Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2016, 14:37   #1

Boat: ODAY 28
cal 34 mast wiring

helping on a cal 34 mast wiring, how to get wiring from botton of mast into cabin, I can not see any access plate of botton of the mast or the instide of the cabain
boeing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 22:37   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1984 Catalina 22, 2005 Carolina Skiff 24, 1989 BW Outrage 19, BW SS 15
Re: cal 34 mast wiring

Not at my boat right now, but my wiring comes into the cabin here:

standing between the two main bulkheads looking aft (the head's sink would be to your right) the wiring enters at the upper right (port side) corner of the door frame. There may be a piece of trim covering it.
Azul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 06:40   #3

Boat: ODAY 28

Thanks, I will take another I look when I get on his boat, I do not remember seeing a small piece of trim in that location, however I could of overlooked it.
boeing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 18:43   #4

Boat: Clipper Marine 30'

Does it come down inside of the mast? I too am just having the same conundrum.

I can see beneath the salon seat (most forward and near centerline the wires go up inside of the "support" for the mast.

However I have a long piece of wire coming down the outside of the mast from previous owners that was cut and do not know where it is suppose to be routed? Also, slightly unrelated, what "serves" as the ground in a Cal 34? (1968).
IterationsInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 06:31   #5

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Deck stepped mast on Cal34s. That means the wiring and antennae need to go thru the deck. Usually there is some kind of waterproof connector for power next to the mast. For the antennae there is usually some kind of theu deck fitting that allows the cable to be unbroken, no intermediate connection between the antennae and the back of the radio.
Adelie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 11:17   #6

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by boeing1 View Post
helping on a cal 34 mast wiring, how to get wiring from botton of mast into cabin, I can not see any access plate of botton of the mast or the instide of the cabain
On our former yacht, a 1976 Cal 2-29, and a friend's similar era Cal 34, both with deck-stepped masts, there was an approximately 12" high tube in the form of an inverted J positioned in the center of the mast step that exited within the boat above the mast supporting column that is positioned against the forward salon bulkhead. Mast wiring, including the cable for the radio antenna and masthead lights was routed through the mast supporting column, exiting under the sole in the bilge. The inverted J shape resulted in an up facing loop in the cables and prevented water from running downward along the cables and entering the interior of the yacht. Unfortunately, pulling wiring through the fitting was a tedious job when the mast was restepped and most people reverted to using a waterproof plug in the cables, connected as the mast was lowered into position.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, mast, wiring