Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2022, 20:51   #1

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1350
Can a 50A 240V Battery Charger Damage a 2000W Generator?

I have recently purchased a Victron Phoenix 12/50 (1+1) 240V Smart battery charger and installed it on my boat which has 480AH of AGM batteries. I used to have a Projecta 50A charger which failed. I run the charger from either mains shore power at the marina or from a 2000W inverter generator when out sailing. After three days of charging (1 hour per day) from my original generator (a generic version of the Honda 2000i) and this new battery charger the generator failed - it showed AC overload and stopped generating AC. However even after I disconnected the load I still couldn’t get the generator to run again. The engine itself runs fine but within two minutes of starting it the AC overload light comes on and the AC circuits cut out. Numerous resets and restarts don’t change this.

So I came back into port and borrowed a generator from a friend to head out again. This is a fairly new Yamaha EF2000is.

On the second day of running this generator it started labouring and the AC cut out though it didn’t show overload. Now the generator will start but runs very slowly and won’t produce power at all, with the engine then cutting out after about two minutes. This is with no electrical load connected at all.

I'm using quality. fresh, clean fuel so this is not the issue. I am in Australia if this influences frequencies etc.

I have a few questions which I am hoping users here may be able to assist with:

- Could the new battery charger be causing these generator issues as it seems too strong a coincidence that two otherwise perfectly fine generators have failed within hours of having the new charger plugged in - after years of successfully running other chargers in this way. The generators at 2000W have plenty of capacity to provide 50A @ 12V - but could the draw from the charger or some fault in the charger be stressing some component in the AC generation side of the generators and causing this to fail?

- Has anyone had similar experiences with any chargers or with Victron chargers in particular?

- Does anyone have any suggestions on things to look at in the generators to diagnose what is wrong with them?

I am loathe to plug another $2000 generator into this charger until I understand a bit more about what is going on! So any advice or suggestions is appreciated!
Smooth Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2022, 23:59   #2

Re: Can a 50A 240V Battery Charger Damage a 2000W Generator?

sorry never mind if you read previous post. a 50a 12v charger should have no issue with a 2000w gen. as long as a bunch of other stuff is not on as well. IE hot water tank ect.

I would get a clamp meter and measure the actual current draw of the charger. (and / or anything else on) it's probaly around 4-5a and that honda should do 7.5a all day long
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, charger, generator