Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2013, 15:44   #1

Boat: Shin Fa 458 Custom Cutter but looks like a Liberty 458
Bubbling batteries.

I just checked my batteries(6 volt lead acid) and found them bubbling a bit when I took off the caps even though there was no charger running at the time. Don't remember ever seeing that before. They are on their last legs after an electrical failure at the marina where I am(Philippines). Planning on replacing soon anyway but thought the bubbling was a bit bizarre.
I know this will bring about a series of huge conversations(like asking who to vote for President)but are Trojans good batteries. Not much available out here that is reputable with a decent warranty that might be covered worldwide.
mestrezat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:11   #2

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Re: Bubbling batteries.

Trojans are considered a good brand, and probably have a large dealer network for warranty work.

If they're not charging, I wouldn't expect the batteries to be bubbling, unless the charging just stopped and the bubbles haven't all gotten to the top yet.

If you have a good 6V golf-cart style battery, they can survive some deep cycling and may still be OK, if not 100% like new. If they take and hold a charge, you might get another season out of them. That said, batteries don't get any better over time. If there's any doubt, new batteries are the way to go.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:23   #3
Zil

a day or two out is not a good place to change the house bank.
Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:29   #4

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestrezat View Post
I just checked my batteries(6 volt lead acid) and found them bubbling a bit when I took off the caps even though there was no charger running at the time. Don't remember ever seeing that before. They are on their last legs after an electrical failure at the marina where I am(Philippines). Planning on replacing soon anyway but thought the bubbling was a bit bizarre.
I know this will bring about a series of huge conversations(like asking who to vote for President)but are Trojans good batteries. Not much available out here that is reputable with a decent warranty that might be covered worldwide.
If they are bubbling off absent any charge being applied, they have an internal short that is generating the necessary heat and are accordingly beyond rescue. Trojans are excellent batteries assuming you are able to obtain real Trojans and not Chinese knockoffs where you are.

N'any case, good luck!
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 19:03   #5

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

I am having a similar problem. My vessel is on the hard and I had everything turned off this week... the alternator and the power cable is the only way to charge the batts. The engine hadn't been run and the power cable was stored for the week. All breakers off, etc...

When I lifted the cover where the batteries are stored, I noticed that one battery had some fluid on the top. When I took the fill cover off, I noticed it was bubbling. The other two batteries looked fine.

This just happened today. Deka Master Marine DC27's

- z
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote