Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2017, 17:43   #31

Boat: Luger, Southwind, 21
Re: Can I Run A 12V Outboard Off My Solar Array

Google "Super Capacitors battery." It will get the neurons firing and Super Capacitors are lighter than flooded lead acid or AGMs.
lonesoldier0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 18:18   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonesoldier0408 View Post
Google "Super Capacitors battery." It will get the neurons firing and Super Capacitors are lighter than flooded lead acid or AGMs.
According to the figures I've seen, supercapacitors have much lower energy density that FLA/AGM. (around 0.01-0.03 MJ/Kg compared to 0.14 for LA)

They also suffer from a linear discharge/voltage curve and very rapid self discharge.

They may be good for short duration, high current applications with a very high potential charging source, but they would be far from optimal for typical boat applications.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 18:26   #33

Fast recharge from solar could extend range, add smaller LiPo battery. Again, easier on the back.

Note to self: Remember to not grow old.! 😕😂😂😂

Maxwell Technologies ESM (Engine Start Module.)
Old 06-01-2017, 19:27   #34
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone2long View Post
......but I did not think that changing a battery from one "bank" to another would be that simple. If I understand you correctly, all I really need to do is disconnect the + and - of one of the engine batteries and reconnect them in similarly parallel structure to one of the house batteries. Correct?
G2L
It is easier than that. Battery negatives are all common so you only have to move the positive connection.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 19:53   #35

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva Espańa
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
However they suffer from several problems:
1] They are complex systems with lots that can go wrong, not so hot in the marine environment. Give it a decade or two then maybe.
2] They suffer from low power density, anything that will push your dinghy very far will occupy a lot of room in the boat.
3] If you short the terminals on a full charge, the item doing the shorting will EXPLODE. There is nothing inherent in capacitor to limit amperage. Batteries when shorted with generate enough amperage to melt steel but there is enough internal resistance that the stored energy takes a while to get out and amperage maxes out at 400-500 amps. With capacitors there is no such internal resistance so all the stored energy comes out all at once, hence explosion.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 01:50   #36

This is a totally different ballgame from powering the mother ship.

A 100AH deep cycle battery, can supply an hours worth of output at 50amps. Assuming a small trolling motor, that should be good in most places to get into shore and back a couple times per day. Roughly 1.5hrs of your daily charge should get you close to topped up out of the assumed 4hrs.

If you are thinking of having the dingy plane, you need a much larger motor and it gets silly pretty quick.

As others have said, get a dedicate deep cycle battery for the dingy and add a charging port.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 06:25   #37
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post

A 100AH deep cycle battery, can supply an hours worth of output at 50amps.
At 50 amps a lot less than 1 hour if you do not want to go below 50%!

It is only a 100 AH battery if the draw is 5 amps.
Old 10-01-2017, 06:15   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
It is easier than that. Battery negatives are all common so you only have to move the positive connection.
Also, if I want to temporarily remove all batteries in a bank, in order to make sure no damage is done to the solar array, I need to pull the batteries at night; correct?

Thanks again,

G2L
Gone2long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 06:18   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post

A 100AH deep cycle battery, can supply an hours worth of output at 50amps. Assuming a small trolling motor, that should be good in most places to get into shore and back a couple times per day. Roughly 1.5hrs of your daily charge should get you close to topped up out of the assumed 4hrs.

If you are thinking of having the dingy plane, you need a much larger motor and it gets silly pretty quick.

As others have said, get a dedicate deep cycle battery for the dingy and add a charging port.
No problem. Not planning to go anywhere fast in the dinghy, and will only be doing short runs.

Thanks for your input,

G2L
Old 10-01-2017, 06:53   #40
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Also, if I want to temporarily remove all batteries in a bank, in order to make sure no damage is done to the solar array, I need to pull the batteries at night; correct?

Thanks again,

G2L
No, the controller will stop a reverse flow of current.
Old 10-01-2017, 08:31   #41

Removing the solar connection from the controller before disconnecting the batteries, protects the controller. Covering the panels is also a best practice procedure.
Old 12-01-2017, 03:14   #42

Quote:
Removing the solar connection from the controller before disconnecting the batteries, protects the controller. Covering the panels is also a best practice procedure.
If I temporarily remove all the batteries out of the house bank, but leave all the engine batteries in their bank, I assume that there would be no negative effect on the system. Is that correct?
Old 12-01-2017, 06:29   #43

Less elegant than Mitiempo's outstanding photo but perhaps more attainable is a flexible solar panel sized just below the controller-required threshold for your battery. The one I observed was screwed directly into the stern dinghy seat.
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 08:56   #44

Keep the negative on the engine bank? What cable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
Hmm ... I did notice that there were a bunch of grounds all connected to this one bar on the side of the engine bank. So, what you are saying is that, if the battery I am switching to the house bank is now in the engine bank, I can leave the negative connected to the engine bank, and simply connect the positive to the last battery of the house bank, correct?

Also, suppose I use a heavy, starter cable wire (1 gauge, which I have on hand) for that last positive run when the rest of the house bank and the engine bank are wired with AWG 6 boat cable. Any problem doing that? Also have some AWG 6 welding cable laying around. It has less strands but heavier ones, and is a bit inflexible, but seems like it would do the job. Couldn't find boat cable where I am now.

Whaddaya think?

G2L
Old 12-01-2017, 09:02   #45

Quote:
If I temporarily remove all the batteries out of the house bank, but leave all the engine batteries in their bank, I assume that there would be no negative effect on the system. Is that correct?

Assuming the charge controller is attached directly to the start batteries, yes. If it must pass through a combiner from the house bank, no. Follow the electrical loop logic. Anything breaking the loop, stops the activity. The controllers, I've seen say, battery power loss while panels are connected causes controller damage/failure. A relay on the panel side, powered by the battery bank, "SHOULD," protect the controller. This would add to power consumption, but save the controller.

Tags
solar, outboard