Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2017, 22:20   #1

Boat: Irwin MK III 43
DC circuit breaker tripping on Kohler generator

Hello all, I have a Kohler generator, model 8CCO, that the DC circuit breaker trips during the start sequence. Generator cranks when start switch is energized. The fuel solenoid pulls in and generator starts, runs a few seconds then the DC circuit breaker trips, fuel solenoid releases and the generator shut downs.
All emergency shut down sensors have been checked and are OK. Both relays replaced and circuit board sent out and found fully olerational.
Any suggestions to what would be causing the DC circuit breaker to trip?
JSurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 22:39   #2

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: DC circuit breaker tripping on Kohler generator

When breakers carry heavy loads, near rating, for long periods the internal contacts can become pitted. Poor contact draws more amps and the breaker trips. Sometimes the answer is a new breaker.
Lepke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 17:48   #3

Measure the current through the breaker and see if it is exceeding the rated amperage. If it is, trace the high-load and fix it, otherwise replace the breaker.
boatbod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 06:45   #4

I've pulled the circuit breaker out to bench test it. When I apply 13.3 volts to it, it blows the fuse in my test equipment. I've ordered a new CB. Should be here Monday.

Thanx
Old 09-06-2017, 09:28   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSurr View Post
I've pulled the circuit breaker out to bench test it. When I apply 13.3 volts to it, it blows the fuse in my test equipment. I've ordered a new CB. Should be here Monday.

Thanx
Sorry but that description makes no sense. You can't test a breaker by applying voltage across the two terminals because it will be a dead short under normal conditions.

To test a breaker you leave it in circuit and measure the current flowing through it with a dc clamp ammeter.
boatbod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2017, 06:38   #6

I discovered that the voltage output and the light connectors on the voltage regulator are going to ground inside the case. I've ordered another. Will update once new regulator is installed in case someone else has same problem.
Old 15-06-2017, 23:35   #7

Problem solved: found that someone prior had installed wrong "C" and "K3" relay and I replaced with the same, wrong relays which in turn burned up a new regultor. Kohler was absolutely no help. Terrible customer service. I looked at my buddie's Kohler to discover that I had wrong relays. So once I installed correct relays and yet another voltage regulator, genset runs great.
For anyone facing same issue:
Relays from NAPA AR143 (make sure has internal diode)
Voltage regulator AM 101406 (fits F915 John Deere tractor)

Thanks for the help

Tags
generator