Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2016, 05:06   #1

Boat: Beneteau 47.7
Cruisair VCD AC

Morning everyone,
I was wondering if anyone could help with a problem that I have with my Cruisair VCD 12000BTU AC Unit. I have just installed a new replacement Elite Controller and now my AC wont switch on.
The controller has power but when I set to cool or any other function it does not start the pump or compressor.

Someone had mentioned the controller when purchased new will be set in a factory default setting and requires setting up based on the type of unit I have! The unit I have is a self contained stand alone blown air unit so presume this controller would have to be set to operate this unit as this controller would work also with a chilled water system.

Any help would be great... I have looked at the manual and frankly find it very confusing to say the least.

Thanks
Tomtom39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 05:26   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Cruisair VCD AC

Do you have the Elite manual?
http://www.dometic.com/QBankFiles3/E...2230_15172.pdf

OOPS! I (now) see that you have (& have referred to) it?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 05:30   #3

Many thanks
I have the controller user guide so many thanks
For me I can't see anything that makes total sense unfortunately
I will take another look but it was all a little confusing
Old 07-08-2016, 06:58   #4

Why did you have to replace the original control? Normally these things just plug in and work even on default settings.
boatbod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 07:05   #5

Thanks Boatbod!
Replaced with a more up to date controller as cosmetically looked better
I am sure it is the way the controller is configured as I have power at unit and also at the controller just wont start the compressor and pump
There is something in the instructions which I have copied below which I am wondering has an impact

f your air conditioning unit has a Shaded-Pole (SP) fan motor instead of a Split-Capacitor (SC) High-Velocity (HV) fan motor, you MUST program “SP” into parameter P-14 before operating the equipment. The SP units are recognizable by an overhanging blower motor. (The SC motor of an HV unit is inside the blower, and the unit has “VTD” or “HV” in the model number.) Only reprogram this parameter if you do NOT have an HV blower.
Old 07-08-2016, 07:22   #6

Question is whether your new control is compatible with the board in the main system.

What is the branding and full model number of the condenser unit?
What model was the old control?
New control is "elite" so presumably a MarineAir system?

A couple photos of the nameplate, old and new controls would clear up any confusion and make it easier to give a definitive answer.
Old 07-08-2016, 07:42   #7

It is a Marine Air VCD12 unit with overhanging Blower Motor so in looking through the instructions it appears that the Elite controller will work but has to have its setting changed to SP in Parameter p-14
I will take a look when I am next at the boat and see if that makes a difference but would have thought something would have worked irrespective of changing this setting
Old 07-08-2016, 10:46   #8

So lets see if I've got this straight:-

You have a VCD12 and are replacing an old Passport I/O control (but definitely not a Passport II) with an Elite control. The old control worked fine and you have the same circuit board inside the main unit. The Elite control powers up but will not activate either the fan or compressor.

The reason I'm trying to get specific here is because the Elite control should work with a Passport I/O board but definitely does not work with the older Passport II. I think you probably have an I/O board based on the unit being a VCD12 rather than a VCP12 but you never know...

The P-14 parameter should certainly be checked, but I'm skeptical that having the wrong setting would prevent the compressor from starting. i.e. it shouldn't affect anything other than the fan.

Good luck and please report back if you get more info of (better yet) are able to get it working!
Old 07-08-2016, 11:06   #9

Thanks BoatBod!
Many thanks for the post
Just to clarify somethings
I replaced the PCB as the previous board would not have coped with the new Elite Controller which now illuminates and has the digital temperature displayed so looks like it is working (with previous board nothing illuminated).
I have the red light on the main units PCB board so power to the main unit.
I spoke just now to the individual who has helped with the work and he has reminded me that the blower is working but it is the PUMP (sea) and COMPRESSOR that is not kicking in!
It feels like it is not calling for cooling so can't really get my head around the problem.
I wonder if there is a setting on the controller that I have missed.
I will keep investigating and update you
Thanks
Old 07-08-2016, 11:17   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau, First 47.7, 48.5', Flyer

Hi, in the fist post you stated that you have a Cruise Air VCD unit. If that is the case, you need the Q-logic control, if it is the Vmar style then it would be the Q-HT. If you have a Marine Air branded unit, then the control is a Passport I/O, Vmar style display is the Elite. These are two different type controls.

When the unit power up, for the cruise air, do you get the temp display? You should, what happens when you push the power button? Does the full function display come on? When you lower the set point to 2 degrees below temp, does the dot next to the words cool come on?

O-salt
O_salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 11:22   #11
Marine Service Provider

Hi, some additional questions;

You are saying Elite control, but your original post states Cruisair. Did you buy a passport circuit board and a elite control to replace the Cruisair control?

Did you also buy new display cable and do you have a remote sensor for the Elite control?

The cables and sensors are not compatiable between Q-logic and passport.

PS.

Which model 47.7 do you have? Mine is tall rig, deep keel, side galley.

Steve
Old 07-08-2016, 11:34   #12

Hi Steve
Just checked and I have a Marine Air Model number VCP12K2506FT system!
I have a new Elite controller with new cable
I get all the lights, Temperature showing and looking accurate and also when I press the cooling button it starts the blower but not the compressor and pump!
I replaced the PCB as the previous PCB would not have supported the new Controller according to the manufacturer.

Are you saying that my controller that I have purchased might not work with the above model?

Yep I have a short rigged 2001 Beneteau 47.7 with 3 cabins and galley in a U form which works with our 2 year old daughter. Have owned for 6 years and we are now based in the Med having sailed from UK last year. Are you enjoying your boat?

Thanks for all your help

Nick
Old 07-08-2016, 12:04   #13
Marine Service Provider

Hi Nick, when in the Automatic mode (the control automatically switches between heating and cooling) lower the set point at least 4 degrees below the temperature; does the LED next to the cool come on?

If it does, the control is calling for cool. Now run the test again listening at the printed circuit board, do you hear a click?

If the above test are positive, I would start with checking that you have wired the control back in correctly. Also check that the start capacitor is connected correctly.

Our boat is also a 2001, yes we are enjoying the boat, we left last summer for Mexico and have been sailing on the West Coast of Mexico and Baja the last year. The boat is currently in San Carlos, while we are in Seattle avoiding the summer heat in Mexico. We expect to get back in early October to the boat. You can read about our adventure on our blog at; svflyer.com.

Steve
Old 07-08-2016, 17:31   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomtom39 View Post
Thanks BoatBod!
Many thanks for the post
Just to clarify somethings
I replaced the PCB as the previous board would not have coped with the new Elite Controller which now illuminates and has the digital temperature displayed so looks like it is working (with previous board nothing illuminated).
I have the red light on the main units PCB board so power to the main unit.
I spoke just now to the individual who has helped with the work and he has reminded me that the blower is working but it is the PUMP (sea) and COMPRESSOR that is not kicking in!
It feels like it is not calling for cooling so can't really get my head around the problem.
I wonder if there is a setting on the controller that I have missed.
I will keep investigating and update you
Thanks
Does the snowflake icon light on the control? If it doesn't, you're not going to see the compressor or pump start.

Make sure control is in Auto mode and set temperature is lower than displayed cabin temp.

Tags
cruisair