Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2016, 16:57   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: DC generator vs full solar/wind solution

Height, I don't know why, but the battery box is shallow. To do it right would mean cutting it out an glassing in a deeper one.
Too many other projects to do before that

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2016, 17:37   #47

Boat: a sailing boat

Unless there is a big reason not to, I would go for both a genset and plenty of solar power. Wind only maybe possibly if where you sail it is windy and very windy.

Alternatively, I would go for plenty of solar plus HQ regulators on my alternators.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2016, 18:54   #48
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoon View Post
Personally I would never put a solar panel on a pretty boat.

I run my generator for 2 hrs every 3 or 4 days on the hook . Lifepo4 batteries charge very fast and make 40 gallons of water at the same time . Live like at home . Micro wave , washing machine , hot showers , ......

Regards
We live continuously at anchorages for five months. The only reason we are looking to add possibly 2-4 Solbian panels to the top of the Bimini is to top off the batteries. Its not good for the genset to run for so many hours without a load.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 23:26   #49

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
It depends on the boat, some of them can integrate some solar panels without looking like an oil rig.!
What's wrong with the way oil rigs look?

From a pure functional viewpoint they look magnificent, one of mankind's great engineering achievements. True beauty is when function and form complement. I just had a very fancy super gin palace overtake me and it's wake threw the dirty dishes out of the sink. In the eyes of the skipper his sleek, chrome clad, behemoth is obviously the prettiest thing on water. On mine, filled with the beauty of broad, early morning vistas of the Great Sandy Straits it was the ugliest experience of the day.

One of the uses I put my engine driven charger to was to run it for an hour or so to put a bulk charge into the batteries this allowed the panels to do a final topping up which they had all day to do.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 04:49   #50

Boat: Bristol 45.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
We live continuously at anchorages for five months. The only reason we are looking to add possibly 2-4 Solbian panels to the top of the Bimini is to top off the batteries. Its not good for the genset to run for so many hours without a load.
The beauty of Lifepo4 , they take full charge current until full , so generator is loaded to 60 percent for the entire charge cycle .

Regards
ColdEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 07:05   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
What's wrong with the way oil rigs look?

From a pure functional viewpoint they look magnificent, one of mankind's great engineering achievements. True beauty is when function and form complement. I just had a very fancy super gin palace overtake me and it's wake threw the dirty dishes out of the sink. In the eyes of the skipper his sleek, chrome clad, behemoth is obviously the prettiest thing on water. On mine, filled with the beauty of broad, early morning vistas of the Great Sandy Straits it was the ugliest experience of the day.

One of the uses I put my engine driven charger to was to run it for an hour or so to put a bulk charge into the batteries this allowed the panels to do a final topping up which they had all day to do.
Well, not really. I'm not aware of any solar chargers that will stay at absorption voltage all day, but I'd love to find one.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 07:07   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoon View Post
The beauty of Lifepo4 , they take full charge current until full , so generator is loaded to 60 percent for the entire charge cycle .

Regards
Agreed! They're still a little pricey for now. I think a lot of people will be switching over after their current batteries need to be replaced.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 08:25   #53
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbrainstuff View Post
I call bs on Dashew's claims that a powerboat in use to cross oceans is cheaper than a sailboat. He's in the business of selling powerboats to sailors so he has an inherent bias.
I completely believe Steve, for how they run their boats. Lots of complexity, expensive systems, and high levels of maintenance. The sailboats had all of that, plus the sailing systems - sails, rigging, hardware, etc. Plus the power boats are designed for greater efficiency at power than the sailboats.

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2016, 12:10   #54

Quote:
@typhoon:

Would be interested to learn what your LiFePO4 capacity is and what kind of charger and generator you use.

Thanks!

Carsten
CarstenWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2016, 12:20   #55

Boat: Bristol 45.5

Take a look at my you tube site linked to the bottom of my posts . Or just look up S/V Salserenity on you tube .

Regards
ColdEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2016, 21:32   #56

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by witzgall View Post
I completely believe Steve, for how they run their boats. Lots of complexity, expensive systems, and high levels of maintenance. The sailboats had all of that, plus the sailing systems - sails, rigging, hardware, etc. Plus the power boats are designed for greater efficiency at power than the sailboats.

Chris
It's not just a matter of cost, a good sailboat does not entirely rely upon it's engine and you can go around the world a number of times on a good set of sails. Redundancy counts.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 07:24   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
Well, not really. I'm not aware of any solar chargers that will stay at absorption voltage all day, but I'd love to find one.

I. Haven't even hooked up my Outback 80 yet, but my shore power charger can be tricked by setting absorption and float at the same voltage, I don't think you even have to have them .1V apart, but you may.
I assume the Outback has a custom battery profile and can trick it that way

Old 20-03-2016, 08:24   #58
CLOD

Boat: none

You can set your Outback controller to stay at absorption for as long as you want to. But of course it will only do that if the conditions allow the voltage to get to absorption.
Old 20-03-2016, 08:57   #59
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
You can set your Outback controller to stay at absorption for as long as you want to. But of course it will only do that if the conditions allow the voltage to get to absorption.

Good to know, once we go , I'll watch acceptance rate at absorption voltage, only way I know of to ensure full charge, that will keep me from cooking the batteries.

Old 20-03-2016, 10:55   #60

Boat: a sailing boat

Victron MPPT are programmable. Check out they may allow you to extend the absorption phase.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, solar, wind