Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2017, 10:18   #31
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II
Re: Controller dead, can I connect solar panel direct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
As long as they monitor the voltage, it should be OK.

Example, with no load on a sunny day my 100 watt panel (and/or my 20 watt panel) will read about 22.1 volts which is the Voltage at Open Circuit (VOC) for each panel.

When you hook the panel to the battery, the voltage will read around 12.3 - 12.7 depending on how low the battery is.

The voltage will slowly increase from there as the battery charges.

If you disconnect the battery when it gets to around 14.4 volts or so, you should be fine.
No argument. But as I stated, if one allows the battery to become overcharged, and the charge voltage to continue to rise, it will most certainly hurt the batteries and can reach levels that could damage electronics.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 15:35   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post
Charging system connections should always be on the battery side of any distribution system battery isolation switch.
Rod I dont really think that repeating what I said really was necessary but thank you for reiterating.
Old 21-09-2017, 15:38   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post
No argument. But as I stated, if one allows the battery to become overcharged, and the charge voltage to continue to rise, it will most certainly hurt the batteries and can reach levels that could damage electronics.
This is exactly the reason we have ( several of us )have stated to watch battery voltage and disconnect from the panel when charged. To avoid possible damage to the batteries and shipboard systems.
Old 22-09-2017, 06:48   #34
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Rod I dont really think that repeating what I said really was necessary but thank you for reiterating.
Your welcome.

I am pretty savvy with marine electrical systems, and I wasnt even sure what your post was about.

If you believe that my post re-iterated your prior post using more clear and succint language, be appreciateive; we agree on the main issue, though it wasn't previously clear to me that we did.
Old 22-09-2017, 06:55   #35
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
This is exactly the reason we have ( several of us )have stated to watch battery voltage and disconnect from the panel when charged. To avoid possible damage to the batteries and shipboard systems.
The point is, a post claimed that connecting a panel without a controller cannot reach voltage levels that can damage electronics. It can. We need to be very clear on this. If we have several posts that re-iterate the same message in different ways, that's a good thing. I think you need to relax a bit about people agreeing with you (if that is what I did).

FTR, I don't read every post in every thread before responding. I am too busy fixing boats. When I see something that is wrong, and could cause someone harm, I respond. If others respond confirming my post whether before or after it, that's a good thing.

Tags
solar