Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2017, 15:32   #1

Boat: Nimble Artic 26
Combining three charging sources

I am sure this has been asked before.

My boat has Standard Deep cycle batteries.

I have been keeping them charged with a solar panel and Sunsaver 10 charge controller.

Now I have just purchased a new out board with a charging system. I may also soon buy a Wind generator.

Is there a charge controller that can intelligently combine all three sources to charge the batteries. I mean I connect it all up and then let the charge controller decide where it gets the power for battery charging and cabin power?

Thanks
Old 11-03-2017, 19:27   #2
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Combining three charging sources

I believe no harm in just having them output to the bank together. Best if their charging parameters are similar, and matching the needs of the House bank of course.

Or you could input them all to a less expensive batt (act as Starter?), and then use a single powerful DCDC charger like a Sterling feed the expensive bank.

Unorthodox, but would allow you to really tune the charging algorithm to maximize House longevity.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 09:49   #3
rom

Boat: Lagoon 440
Re: Combining three charging sources

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbodine88 View Post
I am sure this has been asked before.

My boat has Standard Deep cycle batteries.

I have been keeping them charged with a solar panel and Sunsaver 10 charge controller.

Now I have just purchased a new out board with a charging system. I may also soon buy a Wind generator.

Is there a charge controller that can intelligently combine all three sources to charge the batteries. I mean I connect it all up and then let the charge controller decide where it gets the power for battery charging and cabin power?

Thanks
You should have no problem with plenty of different charging systems. What's important is that the one you favor the most (solar probably) should be programmed to have a higher absorption voltage than the others.

They will charge your battery all together until each of them reaches its own programmed absorption voltage, they will then go off and let the other charger do the job. And naturally, the last one remaining is the one with the highest absorption voltage. This one charger will typically be working on the last 20% where your battery accepting less and less current overtime until it reaches 100% SOC.

Alternatively, in case solar is not enough, you might want to use the most powerful of your charge source as the last one to make sure your batteries will be reaching 100% SOC.
rom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging