Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2016, 16:09   #106
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Charging 4 banks from 1 alternator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post
Sir, there are many types of current limiting devices, one shot (fuse) resettable (breaker) and continuous (solid state). Wikipedia, search "Current Limiting Device", "A fuse is the most basic current limiting device".
Yes by your definition you can call all sorts of things current limiting devices. A light switch can be a current limiting device. Lots of things will, by your definition "limit" current if you define limit as stopping all current. That does not change the fact that the standard usage for that term is for a device that limits how much current flows in a circuit and to use that terminology, not a device that interrupts current completely.

Quote:
Can you please focus on the important matters than trying to force everyone to use your preferential wording.
If this is so critical and distracting to the discussion feel free to focus on more important matters and drop the subject any time you like.

Please note it is not just my "preferred wording", it is the wording used in the industry and the wording used in electrical engineering. I seem to recall at least one other person on this thread called you on that issue as well.

Remember, I walked away from responding to you in this thread and said you could have the last word. You directly addressed me in a post to bring me back into it.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 16:18   #107
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Using fuses or breakers for current limiting is not precise as that is not their main purpose. For example a 20 amp Blue Seas breaker will not open until about 26 amps of current pass through it continually. This is stated on the breaker. Fuses are even less accurate as for example an ANL fuse will pass approximately 150% of rating under load before blowing. This varies a bit with each fuse size. In both cases the breaker will open and the fuse will blow almost immediately in the case of a short circuit. That is the main purpose of a breaker or fuse.

The best solution is not to try to limit current in the case of charging but to wire for the results as far as cable size is concerned.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 17:58   #108
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
Using fuses or breakers for current limiting is not precise as that is not their main purpose. For example a 20 amp Blue Seas breaker will not open until about 26 amps of current pass through it continually. This is stated on the breaker. Fuses are even less accurate as for example an ANL fuse will pass approximately 150% of rating under load before blowing. This varies a bit with each fuse size. In both cases the breaker will open and the fuse will blow almost immediately in the case of a short circuit. That is the main purpose of a breaker or fuse.

The best solution is not to try to limit current in the case of charging but to wire for the results as far as cable size is concerned.
Please, focus on the important matters, all devices have certain tolerances including solid state
ones.

A fuse or breaker clearly falls within the definition of a current limiting device. What does a fuse limit? Current. Period. I can't even believe this is being challenged.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 18:07   #109

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Please, focus on the important matters, all devices have certain tolerances including solid state
ones.

A fuse or breaker clearly falls within the definition of a current limiting device. What does a fuse limit? Current. Period. I can't even believe this is being challenged.

Let it go already, Rod! You sound like you're arguing just for the sake of arguing. You made your point, time to move on...

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 19:18   #110
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhoy View Post
Let it go already, Rod! You sound like you're arguing just for the sake of arguing. You made your point, time to move on...

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Maybe your right, because I feel compelled to advise that the quotation in your signature was not actually made by Mark Twain.

Seriously, I have devoted significant time and effort to this thread,
providing sound advise, challenging gross errors, and suggesting valid ideas and alternatives. I get quite offended when the terminology nazis come out and attempt to detract from it. If the terminology I used was wrong or potentially misleading, I would be the first one to admit it for the purpose of clarity and avoiding confusion. Moving on.
Old 04-10-2016, 07:42   #111
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Lots of things will, by your definition "limit" current if you define limit as stopping all current.
[COLOR="Blue"]
Another example of your misquoting and misrepresenting what others have stated.
[COLOR]

Tags
alternator, charging