Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2020, 11:22   #1

Charging t105s

I have a 12 trogen 105 gc Batteries. So 1350 amp hrs of batteries in one bank. I am charging 99% on solar. Trogen. Recommends 14.8 volts absorption charge for 4 hours. They also say charging is complete when the amp hours going into the battery is between 1 and 3 percent. So my question is after 2 hours I am charging well below 2 percent. Should I charge less than the recommended four hrs. I do have to water my batteries every five or six. To simplify the question is. Should I. Allow the absorption charge for the full for hours or should I charge between 1 and 3% and then go to float. I am charging through Outback solar controllers so those parameters are easily managed
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 13:36   #2

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Charging t105s

I'd go by the percentage of charge going into the batteries. It's more accurate than time.

I have the exact same setup. I have to water my batteries annually and they go into float.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 13:45   #3
CLOD

Boat: none

I have T105s and an Outback controller. I have my absorption hours set to the 4 hours and have the low amp at cutoff set to 7 amps. Which for me would be 1% plus the refrigeration system running.

The downside i feel is having to water the batteries more often. I try to check mine monthly, but forget and know they make it 2 months without uncovering any plates. I feel getting the batteries charged better is worth the extra watering.
Old 01-01-2020, 14:06   #4

Boat: Island Packet 32 Keel/CB

My Victron uses about 14.4 for absorption. The absorption time is based on the bank voltage when the charging cycle begins. I read somewhere their opinion with solar, where you are cycling through most days, is to lighten up on the absorption voltage.

Only had the solar a year. About once a month I plug into shore power and let the BC run the absorption on up to 14.7. Batteries are new so very little watering (Sam's club 6V GC2 600AH)

Frankly
Frankly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging