Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2017, 14:03   #1

Boat: 2000 Jeanneau, 45.2
Diesel genset crankcase smell, install an AIRSEP?

Anyone using such a device either on their propulsion or genset diesel?

My genset is installed in a dedicated machinery space in the stern of my vessel. One guest stateroom ends up smelling like "diesel odor" which I am sure is originating from the crankcase breathing system which discharges via a breathing tube directly into the dedicated machinery space. This stateroom shares a common wall. There is no CO registering on that stateroom's CO monitor. There appears to be no detectable oils in the exit of the breathing tube. I am considering installing a WALKER AIRSEP Marine Diesel Genset kit, claimed by Walker to be purpose designed for this specific issue. I could also extend the breathing tube to the genset combustion air intake where it would be presumably sucked in as part of the combustion air. Thoughts?
Jeanneau 45.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 01:34   #2
Eternal Member

Re: Diesel genset crankcase smell, install an AIRSEP?

I installed a Walker AirSep on my Perkins 4-108 some years ago. VERY happy with it. Engine room is much cleaner and seems to be less smelly of diesel.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanneau 45.2 View Post
Anyone using such a device either on their propulsion or genset diesel?

My genset is installed in a dedicated machinery space in the stern of my vessel. One guest stateroom ends up smelling like "diesel odor" which I am sure is originating from the crankcase breathing system which discharges via a breathing tube directly into the dedicated machinery space. This stateroom shares a common wall. There is no CO registering on that stateroom's CO monitor. There appears to be no detectable oils in the exit of the breathing tube. I am considering installing a WALKER AIRSEP Marine Diesel Genset kit, claimed by Walker to be purpose designed for this specific issue. I could also extend the breathing tube to the genset combustion air intake where it would be presumably sucked in as part of the combustion air. Thoughts?
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 07:11   #3

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
I installed a Walker AirSep on my Perkins 4-108 some years ago. VERY happy with it. Engine room is much cleaner and seems to be less smelly of diesel.

Bill
The Walker AirSep has much to recommend it but it is not inexpensive. A friend of ours with a sister-ship to ours accomplished the same results with his 4-108 by using a K&N air filter, slightly modified. The modification involved drilling a hole in the side of the throat of the filter above the point of attachment to the engine's air intake and attaching a hose nipple. He then ran a small tube from his breather pipe to the hose nipple on the modified air filter. He claims the engine noise is much reduced and the odors from the breather pipe eliminated. I haven't witnessed how well it actually works in practice as the yacht's been in the EC for the last 6 years where they leave her on the hard--at Jolly Harbor--during hurricane season but he seems very pleased with the results at quite a good savings. The same approach might be doable on your generator.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 08:02   #4

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

I've had the plan to use a junk yard air box and filter from car/truck. They are designed to reduce noise plus added bonus of crankcase hose installed. Just one of many things on the "list"....
ctl411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 08:56   #5

Boat: Chris Craft 38 Commander 1965

I ditched the original metal canister air cleaners on my DD 8.2L engines and installed K&N filters several years ago. The crank case breather tube inserts into a PVC extender that is between the engine and the filter. Works great.
Squanderbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 09:01   #6

Extractor fan to the machinery space.
Couldn't the breathing tube be routed into the air intake?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 09:17   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

The purpose of an air separator is not to change smell or deal with fumes etc.
It's purpose is to separate the oil from the blowby in the crankcase.
To deal with the fumes, you need to do what is done with almost all other Diesel engines, dump the crankcase breather into the suck side of the intake.
Look at how your propulsion engine is done, all automobiles since about 1969 have been done this way, it is what a PCV valve is for.

The Walker oil separator came about for mostly Detroit Diesels which are renown for being messy, having lots of oil mist in their blow by
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel