Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2011, 03:20   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Re: Combining Wind and Solar Charge Inputs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target9000 View Post
Brad,

We anticipate using an Engel for cooling. Its a lot smaller than the current reefer setup but from the stats sheets on their site along with a lot of research and reviews it appears that they really are pretty low amp devices compared to a normal reefer box. I imagine a worst case scenario of it running continuously all day at 60amps. (which I doubt is realistic, probably looking realistically at 40amps a day).

We anticipate:
VHF
SSB (occasionally)
chartplotter
lights (all LED)
laptops and kindles
stereo (used when we have excess power)
fans for cabin
fan for head vent (always running)
Engel freezer
Fathometer
bilge pumps

We probably won't have radar or wind instruments (undecided). No TVs or anything like that. Don't anticipate having pressure water.
We do have a mechanical wind vane

So as you can see we're trying for a really bare bones cruising setup and embrace the less is more mentality.
I think your estimation of 100Ahrs a day looks resonable, probably even a bit high. My rough guess would be 80-90 AHrs
noelex 77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2011, 03:28   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target9000 View Post
Can you wire the dump resistors and the fans both in the diversion load? I mean what if the diversion has to dump a lot of amps, more than just the fans can handle?
Most wind generators require a dump load to handle the full output of the generator, but many more sophisticated regulators and battery monitors can be programmed to switch on a relay and do something useful with the excess power when the batteries are in float mode, or have reached a certain state of charge.
I prefer to keep things simple, but I manually switch on things like fuel polishing when the batteries are regulating so the excess power is put to some use, but it is easy to automate this process if you wish.
noelex 77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2011, 06:26   #18

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I believe in the world of electricity, the fans are taken current as they need from the system. I'm not sure about your wind generator. I had a Air-X wind generator and when it finished charging, it fed it's own power back to it's winding in a reverse mode to almost stop the propellers spinning.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar