Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2017, 18:11   #46
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Re: Dive compressor install questions

Would it be the 3 stage compressor that needs cooling or the electric motor?
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2017, 18:22   #47

Boat: Valiant 42

The cylinder heads get pretty hot as the pressure rises to 3,000psi. They are air cooled but still get very hot. If they get too hot then it can damage the cylinder walls. So they have to cool off after filling a tank. That's why they say don't run them continuously.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2017, 18:52   #48
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
The cylinder heads get pretty hot as the pressure rises to 3,000psi. They are air cooled but still get very hot. If they get too hot then it can damage the cylinder walls. So they have to cool off after filling a tank. That's why they say don't run them continuously.
That makes sense.....Years back a friend of mine in Vancouver Jeremy Rowan started JMAR which became Jordair.
http://www.jordair.ca/company/index.html

He has over time consulted and supplied for me on larger 4 stage dive compressors and cascade systems for Super yachts and a 180 ft live aboard dive boat that I was the Captain on.

He always "derated " the output of compressor for longevity and advised that we cascade the empty tanks so that the compressor was running mostly on 3rd and 4th stages as he said it was the switch over to different stages from 500psi that accelerated wear.

For my private ocasional use on a much smaller boat, stopping after 2 fills is ok if need be.....
Converting DC storage power to AC for 3hp motor is probably the key issue
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2017, 12:50   #49

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Would it be the 3 stage compressor that needs cooling or the electric motor?
Compressor......
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 07:04   #50

Boat: FP Salina 48, Hobie 33

Got my compressor installed. I went with a Nardi Atlantic 100 compressor with a 3hp motor. The fill rate is almost the same as a Bauer JrII, with less current draw. I added an additional Shore/Gen switch so I can isolate the compressor from the rest of the boat. Then I moved the on/off switch from the compressor to the same box. I had to move the Port engine and generator start batteries, which involved replacing or extending some very expensive battery cables. I also had to cut off the roll bar/frame from the compressor so it would fit on the shelf. It was quite an ordeal, but it works.

I still need to install a blower for cooling air to the compressor.

https://youtu.be/Y2-v8YVM0VY
Tornadosailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 07:34   #51

Boat: 44ft mono hull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornadosailing View Post
Got my compressor installed. I went with a Nardi Atlantic 100 compressor with a 3hp motor. The fill rate is almost the same as a Bauer JrII, with less current draw. I added an additional Shore/Gen switch so I can isolate the compressor from the rest of the boat. Then I moved the on/off switch from the compressor to the same box. I had to move the Port engine and generator start batteries, which involved replacing or extending some very expensive battery cables. I also had to cut off the roll bar/frame from the compressor so it would fit on the shelf. It was quite an ordeal, but it works.

I still need to install a blower for cooling air to the compressor.

https://youtu.be/Y2-v8YVM0VY
Congrats on the install, looks good.

I'm also in the market for a compressor, albeit petrol over electric so just wondering, could you share why you went with the Nardi over the Bauer?
Olly75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 07:53   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olly75 View Post
Congrats on the install, looks good.

I'm also in the market for a compressor, albeit petrol over electric so just wondering, could you share why you went with the Nardi over the Bauer?
Size and power requirements. The Nardi compressor is tiny, and it's also considerably cheaper than the Bauer. I searched high and low for a Bauer that had the auto drain and shut off switches. Almost everyone I talked to said I couldn't get those options unless I bought the "Yacht Package" which also includes the stainless frame, for the low price of $11,000. I found one place out in CA that would sell me one with the options for $8500. I bought the Nardi with the auto drain and auto shut off for $3400. The only thing missing is an hour meter, which I have ordered from Amazon for $16.00. The Bauer "B Timer" is simply a vibration activated hour meter, so that's what I have coming.

I have a Bauer JrII gas. Not only is it inconvenient, but you get really tired of listening to it run. The compressor makes plenty of noise on it's own, but adding a gas motor on top of that is too much if you're filling 8 tanks.
Old 13-02-2018, 02:13   #53

Quote:
Size and power requirements. The Nardi compressor is tiny, and it's also considerably cheaper than the Bauer. I searched high and low for a Bauer that had the auto drain and shut off switches. Almost everyone I talked to said I couldn't get those options unless I bought the "Yacht Package" which also includes the stainless frame, for the low price of $11,000. I found one place out in CA that would sell me one with the options for $8500. I bought the Nardi with the auto drain and auto shut off for $3400. The only thing missing is an hour meter, which I have ordered from Amazon for $16.00. The Bauer "B Timer" is simply a vibration activated hour meter, so that's what I have coming.

I have a Bauer JrII gas. Not only is it inconvenient, but you get really tired of listening to it run. The compressor makes plenty of noise on it's own, but adding a gas motor on top of that is too much if you're filling 8 tanks.
thats interesting and a very good price, have you found a refillable filter housing to pack your own filters?
Understand the noise issue, however the boat Im looking has a fixed genny but doesn't appear to have the guts to run a compressor (or the space internally) even with all the funky electronic gizmos avaliable to reduce demand. Deck mounted is the only way.
Old 13-02-2018, 04:24   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olly75 View Post
thats interesting and a very good price, have you found a refillable filter housing to pack your own filters?
Understand the noise issue, however the boat Im looking has a fixed genny but doesn't appear to have the guts to run a compressor (or the space internally) even with all the funky electronic gizmos avaliable to reduce demand. Deck mounted is the only way.
All of the dive compressors I've seen use a replaceable filter cartridge. The only concern is availability in remote places.
Old 13-02-2018, 05:19   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I have a Bauer Junior gas powered one myself, and nowhere to put it.
Anything I have put on deck if off shore, pretty quickly gets ruined, bicycles, Hooka compressors etc. so I’m leery of putting it on deck.
How are you protecting it, what kind of maintenance?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 05:38   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Anything I have put on deck if off shore, pretty quickly gets ruined, bicycles, Hooka compressors etc. so I’m leery of putting it on deck.
The JrII I have now is one that my friend and I went halves on, and was only used for bareboat trips from Ft. Lauderdale to Bimini. We wrapped it up with a tarp and put it down in the forward seating well on a Lagoon 440 for the trip across the gulf stream, but left it on deck once we were in Bimini. The salt water certainly took it's toll, but it still works great.

Have you looked at portable generator enclosures?
Old 13-02-2018, 05:49   #57

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I've been thinking if I had to get a gas operated one I would put it in a dock box on the stern (mine is a center cockpit). I'd reinforce the box with more fiberglass and waterproof the lid more than normal. Thoughts?

Does the Nardi only come in 220v?
Old 13-02-2018, 06:17   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Dive compressor install questions

Quote:

Have you looked at portable generator enclosures?

I have not, but it’s a thought. It’s in storage for the time being. I figure we won’t need it until we get to where there are no fills to be had, which is at least a year or two away. Until then we will cruise the Caribbean, where I assume fills can be had.

I figure regular washing with soap and water and then after drying spraying with Corrosion -X will help, I’m a big fan of Corrosion -X
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2018, 07:27   #59

I was intending to build a fiberglass box at the mizzen step either with a solid base and a completely removable top and sides- to allow decent air flow and leave the compressor in situ when running, or a box with a removable front so the compressor can be easily lifted out and strapped at the pushpit when in use and then stored in the box when sailing.

Ive seen a box that was built with a bracket on the top to attach a bbq and also a chopping board to prepare fish. Seemed like a good adaptation.

I hadn't heard of dock boxes, but seem like they could be an easy and quick solution.

I've had a look at the Nardi and they do 110, 220 or petrol powered versions.
Old 17-02-2018, 05:03   #60
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Got my compressor installed. I went with a Nardi Atlantic 100 compressor with a 3hp motor.
Make sure you put LOTS of cooling air directly on the compressor. The Nardi is NOTORIOUS for heat problems. But, if you keep it cool and change the oil a lot more often than the manual says, it should work well for you.

rcontrera is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compressor