Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2013, 04:19   #31
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Re: DC panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSDman View Post
I don't know, I guess I would have expected a call before he proceeded with something that was so completely outside the scope of work agreed upon. I understand one can't anticipate all the things that happen but I generally like to be consulted before I'm $c3wed.
I agree, he should have called you, but I guess he finally did when he found and could explain the extent of the problems.

Since the old DC panel needed shifting a bit in order to fit the approved AC panel, what happened is not unusual.

That is where the fuzzy part often happens because opening up and inspecting in order to assess what needs to be done, is what repair men do. ….and they are known for their tunnel vision

Just chalk it up to a good but painful learning experience and move on
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 05:15   #32

Yes I have moved on, lesson learned. Back to my very first post, "I'LL chalk this up to poor communication on my part". So can anyone beat 900 bucks for that 35 position blue sea breaker panel? I'll be doing the rest myself.
DSDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 05:23   #33

Boat: Egg Harbor sedan cruiser 1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSDman View Post
Yes I have moved on, lesson learned. Back to my very first post, "I'LL chalk this up to poor communication on my part". So can anyone beat 900 bucks for that 35 position blue sea breaker panel? I'll be doing the rest myself.
How about putting a lot less money into the old panel for parts. Replace some breakers, resize to fit paint, etc...
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2013, 11:24   #34

Boat: Oday Mariner 19 , Four Winns Marquis 16 OB, Kingfisher III
Send a message via Skype™ to Colin A

DSDman, if your interested I work for the company (bass products) that built your original panel, we may be able to rebuild it here or provide the parts for you to rebuild if your interested.
Old 27-03-2013, 17:56   #35
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Welcome to Cruiser Forum, Colin A… ….Here is to the power of CF!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2013, 08:02   #36

Sounds like a mis communication to me. Hard to believe someone would completely remove the DC panel, just because it's "failing" without a discussion. If he did , he went way beyond scope for sure, I wouldnt go near him for anything else...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2013, 08:42   #37
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"I agree, he should have called you"
YaTHINK?

One day I got a frantic phone call from an associate, we need to go to the printer right away, the job is scheduled to be on press and they can't understand how to do it. Waste an hour on the chinese fire drill, arrive at the printers, and they hadn't even OPENED the envelope with the cover letter and instructions. No, they just looked at the job and didn't read the instructions, which were quite explicit.

I would find that literally, if I taped a dime (yes, that long ago) to the side of a job and put a big red note on it that said "QUESTIONS? PROBLEMS? PLEASE CALL!" no one ever took the dime. Or made the call.

In this day and age with everyone stuffing a phone in their pocket, there's no excuse for not calling IMMEDIATELY when there's a problem. Like a 40-year old panel that might or might not be alling apart. I've worked on old panels, never seen a breaker falling apart unless something had cracked it.

I could be tempted to ask that electrician "May I see your cell phone?" and then beat him with it, until either he or it fell apart. Just a durability test, to see which component was faulty, him or the phone.

What was the old Smothers Brothers joke, about the more-ons and the less-ons ?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2013, 09:38   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
One day I got a frantic phone call from an associate, we need to go to the printer right away, the job is scheduled to be on press and they can't understand how to do it. Waste an hour on the chinese fire drill, arrive at the printers, and they hadn't even OPENED the envelope with the cover letter and instructions.
Um, why didn't you just call the printers, instead of heading down?

Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2013, 09:46   #39
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

It wasn't my call to make, but the associate had already called them. Oh, the sky is falling, you're going to miss the press run (they're scheduled very tightly), no, we can't understand a thing, there are things missing....Sometimes it is simpler to just go find out wtf is the problem and deal with it rather than "play telephone" with folks who obviously need some hands-on instruction.

In this case they had simply given up without starting, because it just didn't look like what they were expecting. And they couldn't imagine any other way to do the job.

"This is your ***, this is your elbow. Any questions about that now?"
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2013, 20:56   #40

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130330_235021.png
Views:	214
Size:	345.1 KB
ID:	58266

Name:	ForumRunner_20130330_235201.png
Views:	141
Size:	374.6 KB
ID:	58269

Colin here is a little better picture. This panel is just too large for the hole now. I will need a panel that fits into a 12 5/8 by 17 hole....about 14 x 17.5 outside.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ForumRunner_20130330_235110.png
Views:	184
Size:	374.6 KB
ID:	58267  
Old 02-04-2013, 03:08   #41

Boat: 87 Chris Craft Amerosport 36'

As a marine electrical contractor the one item I always place on my quote is "Customer will be advised of any defects during install". A simple call to a customer can solve a lot. Try Sogeman Microlog Sogeman Microlog products
Or M&G Electronics Untitled Document as I have had good results with both.
marine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:22   #42

Thanks, the sog link is great they have a nice website. I broke down last night and bought the blue sea panel, I worked on the boat deck and fiberglass all weekend and not having tunes or lights in the boat finally did it... so now I will install that panel and start chasing wires...that should all be very interesting.