Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2013, 12:21   #16

Boat: H28
Re: Deceased battery

Thank you for the replies.
To sum up, it would seem that I didn't shoot myself in the foot by doing what I did, and that the status of my battery is actually not to bad.
We are about to head out for another three month cruise so will see how the battery performs during this time.
But, work well or fail, I know a lot more about batteries now than I did before thanks to the posters on this thread.
Thank you all.
Chris
Chrisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 15:59   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Just for informational purposes, all aircraft batteries are supposed to be Capacity tested yearly, again for what it's worth only the Concorde batteries are cap tested by the manufacturer, all other batteries are required to be cap tested prior to being placed into service or they are not airworthy. Almost no aircraft batteries are capacity tested truth be known. Also at my last year renewal of my Inspection Authorization Concorde gave a class on batteries, one thing in the class that stuck was their recommendation of replacing a battery every five years, even if it passed the capacity check, see the battery is the back up electrical supply to run the aircraft radios, navigation gear and some gyros in the event of an alternator failure.
I would tell the OP that he has obviously done a very good job of maintaining his battery for it to still pass the capacity check after five years, but he might want to think about replacing the battery.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 16:22   #18

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Just for informational purposes, all aircraft batteries are supposed to be Capacity tested yearly, again for what it's worth only the Concorde batteries are cap tested by the manufacturer, all other batteries are required to be cap tested prior to being placed into service or they are not airworthy. Almost no aircraft batteries are capacity tested truth be known. Also at my last year renewal of my Inspection Authorization Concorde gave a class on batteries, one thing in the class that stuck was their recommendation of replacing a battery every five years, even if it passed the capacity check, see the battery is the back up electrical supply to run the aircraft radios, navigation gear and some gyros in the event of an alternator failure.
I would tell the OP that he has obviously done a very good job of maintaining his battery for it to still pass the capacity check after five years, but he might want to think about replacing the battery.
Well put. Now for a short thread drift, what do you think of the new French LH-10 Ellipse tandem seat pusher? Talk about efficiency.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:33   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
Well put. Now for a short thread drift, what do you think of the new French LH-10 Ellipse tandem seat pusher? Talk about efficiency.
Sorry, I know absolutely nothing about that airplane
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:40   #20

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Sorry, I know absolutely nothing about that airplane
200 kt cruise on a Rotax 912 ULS @ 30+ mpg. 100 kt at 1.8 gph.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery