Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2021, 15:36   #1

Boat: Hunter 27, 1978
Considering inexpensive (Relatively) wind turbine, Thoughts?

Hello, all.

I have been stuck at home while Equinox sits on the hard here in Florida, and gathering up things needed (or more likely, desired) to finish her refit. I have come to the issue of power generation. She is a 78 Hunter 27, so not new in the least. I am rewiring her, the new mast wiring is all but complete, and the newly LED and LMR 400 coax-equipped mast will soon be restepped onto the immediately preceding freshly core-repaired deck-mounted mast step. I talked with Peggy Hall (I highly recommend her skills with offering advice that is useful and clear) and my new head is here at the house as well.

I have an installed solar controller and two older 110 watt panels, and will likely be replacing the panels. I have had them over 10 years so given the media surfaces are covered with crinkles, I wager they are likely no longer at whatever 100% was when they were new. I am unsure they even work, so will have to test that situation when I can, but I hear newer ones are better per square inch of surface footprint, which is at least a consideration for me.

Additional to all that background, however, I want to investigate addition of a wind turbine, but am considering that maybe a vertical may be less cumbersome than the traditional fan bladed variety. Either way, though, I suddenly am becoming aware of many turbine vendors who offer turbines that run anyplace from a couple hundred to about 400 USD, with claims of (at 24 mph!) up to 4000 watts of 12v DC. I don't believe that to be realistic at this price point, but if I can arrive on one that gives maybe 1200 watts at say 15 MPH winds, or even 600-800 watts at that level, would it be worth a purchase at this price point, or am I better off to save the nickels for the $1K plus variants, even though coastal work is my likely use for this vessel (that itself cost about what the mainstream units themselves cost, and maybe even far less, depending on how mainstream we are discussing here).

I am attempting to float/charge batteries back to full using solar and wind as they are available, and am running currently a bank of 2 Type 28 marine lead acid batteries (well, one died, so I have to replace it too). I can add more batteries, but currently am running LED lighting, and have not decided on an electrical cooking solution (currently using a portable Coleman propane cylinder camp stove, and when on deck and anchored or tied alongside a little portable charcoal grill that probably I should not, though I use a hotpad under it). I am adding a small electric vent cooling fan if I can determine one that is not hundreds of dollars in cost and yet has a good reputation for working once installed. I am also open to ideas there. I might have a couple months before I can really get back to work on the boat anyway (just in time for hurricane season, of course).

I am considering adding a small refrigeration option, maybe a dorm fridge, and I am thinking the addition of the wind genny as well as replacement with newer solar panels may go a long way to helping with the power issue. I know folks do it, but my question is mostly whether one of the less costly wind turbines (or 2 of them if they are vertically orientation lantern types) are going to be of a benefit or if those are only of value as battery maintainers in the real world along a coastline (my experience is primarily inland where wind was not terribly common and on Navy ships far from shore, where hunted wind (or made our own - aircraft carrier). I recall 15 knots was not all that uncommon, so let's say 10-20 knots as a central average operating range? Are these bargain units a bargain for a nickel and dime sailor like me or am I tossing cash into the briny if I purchase something that costs this little to use in the marine environment? Primarily it seems the blades are made of composite glass with metal spines, or in some cases of various plastics (which make me nervous due to UV considerations).
SailingFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind