Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2022, 14:37   #46

Boat: 1973 Chris craft Corinthian
Re: Can someone please please help me

I appreciate your words

We both know the diffrence from gas a deisel. I think I accidentally used gas in a reply and it's made everyone think that. I am trying to step up my game. I have tried to learn, I have tried to contact the owners. I am learning to troubleshoot. Ive been trying I promise
I have been calling every opportunity counsel, every affordable living, going to a food stamp interview, getting information on disability. It sounds like we might end up in a shelter
Ariarar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2022, 15:01   #47

Boat: Landfall 39 - Ron Amy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariarar View Post
. I thought they were diesel but my boyfriend told me he was unsure and so now I feel unsure.
Oh I see. It was the quote above that I misinterpreted.

If you don’t have shore power or another source of power like solar or wind, your boat batteries will die eventually and the diesel heater will be unable to run, since it uses a certain amount of power. So that power issue is key.

That aside- this fellow has a lot of good info about these heaters. https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...pxsmnKqwFi3tEd He’s talking about the Chinese versions of your Espar, but the same basic ideas apply. You can look at the video and see the basic setup. Tank- fuel filter- fuel pump- heater unit, etc. From there you should be able to at least have an idea what you are looking at and step one as said is to figure out if there is fuel getting to the fuel pump.

And I notice above that someone said not to contact the marina. That may also be valid, you’ll have to play it by ear. But if your shore power is cut off, there’s not much left to lose in that case.

Good luck again.
Oeanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2022, 15:14   #48
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Let's see if I have this right ...
You pay rent to the boat owners ?
They are supposed to pay the marina?

If you paid them and they didn't pay the marina, have a look at small claims court.
Old 13-12-2022, 15:17   #49

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

If you guys are really desperate, go to churches. Some of them support Sec. 8 housing as part of their good works. Talk to the ministers. I don't think anyone will want to tell you "there's no room at the inn."

If there is free counseling, (sometimes drug abuse prevention places accept non- drug users for counseling) that might be worth looking at. Sometimes they can help you set up bankruptcy, which will ultimately lead to your being able to pay off your creditors, and keep your job. This was my job, years ago, now.

Good luck with it,

Ann

On edit: A free community counseling venue can also be at Universities where psychology is taught, sometimes associated with Women's Studies. Any such counseling center will also know about free hospital beds in the area. You will hope to keep your job, but cancer can be recurring, too. You will need to take care of both your physical and mental health.

Sorry for such plain talk, but you need someone to help share the load. That kind of contact needs to be made in person.
No one will want to simply donate money to you, because there are so many scams out there, and people watch their donation dollars very carefully.

Ann
Old 13-12-2022, 15:47   #50
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

It appears there are two of you living on the boat. It's not clear how long you have been aboard but your BF has been living on-board for 4 years.

You are the one reaching out trying to solve all the problems and I applaud you for doing that and trying to learn to improve your current circumstances but why are you not getting the necessary support from your BF as well? Surely after 4 years he must something about the systems on board.

Hope you get the heater and dock power sorted out soon.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2022, 16:33   #51

Hello all! We put a gallon of gas in the take and turned it on. Came on and blew a lot of smoke out the exhaust. I don't remember it doing this before. After a few minutes it shut off and we got the 52 52 20 0 0 0 no flame code. Could it be that a gallon of gas just wasn't enough? Here are some pictures
https://imgur.com/gallery/s56wTOz

I am definitely not looking for money as someone brought up before. I am looking for suggestions and ideas to solving these problems not cash
Old 13-12-2022, 16:38   #52
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Hello all! We put a gallon of gas in the take and turned it on. Came on and blew a lot of smoke out the exhaust. I don't remember it doing this before. After a few minutes it shut off and we got the 52 52 20 0 0 0 no flame code. Could it be that a gallon of gas just wasn't enough? Here are some pictures
https://imgur.com/gallery/s56wTOz

I am definitely not looking for money as someone brought up before. I am looking for suggestions and ideas to solving these problems not cash
1. Again ... did you put gas in a diesel furnace ?
2. Again ... Is that heater in the engine room or a compartment exposed to the engine room ?
Old 13-12-2022, 16:45   #53

No gas has never been in the deisel tank. We are not that stupid.

The heater is in a separate compartment than the engine room. It is in the wall
Old 13-12-2022, 16:55   #54

We reset the code...

ITS BLOWING WARM AIR!!!!

Is it bad that we just reset the no flame code? Its working but I'm worried that it's gonna cause more problems
Old 13-12-2022, 16:56   #55
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
No gas has never been in the deisel tank. We are not that stupid.
You keep referring to filling it with "gas".
Don't be offended if someone questions it.
Old 13-12-2022, 17:00   #56

I definitely am not offended and I'm sorry it I came off that way!!

I dont mean to call it gas I do mean deisel it's all my bad and I will try and not keep calling it
Old 13-12-2022, 17:07   #57

Boat: Other people's boats

Here is the manual for that heater: https://eberspacherdirect.com/wp-con...leshooting.pdf

Troubleshooting steps start on page 10, fault codes listed from 20-25. A simple check would be to verify continuity at the glow plug (edit: and battery voltage!), but I suspect work beyond that would be getting in too deep. Here is how the operation is described, with some time points to watch for:

Quote:
When the heater is switched on, the control lamp in the control unit lights up.

The fan starts up in the fan stage „LOW“. The glow plug starts with a 3 second delay. After approx. 55 seconds the fuel supply starts and the fuel / air mixture in the combustion chamber ignites.

The fan switches from fan stage „LOW“ to fan stage „MEDIUM“. The glow plug is switched off after 130 seconds, when a stable flame has formed.

The fan switches from fan stage „MEDIUM“ to fan stage „HIGH“.

The heater is run at an increased heating capacity of 5.5 kW (stage „POWER“) in order to quickly reach the heater‘s operating temperature. If the heater's operating temperature has been reached, the heating capacity is reduced to 4.8 kW (stage „HIGH“). The length of time for which the heater is run with an increased heating output depends on the ambient temperature.
As another poster mentioned, never trust a fuel gauge. Particularly on a boat. If you have some way of visually assessing the fuel level that would be more reliable.
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2022, 17:10   #58
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Great news Ariarar, being warm is a huge improvement. While I am no Espar expert, resetting the flame out once (or twice) should not cause any problems.

We are trying to help you remotely and we only have your posts (words) to go by, it does help us if you use the correct terminology - keep up the good work in troubleshooting.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2022, 18:32   #59

I truly apologize I keep calling it gas instead of diesel. I will try harder and be more cautious of it. On the other hand tonight I reset the code for the heater and the heater started working! Tried it for about 30 minutes and it ran perfectly with warm air coming out. I dont know if there is a leak in the exhaust or that it hasn't been ran in over a year but there was some smoking coming from the heater but it died down after a while. We put a CO2 sensor and a fire alarm next to the heater. The CO2 sensor never went off although right next to the heater for some time but I'm still a little worried that it's not safe. I feel so proud and accomplished for doing this by myself. The owner still haven't texted me back which is a little frustrating. I do not know how to think everyone on this forum for giving me great ideas and suggestions. I appreciate you all for taking the time and day to respond to my questions and my issues and I'm sorry if I made things complicated or seems like I was making up this up to try to get money. All I needed was some guidance and a appreciate y'all for being there to help!

I am not going to touch the outlets. I don't wanna burn the boat down. I am going to text the owners again tonight since they never got back to me and let them know I got the heater working and that the outlets are their issue that they need to fix. I'm bad at confrontation and unsure how to politely tell them to fix their own damn boat.
Old 13-12-2022, 18:41   #60

Quote:
Unfortunately we are illegal live aboards. The boat is registered as a live aboard, but they think it's the owners are living on it.

Thank you for the heater suggestion and adding a link.
Sounds like the owners have perhaps abandoned the boat? I know you guys are jammed-up for money but maybe offer to buy the boat for whatever payments are due, then work with the marina to transfer? The boat being a previous liveaboard is a good sign - good chance the marina would accept the transfer. The previous owners might see benefit in not having a reposession on their credit record. Owners may respond to this type of compromise.

Regardless, I hope you've stopped paying them.
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease