Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2006, 11:49   #16

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Chris, You need to do a lot of research before you dive in to a project like rewiring. The size wire you need depends on variables such as the load it will carry and the distance run from the power source, etc. rather than the bulb size and cost at the chandlery. By all means shop for the best price for the "required size" for each given run and not just the best price for whatever size wire they have available. A misstep in this project can and has burnt a boat to the waterline. That does make your neighbors very nervous. Get Calder's book and/or the 12 Volt Bible and do your wiring layout well in advance with good forethought and working knowledge. If some of this stuff costs a bit there is a reason for that. Good Luck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2006, 21:11   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
My biblical refernce says...

My reading of the the table in Amazon.com: Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual: Books: Nigel Calder has 4mm cross section area corresponding to between 12 and 11 gauge wire.
His table for length with a 3% voltage drop suggests that a 30 foot run is acceptable for a 5 amp device (with a 10% voltage drop the distance jumps to 130 feet) if I have read it correctly.
I have assumed that a 2 amp device would have no problems.
I was curious to see if there were any problems in using this wire as it is cheap.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote