Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2023, 14:05   #1

Capacitor regulated generators

I’m trying to understand how the capacitors on these generators work. Or I should say, how the capacitors impact the operation of the generator.

We have a 8.5kva generator that the dealer/installer changed out the “stock” capacitor with a 35mfd capacitor. I’m not sure but I think the capacitor that came with the generator was 25.

I was told that they changed the capacitor so that we wouldn’t see too much voltage drop when we loaded the generator.

What we have noticed is the generator seems to be more loaded at 5kva than we would expenct. It sounds heavily loaded and above that, begins to smoke out the exhaust.

Voltage is always above 119 but it just sounds like it’s struggling.

Could this be because of the capacitor rating? Would putting a 25MFD capacitor cause the generator to be at a lower load?
crayiii is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator