Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2011, 15:14   #1

Can I separate two pairs of batteries?

I apologize for posting an RV question here, but you all seem very smart about this stuff and I'm getting really mixed answers from RVer's. I hope you'll indulge me and give some thought to the following question which I suspect is highly relevant to boaters as well. Here goes:

I recently purchased a 10 year old Class C Bornfree. On the drivers side there is space for two deep cells, but no more. I'd like to add two more deep cells. There is a storage bay on the passenger side of the coach that I am going to put a Magnum inverter in. I'd like to add two deep cycles so that I would have a total of four. My plan would be to buy 4 new 6 volt golf cart batteries. There would be about 6 feet of separation between the two sets of batteries. The problem is that I am getting answers all over the map about whether this is a good idea. Several RV tech and sales people have said I can do it if I use suffeciently heavy wire. The Magnum tech guy told me that it is not a good idea because even with really heavy gauge wire, the batteries would drawn down differently.

What do you all think? Is this something that can be done in such a way that I am not harming the battery set and in such a way that I am not reducing the power available from the battery set?

Thanks,

Steve
Stevebellevue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 15:47   #2
Eternal Member

Re: Can I separate two pairs of batteries?

Steve,

It's no problem at all. I have six T-105 golf carts on my boat: two on the starboard side and four on the port side. There is about a 10' separation, all are connected together in series/parallel to yield one 675AH house bank, and they've been going strong for some 5 years.

The trick is:

1. use heavy cable and very good lugs and connections; for your 6' separation I'd say no less than 1/0 guage; 2/0 would be better; and

2. hook them up so that the positive load comes off one end of the chain, and the negative off the other.

Good luck,

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 15:59   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Steve, as Bill says. This is a good article that explains it well:

SmartGauge Electronics - Interconnecting multiple batteries to form one larger bank

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 06:52   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Steve.

The Magnum tech guy is technically right; but, as RV tech and sales people have said, the difference in "draw down" would be insignificant if utilizing large enough cables.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:24   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Steve, as Bill says. This is a good article that explains it well:

SmartGauge Electronics - Interconnecting multiple batteries to form one larger bank

Pete
Thanks Pete
That is a great resource.

ShaunJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery