Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2023, 08:35   #1

Boat: Bavaria 39 Cruiser
Changing windlass fuse to thermal breaker

Hi,
During last weekend mine 800w Quick Genius windlass died, sadly repair make no sense. It was fitted to boat since new and was already not in good shape when bought the boat in Feb, so it was somehow expected behavior.
Now We want to exchange windlass for something bigger. I was thinking about 1,5kw Tigres, but it would require changing wires etc, so finally i decided to go for 1kw Kobra windlass, when I was checking specification for old Quick widlass I found out that it should be fused with 63a fuse (or something like that), checked fuse that I already have, and surprise surprise... previous owner fitted 125a fuse for that windlass so also I have to change fusing, thing is that I would prefer to have possibility of just reseting fuse if something will pop it up.
So TLDR;First question is it wise to change classic fuse to thermal breaker for 1000w windlass? (Im afraid that it will not have enough time to get hot enough to get popped)
2nd If yes, do You recommend some specific producers?
https://ibb.co/RH56D5N <- pics of fuses
pmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2023, 09:21   #2

Boat: Tartan 3800
Re: Changing windlass fuse to thermal breaker

Yes, you can use a thermal breaker. I have one for my Cayman windlass.

Here is what Lofrans recommends for the Korba:

https://www.lofrans.com/product/71-h...ses/5009-kobra

Cross referencing the number in the chart, I believe they recommend a 100A breaker. I would think that any high quality breaker designed for marine use on 12v systems would work as well as the one Lofrans sells.
Old 20-07-2023, 10:28   #3

Boat: Bavaria 39 Cruiser

Thanks
pmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2023, 14:00   #4

Boat: Hunter 38

"thing is that I would prefer to have possibility of just reseting fuse if something will pop it up."

Personally, not a fan of resettable fuses/breakers. At least when the reset is in an easy location.

Last aircraft panel I built I completely bucked the trend and went for ATC fuses in a block in the luggage compartment.

Why?

If the fuse blows it means something is wrong, and is drawing a current higher than expected/your safety margin. (I once had a fire in the cockpit on approach on a delivery due to the PO just replacing the fuse for a higher rating because it "kept blowing").

If the reset is close to hand, and especially if there's a little bit of stress on (.e.g you're anchoring/weighing), there's such a temptation to just keep hitting the reset and potentially causing something to overheat or even burn.

If the reset is not close to hand, what's the value of having a reset vs a simple replacement?

Just something to consider.
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2023, 14:42   #5

Boat: Lagoon 380

My last nuke power monitor system job was designed with only fuses.
But, for a local motor situation, where the motor is frequently overloaded, my vote is the thermal manual reset breakers; offered by Blue Seas and other. My 1kW Lofrans has not yet tripped its 100A thermal breaker.
team karst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2023, 14:32   #6

Boat: Sun Odyssey 45.2

Another thread with similar topic.
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...fe-277746.html
Recy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
circuit breaker, fuse, fuses, kobra, thermal, windlass