Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2024, 05:53   #16

Boat: Tayana 48DS 48'
Re: Crimping Kit

Nice Selection of tools, ayates! I have quite a few of the same ones you do, but not all (nobody's perfect )

One area I don't see addressed is ferrules and crimpers for them - these work a treat when you encounter those pieces of equipment (like Victron Solar controllers) where there is a hole for the wire with a set screw to retain it. If you put bare stranded wire in them, it distorts the wire badly, and makes removing and replacing the wire difficult - use of a ferrule makes it easy & neat.

Here's a picture of one I swiped from Amazon:

Hartley
S/V Atsa
Hartleyg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2024, 06:31   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
I don't understand.
Ideally [no pun intended], the tool should be matched to the connector.
Even if the tool matches the connector? You need to use the tool correctly. Most connectors have a split in the meta barrel. That has to be position correctly with in the tool.

Check out as an example of some of the issues.
Old 17-04-2024, 06:47   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgary View Post
... Most connectors have a split in the meta barrel. That has to be position correctly with in the tool.
Check out as an example of some of the issues.
Yes, Butted Seam Connectors must be crimped in the proper place, to avoid opening the seam, and deforming the barrel.

I prefer Brazed Seam, or Seamless connectors [/w Nylon Insulation]:
Brazed Seam Connectors are formed much like a butted seam, except the seam is brazed together. They can be crimped on any side of the barrel, without opening the seam.
Seamless Connectors are, generally, only available for a butt connector. The barrel is created from one seamless piece of metal. This eliminates the problem of the barrel opening. They may also be used with solid or stranded wire.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2024, 07:53   #19

Boat: Tayana 48DS 48'

Hi Gord,

I, too, prefer brazed or seamless connectors (particularly with larger wire sizes where the forces are higher). I might note that the picture used for that video shows a seamless "eye" or "ring" connector - the left-hand one at the bottom. Those are made with tubing that is flattened on one end and drilled to make the hole.

The "spade" connector to the right of it is a butted-seam connector, and (IMHO) not to be trusted.

Hartley
S/V Atsa
Hartleyg is online now   Reply With Quote