Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2022, 18:49   #61

Boat: 1973 Chris craft Corinthian
Re: Can someone please please help me

With what everyone told me from my pictures of the engine room and electrical panels it's either going to burn down or sink in a matter of time. I would love to buy this boat, but it just doesn't seem like a good idea financially to try and fix it up and keep it. I don't think we will pay them until the chain is off. If they fix the issue I think we will pay for just a few more times until we can move off
I see my sleep doctor on the 21st and I hoping he will have some more ideas with dealing with my sleep disorder, and now having heat and knowing that it's the owners job to fix and maintain it I feel somewhat less stress. I also talked to both my bosses today and told them what's going on and they are there to support me. Very thankful of my employer. I feel a little more optimistic. Boyfriend also has two leads for jobs, it's basically just picking which one he wants to work for. I am hoping to be off the boat in a couple months when I save for the down deposit for an apartment.
Ariarar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2022, 19:38   #62

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Have you ever successfully received a text from the owner's phone number? Maybe it's just a dumb land line phone.

Mae West
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2022, 19:39   #63

Yes we have
Old 13-12-2022, 19:44   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariarar View Post
With what everyone told me from my pictures of the engine room and electrical panels it's either going to burn down or sink in a matter of time. I would love to buy this boat, but it just doesn't seem like a good idea financially to try and fix it up and keep it. I don't think we will pay them until the chain is off. If they fix the issue I think we will pay for just a few more times until we can move off
I see my sleep doctor on the 21st and I hoping he will have some more ideas with dealing with my sleep disorder, and now having heat and knowing that it's the owners job to fix and maintain it I feel somewhat less stress. I also talked to both my bosses today and told them what's going on and they are there to support me. Very thankful of my employer. I feel a little more optimistic. Boyfriend also has two leads for jobs, it's basically just picking which one he wants to work for. I am hoping to be off the boat in a couple months when I save for the down deposit for an apartment.
So what is your best case end-goal? You now have heat. Your boyfriend has a choice of twojobs. Your work is sympathetic. The owner of the boat is MIA which means you have a couple months of free living. You have a path to a subsidized apartment (FYI for those outside the US, "Section 8" is a US/Local government subsidy that pays most of the rent for qualified people). You have decided to transition away from the boat you're on.

How can we help? What else are you seeking besides an outlet (which is fine)?
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2022, 19:55   #65

In regards to the diesel supply tank for the heater - does the heater have its own tank, or is it pulling from the main engine diesel tank? (Apologies if I missed this point previous). The reason I ask, is that when using the main tank for auxiliary uses (generator, heater, etc.) it is common to only plumb that pickup tube 3/4 of the way into the tank. This is done so a user can’t accidentally empty the tank whilst using generator or heater, and leave the boat unable to move. So - if pulling from a main tank, your heater will “run out” of diesel when the tank is actually 1/4 full. Just an FYI.

Best of luck in your difficult circumstances.
Phyrcooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2022, 20:07   #66
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyrcooler View Post
In regards to the diesel supply tank for the heater - does the heater have its own tank, or is it pulling from the main engine diesel tank?
The main engine is gasoline
Old 13-12-2022, 20:07   #67

I don't have anything else! You all have been a tremendous help and I couldn't of done it with you all. I am so excited to be warm right now. Thank you all!
Old 13-12-2022, 20:21   #68
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Warm is good, glad to hear you solved it (with a little help from CF) and best wishes for the future.

Come back if you need additional remote boat orientated assistance; it is a hallmark of CF to solve boating problems.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2022, 20:25   #69

I will definitely come here for ANY boat advice.i am very sorry i poured my life on you all. I really took in all the advice you guys gave me and reflected it in my life. Not only did I receive boat help, but life skills and guidance. Thank you all!
Old 14-12-2022, 08:04   #70

Location: Florida, Off the Caloosahatchee Canal for the Summer
Boat: Beebe Passagemaker 50'

Ariarar, regarding what we've PM'd about, and what you have posted up-thread:
  • Resetting the code on an Espar will not harm anything
  • one gallon of diesel is a start, but will probably only run the heater for a short time, no more than 8 hours, less if it is running continuously. It sounds like that was the problem all along. In a boat that size, in freezing weather, I would budget from 2 to 5 gallons of diesel/day for heat. That's a LOT. Diesel heat is not very economical at today's prices for diesel
  • regarding your marina, I would begin paying the marina directly for the moorage. I realize it's in the owner's name, but I don't think they will care who is paying them, just that they are getting paid.
  • Notify the boat owners that you are paying the moorage directly, and why (chain on boat)
  • On being an "illegal" liveaboard. If there is a moorage agreement with the owners, it probably doesn't say WHO is supposed to be living aboard, that that it is a liveaboard slip. That requires more investigation, but tread lightly.
Best of luck, and you're wise to not mess with the electrical outlets yourself.

Just my take, but if at all possibly, you need to find alternate housing, and let the owners of the boat deal with their own mess.
BlueH2Obound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2022, 08:14   #71

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariarar View Post
We put a CO2 sensor and a fire alarm next to the heater. The CO2 sensor never went off although right next to the heater for some time but I'm still a little worried that it's not safe.
Hopefully you are using a CO (Carbon Monoxide) detector, rather than the CO2 (Carbon Dioxide) detector you stated.

It is CO you need to monitor.
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2022, 06:33   #72

Boat: Dehler 36 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I'm not trying to be snarky, but also think about this: The country is 100% employed for those who want to work. Most businesses out there are looking for people.
You should be able to get work quickly with little experience.
Avoid sitting around depressed, get out there!
%100 Agreed.
Doubleplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2022, 07:19   #73

And if the boat is in such dickey condition, make sure you have 2-3 newer fire extinguishers handy with the space heaters-always a good thing.

Watch a youtube on how to use them correctly if you never have. Not alarmist but just good knowledge to have and not just on boats.
houseofcharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2022, 07:25   #74

Location: Boat currently for sale in Oriental, North Carolina
Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
Hopefully you are using a CO (Carbon Monoxide) detector, rather than the
It is CO you need to monitor.
Following.

Al, S/V Finlandia
Old 19-12-2022, 07:47   #75

Boat: Macgregor 25

When your life situation continues to improve please drop us a note here to let us know you are doing better. It’s always nice to hear of things getting better, even if it has nothing to do with the boat.
Wyo George is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease