Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2021, 15:13   #16

Boat: Swarbrick 40
Re: Capacitor wiring advice needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRobertJr View Post
Hi, Hoohaa,

The diagram looks correct to me for wiring the capacitor as a noise filter.

How physically large is the capacitor?
47000 uf. I've added a pic.
Old 16-09-2021, 15:19   #17

Boat: Bristol 27

It looks like some wannabe electrician/electronics guy added the capacitor which is most likely not needed at all.

So are you thinking the PO bought a fridge which needed the new owner to select the proper input voltage cap for it?!

That's pretty ridiculous.

I have never bought anything electrical or electronic where the manufacturer would have the buyer select a capacitor for the input voltage
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2021, 15:19   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Mariner 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoohaa View Post
I'm thinking the fuse should be on the other side of the capacitor?
The fuse should be close to the battery as in your schematic. If you put the fuse between the capacitor and the fridge, the fuse will not protect your boat from shorted terminals on the capacitor.

Quote:
Noise suppression?
My fridge is happily running without it.
Could you explain why you would need noise suppression?
Noise suppression is not for helping your fridge run. It is so that the electrical noise from your fridge does not interfere with your other electronics, like your radio.
JoeRobertJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2021, 15:20   #19

Leave it to bored cruisers / sailors to make a big deal out of nothing at all......

Remove the Cap and toss it.
Old 16-09-2021, 15:52   #20

I've had a closer look and it appears that the capacitor is wired onto a positive bus that connects a lot of the devices on the panel. Not just a fridge. ( See 1st pic)
So it does look like it's been installed the noise suppression.
The 2nd pic is of my new panel. I'm now thinking that I need to wire the capacitor to my positive bus on this panel, which will effectively connect it to almost all of the devices. Does that make sense?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG20210917084708.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	245421Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG20210917084723.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	245422
Old 16-09-2021, 15:54   #21

Quote:
I've had a closer look and it appears that the capacitor is wired onto a positive bus that connects a lot of the devices on the panel. Not just a fridge. ( See 1st pic)
So it does look like it's been installed the noise suppression.
The 2nd pic is of my new panel. I'm now thinking that I need to wire the capacitor to my positive bus on this panel, which will effectively connect it to almost all of the devices. Does that make sense?Attachment 245421Attachment 245422
It makes sense if you are a wannabe electronics guy otherwise most probably not needed, but it appears you enjoy this so have at it or do nothing at all.

It doesn't really matter as far as your systems are concerned but you seem to enjoy drawing diagrams of your systems so one day it may come in handy for troubleshooting a "real" problem.

Tom

Electronics/Computer Tech/Manager by trade since 1975.
Old 16-09-2021, 16:22   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
It makes sense if you are a wannabe electronics guy otherwise most probably not needed, but it appears you enjoy this so have at it or do nothing at all.

It doesn't really matter as far as your systems are concerned but you seem to enjoy drawing diagrams of your systems so one day it may come in handy for troubleshooting a "real" problem.

Tom

Electronics/Computer Tech/Manager by trade since 1975.
Wannabe electronics guy? No, just don't want to burn my boat down because I didn't properly understand something.
Old 16-09-2021, 16:22   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Mariner 39

Hoohaa,
Tom has doubts about whether it is needed. Someone in your boat's history thought it would help. You can test yourself whether it makes a difference.
Check your radio and TV for noise, especially when your fridge is running, and see if there is any difference whether that capacitor is connected or not.
JoeRobertJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2021, 16:52   #24

Boat: Passport 41, Custom Perry in steel.

Just wonder if it was put in to assist with starting voltage droop issues. Correct method is to up the wire size, if its electrolytic capacitor you will have leakage issues, bit would be interested in knowing if this gave a little bit more starting current to fridge to avoid excessive voltage drop that would cause compressor to trip out on low voltage.

What is cable size and length of run.?
Old 16-09-2021, 17:36   #25

Boat: Camano Troll

That is not a noise suppression capacitor. It is far too large for that.

If anything, it's a kludge to try to compensate for a voltage drop in the boat's wiring when some appliance starts up or runs.

As for the fuse, the purpose of the fuse (overcurrent protection) is to protect the wiring so the fuse should be as close to the source (the battery) as practical. ABYC would have it within seven inches of the battery.
Old 16-09-2021, 18:07   #26
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post

If anything, it's a kludge to try to compensate for a voltage drop in the boat's wiring when some appliance starts up or runs.

As for the fuse, the purpose of the fuse (overcurrent protection) is to protect the wiring so the fuse should be as close to the source (the battery) as practical. ABYC would have it within seven inches of the battery.
This ^^

Plus - leave it out, it shouldn't be necessary! It the very unlikely chance it does do something useful, you will soon discover whatever that is and it can be added at that (unlikely) time.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2021, 19:03   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post

All my batteries are rewired and fully fused.
The fuse in the sketch is a breaker switch.
Consensus seems to be to leave it out.
So I will leave it out and see if anything changes.
Old 16-09-2021, 19:04   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
This ^^

Plus - leave it out, it shouldn't be necessary! It the very unlikely chance it does do something useful, you will soon discover whatever that is and it can be added at that (unlikely) time.
Ok. I'm going to leave it out.
Thanks
Old 16-09-2021, 19:26   #29

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Someone sought probably it is a good idea to put a large capacitor in front of the compressor to provide the power for the startup current of the compressor. This helps with crappy thin long wiring, that may cause a voltage sag and a low battery alarm at the fridge when starting.
Old 16-09-2021, 19:31   #30

This channel has some excellent information about all things electrical (and some other stuff, too):

SeanPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Advice, wiring