Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2022, 08:28   #31

Boat: 1973 Chris craft Corinthian
Re: Can someone please please help me

I need to go to work and then when I'm off I'm gonna add more fuel to rule that out. Then unscrew the wall the access the heater and find out what type of espar it is, and try and learn more about the heater online. Good idea! How would I check that?
Ariarar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2022, 09:11   #32

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 44

Ariar:

A boat that experiences neglected maintenance (not a criticism of you) will produce endless expensive difficulties. You'll need to choose whether or not you want to deal with these.

For example, diesel fuel is susceptible to deterioration and microbe growth. If untreated, this fuel deterioration clogs fuel lines and filters. This could be all or part of your problem with the Espar heater which runs on diesel.

Some simple steps to take regarding the Espar and fuel. The diagnostic question is, 'Is fuel getting to the heater?'
- Is there fuel in the tank? If no, put some in and see what happens.
- Is there a fuel line clog? Has anyone purchased fuel since you've been on the boat? If it has been sitting for a long time without any biocides to kill growth, you likely have contaminated diesel fuel and someone will need to deal with that. Contaminated fuel will show up as clogs in the fuel line or filters.
- Is there a fuel line leak? With my Espar, I once had a tiny leak that allowed air in the fuel line and the fuel would drain out of the fuel line back into the tank. The Espar couldn't pump the fuel through the length of fuel line fast enough to light before the 'no flame' warning came on.
- Check the fuel pump, you should hear a clicking sound when the heater is trying to light.
A la carte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2022, 09:21   #33

Thank you for the reply!

Last winter the heater worked for about a week. The fuel indicator suggests that there's a quarter tank of gas in there. But that could totally be off. After work today I am going to add some fuel into the tank and see if that solves the problem. Hopefully that is the issue and I'm just dumb. Next I will unscrew the wall and find out what type of heater I exactly have. Then I will do some research to find out more information on the heater and learn more in depth about how the heater works and the parts associated it with it. I texted the owners last night and have not received a response but if I do I will ask more information such as if the tanks are separate from the engines and if the engines are regular gas or diesel because I am unsure. I thought they were diesel but my boyfriend told me he was unsure and so now I feel unsure. I will take pictures and post online what the heater looks like and I will look up the serial number, the manufacturer and search up if other people have experienced this problem. I am starting to learn what a glow plug is and I'm suspecting that might be it the issue if it's not fuel. For the most part people have been very helpful and I feel like I have a place I can start. I begged the owners to come to the boat I'm just waiting for a response hopefully the boat won't sink during that time lol. l Thank you so so much for the suggestion. It's been since last winter, before we got the code, that we added fuel, so if there is fuel in there it's sat in the tank for a year. Should I be worried of contamination?
Old 13-12-2022, 09:31   #34
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariarar View Post
Thank you for the reply!

Last winter the heater worked for about a week. The fuel indicator suggests that there's a quarter tank of gas in there. But that could totally be off. After work today I am going to add some fuel into the tank and see if that solves the problem. Hopefully that is the issue and I'm just dumb. Next I will unscrew the wall and find out what type of heater I exactly have. Then I will do some research to find out more information on the heater and learn more in depth about how the heater works and the parts associated it with it. I texted the owners last night and have not received a response but if I do I will ask more information such as if the tanks are separate from the engines and if the engines are regular gas or diesel because I am unsure. I thought they were diesel but my boyfriend told me he was unsure and so now I feel unsure. I will take pictures and post online what the heater looks like and I will look up the serial number, the manufacturer and search up if other people have experienced this problem. I am starting to learn what a glow plug is and I'm suspecting that might be it the issue if it's not fuel. For the most part people have been very helpful and I feel like I have a place I can start. I begged the owners to come to the boat I'm just waiting for a response hopefully the boat won't sink during that time lol. l Thank you so so much for the suggestion. It's been since last winter, before we got the code, that we added fuel, so if there is fuel in there it's sat in the tank for a year. Should I be worried of contamination?
Please tell me you didn't add gas to a diesel fuel tank ! ... or vice versa.
Your engines appear to be gasoline. There should be a separate tank supplying diesel to your Espar.

You are treading in dangerous territory with your lack of knowledge. You need someone who knows what they are doing to come have a look at the system.

PS. Never, ever trust a fuel guage.
Old 13-12-2022, 09:36   #35

No no definitely didn't! My boyfriend has lived on the boat for about 4 years and was actually taught by the owners where to add the deisel for the heater. Only diesel has been put into the tank. I sent a text to the owners begging to come to the boat to teach me some things since they told us we don't take care of the boat, so I said "please come teach me how to take care of the boat to your standards". I am more than willing to learn about it the boat and basic maintenance I can handle, but I need to be taught. I really do want to learn
Old 13-12-2022, 09:39   #36
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
No no definitely didn't! My boyfriend has lived on the boat for about 4 years and was actually taught by the owners where to add the deisel for the heater. Only diesel has been put into the tank. I sent a text to the owners begging to come to the boat to teach me some things since they told us we don't take care of the boat, so I said "please come teach me how to take care of the boat to your standards". I am more than willing to learn about it the boat and basic maintenance I can handle, but I need to be taught. I really do want to learn
Learning on a forum like this is tough when you have so little knowledge to start with. Can you not find a local boater or someone in the marina with some experience in these matters to go over your systems with you ?
Old 13-12-2022, 09:48   #37

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
I have taken all information and learned where to start

I went from someone who didn't know what a GFCI outlet is to now know what it is for. I learned what each switch on the breaker is for. Someone pointed out some wires I can check. Im learning, although a small amount, about the heater I didn't know anything about, but now I am able to look up codes.

I had great great plans of continuing troubleshooting, but I started breaking down at work.. again.

I do apologize for not replying earlier, like I said this for confuses me, maybe because I am on my phone? I am having to click links from my email to get here.

I have messaged back the person who had PM me.

My boyfriend has been putting in resumes and applied fora many jobs but we either get no call back or are told they will be interviewing and hiring at the start of the new year.

I have a coworker who is looking into housing for homeless people and we are looking into renting rooms.

I honestly just need some guidance to better help with the situation and get some guidance

I really really appreciate everyones comments and suggestions to the moon and back. I had no idea what I was doing and everyone gave me a place to start. For the most part everyone has seemed very caring and generous to help and I cannot believe how so many people are here to help. Thank you all. After work I will be trouble shooting some more with everyones suggestions
I am sorry for your difficulties; I know how easy it is to just want to shut down when you get overwhelmed. I am also very glad to hear that a coworker is helping you look for alternatives. I have been that coworker before. My first suggestion would be to be proactive with this coworker. Don't just let them do all the work but be involved. Ask them what you can do to help them look and do things together. It is very easy for a friend/coworker to get frustrated "I gave you what you need" and stop helping and walk away. So be at their side as much as possible and let them know how appreciative you are.

Also, the fastest way to get housing help is if you are in a shelter. If you have other accommodations, whether it is sleeping on a friends couch or in a vehicle/boat, in most areas you drop to the end of the wait list. So, don't let pride keep you out of a shelter, it can be the fastest way to a real home. Also, shelters provide job assistance, mental health services, etc. It could be a fast/easy way for your boyfriend to get work, too.
Old 13-12-2022, 09:49   #38

I'm hoping the owners will come to the boat soon so that I can get information for the boat by the owners

Someone in the forum actually lives in my town. Ive PM them telling them I'm nearby. Maybe they can help I'm hoping. There is another live aboard down the dock and I'm honestly thinking of knocking on their door and ask for help. But I'm just kinda waiting and hoping the owners will get back to me. I really am determined to learn and be taught. I don't mind getting my hands dirty and take care of the boat is someone can come and teach me.

On the bright side I have learned a lot from everyone! I can now identify the engines and batteries down in the engine room! And ive learned about each switch on the breaker. And I know it's so basic and easy to learn, but I learned that our bedroom is called the cabin and our kitchen is the salon. I'm learning little bits and I'm thankful to everyone helping me learn
Old 13-12-2022, 09:53   #39

The boat is chained because the owner didn't pay slip fees or taxes. Assuming you are not an illegal liveaboard, you may want to ask the marina if they are the ones who chained the boat. If so, the just want their money- pay them instead of the non-responsive owner. Will buy you some time. If you are an illegal liveaboard in a marina that enforces the policy, don't talk to the marina as they will accelerate legal action.

Espar heaters are great until they're not. They can get pretty expensive to fix. You may want to use a cheap Chinese truck heater for $200 such as this one. Has its own fuel tank.

https://www.amazon.com/VEVOR-Heating...69267491&psc=1
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2022, 09:55   #40
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
hoping the owners will get back to me.
Please be a little wary of advice from the owners. Judging by the photos of the engine compartment and electrics, I suspect they don't know much more than you.
Old 13-12-2022, 09:57   #41

Im know to show my appreciation a little too much sometimes. Ive let her know that I'm thankful for her, and told her just her hugs she gave me make me feel supported, loved, cared for and I feel not so alone in this situation. I'm hoping to see her today to thank her some more for just having the idea of helping me. my town has lots of resources I am learning about that I will be looking into and take advantage of the help.

Thank you so much for the suggestions! It means a lot to me to read everyone's help. I am I'm a point of my life where I need some guidance for my situation and to read all your comments helps lead me to a better living situation. I cannot thank you all for the help and suggestions enough. I honestly really do appreciate everyone here.
Old 13-12-2022, 10:01   #42

I want them to respond so I can ask if I can invite someone onto the boat to look at it. Maybe I can trust someone else to teach me
Old 13-12-2022, 13:20   #43

Little update

Owners have yet to message me back.
I went to work today and opened up to my bosses about what's going on and they gave me some resources and tolde to take the day to handle things.

I have call an opportunity counsel asking what I can do to get off and they referred me to shelters.

I called the section 8 people where a robot told me there is nobody to take my call. So I will try again later.

I texted me coworker and told her that I appreciate her and told great love for her

And once again thank you all for your comments.
Old 13-12-2022, 13:36   #44

Unfortunately we are illegal live aboards. The boat is registered as a live aboard, but they think it's the owners are living on it.

Thank you for the heater suggestion and adding a link.
Old 13-12-2022, 14:06   #45

Boat: Landfall 39 - Ron Amy

Quote:

With the outlets I flipped the salon outlet switch off and on and the cabin one for the hell of it. Then switch off and on the main breaker. No results.i then unplugged it from shore power to not and then back in again. Nothing.

….we got a very red letter and a chain on our boat because the slip hasn't been paid in somewhat of a time, although weve paid them every month. And that we dont have a lease contract so that's not a good idea. And the owners haven't been to the boat in a couple of years.

Maybe I missed something, but it sounds like maybe the marina cut off your power?

Another slightly less obnoxious possibility is that your breaker on the dockside has flipped. For that you may need someone from the marina to flip it back, if that’s even an option for you.
Yes that could have happened due to an electrical fault, which would be bad. But it happens with us pretty frequently if we accidentally use more power than that 15a breaker can handle- ie plug in a space heater without remembering to turn off the hot water heater, accidentally flip a switch, etc.

I know you already looked at this but I’d try again unplugging and reattaching the shore power cord, while one person watches the electrical panel basically for any flicker of life. There should be an ammeter gauge with a needle that moves when it has power. Worth a look. If nothing, and the cord ends look healthy, I’d assume you are cut off for either one of the two reasons above.

If you’re cut off power- hmmm… living on that boat in winter really isn’t going to be safe or in any way worthwhile.

Talk to the marina people. One has to tread lightly in these situations and try to win friends not enemies. They, quite rightly, have control over what happens at the dock, and tend to get quite jaded with liveaboards, usually for very good reason. Unless they’re unusually hard hearted they will probably help you out for a month or two while you get straightened out. Good luck to you.

Edit. I shouldn’t also mention- what comes to mind in this case is that -to make this work, you guys will have to step up your game a little. I don’t mean to sound cruel, but if your boyfriend has been there for four years and can’t tell gas from diesel, or do some basic troubleshooting, trouble is inevitable. You have to put in the hours to learn how to take care of yourselves on a complicated system like a boat. Otherwise you’re just relying on others to do it for you, and we can see how that works out.
Oeanda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease