it has a polarity indicator built in which would be more visible to me than checking the one in the back of the boat.

Thanks again.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Paneltronic options AB.png
Views:	38
Size:	184.6 KB
ID:	283220  
gpsatsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 19:51   #10

at 15' i honestly wouldn't bother with the inlet breaker and just have a main at panel. just make sure the wire is well protected and secured.

I know abyc is 10'. but that number is arbitrary. they are just trying to reduce the chances of a short in that section of wire from inlet to breaker by having it semi close. I'd rather have 15' of well protected cable. then 8' of crap job wire. which I see all the time.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 19:57   #11
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
at 15' i honestly wouldn't bother with the inlet breaker and just have a main at panel. just make sure the wire is well protected and secured.

I know abyc is 10'. but that number is arbitrary. they are just trying to reduce the chances of a short in that section of wire from inlet to breaker by having it semi close. I'd rather have 15' of well protected cable. then 8' of crap job wire. which I see all the time.
... and a decent surveyor will note that on the next insurance survey and the OP will be forced to correct it or lose insurance... or if there is a fire and the wiring was not installed to ABYC Standards his claim could be denied.
Old 09-11-2023, 19:59   #12

Quote:
... and a decent surveyor will note that on the next insurance survey and the OP will be forced to correct it or lose insurance... or if there is a fire and the wiring was not installed to ABYC Standards his claim could be denied.

on the 1000's of boats I've worked on. I bet less then 20% have an ac main within 10' of the shore plug. from the factory.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 20:06   #13
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
on the 1000's of boats I've worked on. I bet less then 20% have an ac main within 10' of the shore plug. from the factory.
Over 5000 surveys in 30 years and I have seen 3 boats that were fully ABYC compliant ... all three were home built.
It's the OP's choice, insurance hassle or insurance no hassle.
Old 11-11-2023, 00:29   #14

Boat: Ericson 27

When we did an electrical re-fit on our E27, we added an ASI NDB1L-32C-32-120V breaker (about $60 CAD from Amazon) in a small DIN case right in the Lazarette behind our shorepower inlet. It's 32A, with 30mA leakage detection.

We also added a couple of Bluesea 120v LEDs as well (green one to indicate power on, red one to indicate polarity reversal).

It's great to have right there, we can unload the cord before unplugging it just by flipping the breaker.

We have also tested the breaker with an appropriate tester and confirmed that it trips around 30mA.
hjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2023, 00:52   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
... I know abyc is 10'. but that number is arbitrary. they are just trying to reduce the chances of a short in that section of wire from inlet to breaker ...
Quote:
Over 5000 surveys in 30 years and I have seen 3 boats that were fully ABYC compliant ... all three were home built.
It's the OP's choice, insurance hassle or insurance no hassle.
Interesting.
Is my emphasis, on FULLY, appropriate?

All specific regulations are "somewhat" arbitrary - lines, between acceptable, and unacceptable, have to be drawn somewhere. Your choice, in deciding which rules to ignore, is also, somewhat arbitrary.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, shore power