Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2016, 06:37   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose
Re: Building A Battery Box For AGMs

Skylark uses racing boat battery trays and tiedowns to hold her 5 AGM batteries. I wasn't so concerned about ventilation, rather I wanted to be sure that the batteries can't move in a knockdown or roll over.

I forget the manufacturer, but these are shallow stainless steel trays and all the parts are stainless.

Something like these...
https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...1201/overview/
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2016, 12:23   #17

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by hzcruiser View Post
My old lead acid (LA) and the newer AGMs are touching, even slightly compressed by the straps and hold-down bar I'm using. However, if you're really concerned about heat build-up and really think ventilation is crucial to prevent some sort of over heating, you cannot have them touch and also might want to install a thermometer with an alarm to let you know something is wrong.

Thanks. I don't have boxes now, just trays/hold-downs, and I'm not hard over on needing boxes anyway. If I do go that route, I wonder if a small strip of Starboard or some such between batts in a box would be useful...

-Chris
Old 15-11-2016, 12:31   #18

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
If batteries are in a box, is it OK if they're so close they're touching?

I'm considering a couple of Noco commercial boxes for two pairs of 6V AGMs. https://no.co/hm426

Internal dimensions make it look like Lifeline GPL-4CTs (for example) would be a snug fit.

-Chris
I honestly think those boxes are a waste of money, particularly for AGMs. They're expensive, take up extra space, and prevent easy visual inspection of your batteries. You'd be better off building something yourself that suits your specific installation.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2016, 13:01   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
If batteries are in a box, is it OK if they're so close they're touching?

I'm considering a couple of Noco commercial boxes for two pairs of 6V AGMs. https://no.co/hm426

Internal dimensions make it look like Lifeline GPL-4CTs (for example) would be a snug fit.

-Chris

In my opinion you don't need boxes, I have those batteries myself.
But ideally you want some space for air circulation, but honestly being well insulated in a plastic box, I'm not so sure how well batteries cool off anyway.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
agm, battery, battery box