Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-10-2021, 07:19   #16

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Distilled water not available in rural Honduras

Oh yeah, forgot, about filtering; if it is needed, the cloth that is pretty commonly used in Honduras for filtering coffee would be fine I think. I can't think of the name of it now, but I am sure the folks there know what I am referring to. Of course if you can catch the rain away from the trees there shouldn't be anything to filter.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2021, 07:26   #17
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Where are you in Honduras? My sister-in-law has a solar business in Honduras and has been running it for quite a while, named Soluz. I am sure you are not the first to have this problem. We'll give her a call to find out what they do. There are distilling kits similar to what Heywoodj mentions I believe. I'll check.
I bought a pair of L16 batteries from them back in 2012. (Soluz in San Pedro Sula). I was going for T105s but they had run out so got the L16s. Brought them back to Rio Dulce by bus. (back then you could do your "passport run" to Honduras). Batteries are (or were) half the price in Honduras than Guatemala (tax?). At that time SPS was the "murder capital of the world". I feel bad for the Hondurans. There are way too many cold blooded killers on the loose.

Rainwater is the best option there. It needs to be collected in a clean way and not at the beginning of a shower. You could possibly leave enough clean pre-collected rainwater in jugs stored near the batteries to last for some time. Honduras has a lot of smoke in the air (from cooking, burning trash and slash and burn and illegally started fires). Particles from the smoke end up in the water at first but it rains so hard there that waiting for it to run clean shouldn't be a problem. You should also probably dial back the voltage settings slightly so they use less water. (especially if the controller does not use temperature compensation). Spring water would depend on the spring. If you have a TDS meter you could test it but safer to stick to rain water. Secure those panels good to cut the risk of being stolen! Dile holas a mis amigos catrachos, sus pais esta bien bonita. Fuera Joh!
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2021, 10:23   #18

If bottled water is available that would be my choice after filtered rainwater. Or let the first of the rainwater run away to take all the dirt and dust with it, then keep it in plastic can or bottles.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2021, 10:24   #19

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
OK, the word from them is to use rainwater that has not touched metal. So a plastic tarp and a plastic jug and a good rainstorm should give you enough to last quite a while.
Good luck, I hope things are going well down there, I haven't been down in quite a while. The Hondurans are a very resilient bunch but given getting hammered by 2 hurricanes in a row and the other stuff, I know things are even tougher these days.
Now that’s news I can use! I hadn’t thought about avoiding water which had contacted metal. Thanks to you and your sister in law.

Cheers!

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2021, 12:14   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Berkey filters are very effective and operate be gravity alone.
Old 18-10-2021, 12:52   #21

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

Use air conditioner condensation. Next best thing if you are in the mountains. Near the sea it could contain tiny traces of chloride or iodide salts. I have used it in batteries for YEARS and had no problems.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2021, 13:05   #22
cruiser

They don't have electricity so they sure as heck don't have A/C.
Old 18-10-2021, 15:49   #23

Boat: Hinterhoeller Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve77 View Post
Thanks, Fishzine.

I appreciate the comments on rainwater. I don’t think I can count on the locals to boil and collect distilled water, so I’m not going to pursue that option. I think that once I’m back in the US they will see it as too much trouble.

Appreciate the input!

Steve
Rainwater with any bugs, etc. strained out will work fine. And don't underestimate the willingness of the locals to take care of your contribution to their lives. Have you enlisted the help of a local mechanic or truck driver that is part of the community? I have been amazed by the mechanical intelligence of so-called "backward" folks more than once.
Boatwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2021, 16:44   #24

The difference between R/O water and distilled water, is the heat of distillation drives off dissolved atmospheric gases--primarily oxygen and carbon dioxide. Rain water also contains the gases. Boiling R/O water will drive off the dissolved gases and make it chemically indistinguishable from distilled water.
stevenhigbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2021, 17:25   #25

Boat: Hinterhoeller Niagara 35

It's the dissolved alkaline minerals (mostly calcium) that are the reason batteries call for distilled water. They mess up the acid in the battery solution.

As others have said, filtered rainwater is free from these bad for batteries elements and will work just fine.
Boatwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2021, 19:11   #26
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

How big are these battery banks. No offense, but if they can get and haul heavy AGM batteries, solar panels, and all that go into setting up a solar system up to the location, how hard is it to haul 10 or 15 gallons of distilled water to the site?
Tellie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2021, 19:49   #27

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Well even if the batteries are dead you still have power during the day

What are you running power for

That will determine battery needs
Old 18-10-2021, 20:26   #28
cruiser

Good point, probably a light bulb and a bunch of cell phone chargers but those guys (it sounds like) installed a brand new system and need to train someone to try to maintain it. Bottled drinking water may be just fine. LA batteries can withstand a small amount of impurities. Rain water or agua purificada are the choices. If you dial back the charge settings it won't need much water. The system probably won't be deep cycled much anyway.
Old 18-10-2021, 20:42   #29

Boat: Casacde 36

I've used rainwater for years and have yet to see any degradation in performance. If you have doubts about its' purity, try a coffee filter.
01kiwijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2021, 04:34   #30

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
Berkey filters are very effective and operate be gravity alone.
I wasn’t familiar with these water filters. Thanks!

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Honduras, water