Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2016, 12:34   #16

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold
Re: CO Monitor going off

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrwakefield View Post
Robin, At this point I would be suspect of the monitor(s)...
I standardized on these Kidde combo smoke and CO detectors, and like the talking feature - especially when guests are on board...

We haven't had one give false alarms yet- except for the battery equalization cycle event I mentioned in my earlier post...

For US$25 you could verify whether it is a false alarm or not... and one can always use another detector somewhere...

Thanks for mentioning the 10 year date- I didn't know there were some longer dated units on the market. I have only seen 5 year units.

Best wishes resolving the issue.

Cheers!

Bill
I have just commenced a return for full refund since my unit is almost new (3 weeks), bought via Walmart and their free store pickup service. I will think hard what to replace it with, if at all. I might even ask our local FD for comment as they are right next door to the marina. Every one I look at online collects so many bad userr eviews it seems they only work well in China, must be the USA air!!
Robin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2016, 15:33   #17

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Hydrogen is "light" so it rises but it easily mixes with air even in the slightest of breezes. So, if you are charging your batteries heavily and off gassing H then it can cause your CO detector to go off regardless of its vertical position within the cabin.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2016, 17:13   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
Hydrogen is "light" so it rises but it easily mixes with air even in the slightest of breezes. So, if you are charging your batteries heavily and off gassing H then it can cause your CO detector to go off regardless of its vertical position within the cabin.
Understood but we are not charging heavily just keeping them topped up via a Magnum charger/inverter which has a maintenance/float set at just 13v/0A which should be well below gassing volts. There may however be an occasional ( like monthly) equalisation charge programmed in that could have set it off it it had run. I am more inclined to the cause being the guy who was working on the boat yesterday who could well have used some strongish solvent to clean up some sikaflex, in the same area, leaving enough in the air to trip the sensor. I'm still not convinced of the need for it so it will be returned for arefund, simply because I can and can decide thereafter to get another or mybe not bother. We do have separate smoke alarms as well so maybe this is a sniffer too far.
Old 14-05-2016, 17:30   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin3 View Post
No propane with multiple shut offs and all shut off.
Multiple shut-offs !

Not that stupid and dangerous manual valve that the French put in the cabin ?
Old 14-05-2016, 18:41   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Multiple shut-offs !

Not that stupid and dangerous manual valve that the French put in the cabin ?
I Mean the shut offs on each of the two cylinders and the additional remotely activated valve fitted after those also out in the gas tight propane locker. Then each and every burner has a flame failure device as well.
Maybe you meant what is fitted by Beneteau USA looking for a cheaper option. Ours is a genuine Beneteau France built boat not some local franchised lookalike to save a bit of money on boats built for the charter market fleets.
Old 14-05-2016, 23:32   #21

Boat: Hunter 44DS

I went to the trouble of replacing all my CO detectors to find the new ones go off as well and its caused by the batteries on the battery charger.
Akapeterc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 07:10   #22

I have just ordered a new First alert one via WAlmart with an elctrochemical sensor, supposedly less prone to false alarms. We shall see. Not expected for 10 days but I will put it onboard asap. If it fails it will be returned yet again at whichpoint I will probably give up

Tags
monitor