Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2019, 12:27   #31
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Checking LED Anchor Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
If you got an open in both directions with the diode test function on a meter then I'm guessing one of two problems.

1. Bad connection. In the process of moving stuff around a wire or something came loose. maybe

2. Diode fried. Since diodes are pretty reliable I'm guessing #1 is more likely.

But a question, does your light have an auto on photo cell in the circuit? didn't buy one that said it did and I think I already checked it at night

I have the wires all out again (only takes 3 minutes) and with test when it is dark so I can see the light. I have rigger coming next week so if it's the light I get him to change it
Old 11-01-2019, 12:32   #32

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSails View Post
OK you asked for it.

Two transistors are in a bar enjoying their beer (bet you didn't know transistors like beer), anyway, one says to the other "How was that date you had last night?" the other says "Not going to work out, I think she's bipolar."

A week later the same transistors were in the bar, "So how was that date last night?" "Much better, her father met me at the gate with a Schottcky barrier but I had the potential to get over that. She has a real hard luck story, grew up in an integrated circuit, her brother lost a leg in the war but found work as a diode, and her sister went into thermal runaway with an IGBT group. All in all though she's a real darlington although I must admit to being positively biased."

Yes, there are some bad puns in there. Drum thump please.

That should be in the joke thread
Old 11-01-2019, 13:54   #33

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Actually a diode or LED is perhaps the simplest solid state circuit. Essentially a P-N junction with wire connections (anode and cathode) that emits light from the P region. So essentially a single, simple device.

This of course is a very simplistic description of a diode but that's the basics.

Sorry I couldn't resist dredging up the details of my long ago courses in solid state design and fabrication.
True, Skip, but he said "LED bulb", which would include any driver circuitry, whether it be only a resistor or a more complex (and noisy) switching supply as well as t he simple LED junction.

Jim
Old 11-01-2019, 14:44   #34

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

I'm guessing the bulb was put in upside down.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 14:48   #35

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

A resistor alone won’t affect the basic test but an led driver will
Old 11-01-2019, 15:19   #36

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

35 posts discussing the ins and outs of this situation...

IMO there is only the polarity switch approach that can be done from deck level. If that does not correct the problem, a trip by someone to the masthead will be required. All the learned (or not) hypothesizing about testing solves nothing.

But I guess it is fun to argue about what might be goin' on.

Oh, BTW: Salorboy, did you read the package and did it specify that it was polarity sensitive? All the LED devices that I've purchased included that info, and for the past few years, they have all been non-sensitive... ie, the polarity can be either way.

Jim
Old 11-01-2019, 15:32   #37

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

We don't read directions much less follow them.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 15:43   #38

Boat: RM 12.60

Yes try it when it is dark. If it is a dedicated anchor light bulb it has a photocell on top which turns it off when daytime.
dansken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 16:03   #39
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

IMO there is only the polarity switch approach that can be done from deck level. If that does not correct the problem, a trip by someone to the masthead will be required. All the learned (or not) hypothesizing about testing solves nothing.

Oh, BTW: Salorboy, did you read the package and did it specify that it was polarity sensitive? All the LED devices that I've purchased included that info, and for the past few years, they have all been non-sensitive... ie, the polarity can be either way.

Jim

Actually I thought I got a non sensitive bulb. But it was 4 weeks ago and. Can’t be sure
Old 11-01-2019, 16:05   #40
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
I'm guessing the bulb was put in upside down.
The mast was on the ground on blocks, so more likely I installed it sideways
Old 12-01-2019, 17:54   #41

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

Reverse the polarity. That is; switch the positive and ground lines to the anchor light. If that does not do it, you'll need to replace or reinstall the bulb or LED.
I carry a battery and use it to check all the mast lights before putting the mast back up.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2019, 11:53   #42

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

I guess the water is still liquid 'down there' where you sail. For us folks stuck near the top of the ball, the temp was -9 C this morning, and my cruising ground is the consistency and color of a frozen daiquiri.

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2019, 07:40   #43

Boat: Pearson 10M

Quote:
Actually a diode or LED is perhaps the simplest solid state circuit. Essentially a P-N junction with wire connections (anode and cathode) that emits light from the P region. So essentially a single, simple device.

This of course is a very simplistic description of a diode but that's the basics.

Sorry I couldn't resist dredging up the details of my long ago courses in solid state design and fabrication.
Yes a single LED is a diode, but a LED bulb consists of several LED's and electronics to regulate current and voltage, making a LED BULB a complex active circuit.
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2019, 08:56   #44

Besides the electrical issue that you seem to have and others have responded to, there are several other issues that you should consider.
The anchor light lens, is it just a clear flat glass or plastic, or is it a Fresnel type. If it is a Fresnel type, the light must be focused on the center of the lens otherwise you do not gain the benefit of the magnification this lens provides.
However more important consideration is; the USCG published last fall a safety directive about LED bulbs and the effects that they have on VHF and other types of antennas. The LED's give off electrical energy and potential interfere with the VHF radio's reception. Research it, and if necessary relocate the position of the antenna if necessary.
joezzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2019, 10:21   #45
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
My mast was down the other day so I took the opportunity to replace the anchor bulb with a LED. Now that the mast is back up the light of course doesn't work.

- it worked before taking the mast down
- there's power at the terminal strip at the deck
- the wiring all looks good at the deck level with no indications of a break
- the bulb was an indexed type so only goes on 1 way
- testing conductivity indicates an open circuit
- tested the conductivity in both "directions" even though I don't think that matters

So indications are that either the bulb is bad, not installed correctly, or the wiring at the light itself has a problem.

But before I go get new bulbs and go up to find out I figured I would ask:

Is there anything special about an LED bulb as far as testing circuit conductivity through the loop?

Well:
- the LED bulb works when I directly connect it
- there's power at the fixture at the top of the mast
- it just wouldn't work together even though I can tell that the bulb is making contact with the fixture
- from testing the bulb I found that the ground is the outside of the metal on the base, but I bet on the fixture the ground is one of the 2 bottom contacts

I think I going to have to just get a new light if I want an anchor LED light.

Tags
anchor