Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2017, 06:13   #31

Boat: Scout 30
Re: Converting a Ryobi 2000 Watt Generator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
If he never sails, that's one thing. But what will he do with it when he gets under way?

"What CO problem"? Portable petrol powered generators are among the leading causes of deaths on boats. See: http://www.doubleangel.org/documents...il2008_000.pdf see also: Boaters warned about the dangers of portable generators - Practical Boat Owner

"The BSS says that if boaters want to use generators, these three basic bullet points should be followed: –

Never install a portable generator permanently or make unauthorised modifications that are not supported by the manufacturer, or proprietary component supplier.

"Never run generators on the boat, or on the bank near to the boat’s doors, vents, windows and hatches. If you can smell exhaust fumes in the boat, it could mean the cabin is also filling with deadly carbon monoxide.

'Never refuel any generator anywhere aboard the boat; take it to the bank and ensure you are a safe distance from other boats and potential sources of ignition."

I'm not saying the risk is unmanageable; I've used a portable generator on my own boat. But it's a significant risk which requires a bit of thought and trouble to manage. For example, you can't just run a portable generator on deck -- too easy for the exhaust to waft into the cabin. Smart cruisers run them on their swim platforms or even in their dinghies. And for sure, have CO detectors installed.
THIS IS AN IMPORTANT POST! Anyone using or thinking about using a portable gas generator on board should follow the links & read about how dangerous this can be. I personally was well aware of the dangers of CO but did not realize how dangerous refilling generators on board is. If we decide to go this route it's clear that our swim platform is by far the safest place to run a generator & refill it but if I didn't have a swim platform I'd use a dinghy as recommended.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator