Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2020, 10:00   #1

Boat: 41' yawl
DIY generator off 1GM10

Hello,

I’m thinking of using an old 1gm10 I have to make a generator for my home. I already have oil heat so it makes sense to have a generator setup to run off the same fuel.

I’m an electrical engineer but I’m hoping folks have already identified a decent generator to run off this engine.

I’d prefer to go straight to 120VAC with engine rpm controlling output freq rather than a fancier setup, but open to ideas.

This is to run my fridges and oil burner (and it’s hydronic circulator pump)

1. Any tips on the generator to use?

2. As engine that was originally raw water cooled, the engine’s only water pump is a rubber impeller pump. That pump is expecting cold ocean water. Will it fail if it’s repurposed to circulate coolant at ~180 degree F loop through a radiator?

I know this is unlikely to save me much money compared to buying an off the shelf diesel generator, but I’d get a kick out of putting that little yanmar back in action.
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2020, 10:49   #2

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: DIY generator off 1GM10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris95040 View Post
Hello,

I’m thinking of using an old 1gm10 I have to make a generator for my home. I already have oil heat so it makes sense to have a generator setup to run off the same fuel.

I’m an electrical engineer but I’m hoping folks have already identified a decent generator to run off this engine.

I’d prefer to go straight to 120VAC with engine rpm controlling output freq rather than a fancier setup, but open to ideas.

2. As engine that was originally raw water cooled, the engine’s only water pump is a rubber impeller pump. That pump is expecting cold ocean water. Will it fail if it’s repurposed to circulate coolant at ~180 degree F loop through a radiator?

I know this is unlikely to save me much money compared to buying an off the shelf diesel generator, but I’d get a kick out of putting that little yanmar back in action.
Fun!

How about this generator head? You’re only working with 9hp so generator heads are limited.

https://m.northerntool.com/shop/tool...ct_21008_21008
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2020, 11:01   #3

Boat: Island Packet 40

Based upon prior experience I tend to the opinion that the pump will not be a problem, I built a system for a pumping project using a Farryman marine diesel with just a cooling water tank, no radiator. The water in the tank used to give off a fair bit of steam but the impeller pump did not cause any problems.

If you put a tall, skinny cooling water tank in it, it might even thermo syphon.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2020, 19:31   #4

Quote:
Hello,

Your 1GM Yanmar marine engine probably has a variable speed governor whereas conventional generator governors are fixed or constant speed to maintain a steady frequency. With your existing governor, each time the load changes, the rpm and frequency will also vary and require adjustment. This might not be important if your loads are steady but if for instance the freezers cycle on and off ,the change in frequency and voltage can be damaging to sensitive equipment. The Kva size of the generator is not really a major issue but if you use a big output unit, you will only be able to use the capacity that the engine can comfortably maintain.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2020, 19:42   #5

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

The existing mechanical governor would probably work ok if loads where reasonably constant. Perhaps supplement with an electronic unit if it isn't ok enough. I'd also investigate maybe the possibility of adapting an inverter for output.

As for connection of the engine to the alternator, consider doing it with a belt drive (off a pillow block if the engine not suitable for side loading). You'll most likely find that it simplifies the marriage of the two significantly compared to horsing around trying to connect the two directly in the absence of adapter components.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2020, 22:07   #6

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperpete View Post
Your 1GM Yanmar marine engine probably has a variable speed governor whereas conventional generator governors are fixed or constant speed to maintain a steady frequency. With your existing governor, each time the load changes, the rpm and frequency will also vary and require adjustment. This might not be important if your loads are steady but if for instance the freezers cycle on and off ,the change in frequency and voltage can be damaging to sensitive equipment. The Kva size of the generator is not really a major issue but if you use a big output unit, you will only be able to use the capacity that the engine can comfortably maintain.
I have a 2.2kW genset on which the governor seized up years ago. I have run battery chargers, microwaves, power tools, TVs etc. on it for years without any ill effects.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2020, 08:57   #7

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

With light and veriable loads you may get significant fuel saving by looking at an inverter setup. With fixed speed you will finish up whith aroun 5Kw output running loads of a few hundred watts. Add and inverter and 24hr batt capacity and you fuel bill will drop to near zero but with a more expensive build. Maybe look to a DC generator as the power head.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2020, 09:05   #8

Smile Re: DIY generator off 1GM10

Having recently retired from the generator business and before that the marine field including being a Yanmar dealer for 2 decades my comments:
- Likely completely uneconomic but fun to do for the right person.
- Possibly use a generator end from a good quality 5-6 kW. portable or a residential generator that has a failed engine. I believe that the 1GM10 had an SAE #1 housing but I could be wrong since it's now over 20 years ago! Only issue with that is the noise from 3,600 RPM operation. Several marine generator manufacturers did this in the past. Alternatively use less HP/kW and run with suitable belt drive arrangement.
- For practical purposes just use the same OEM thermostat ( 160 F. - ) and the regular impeller?
- For the radiator this could be incorporated into the house HVAC system to use the "waste" heat from the engine efficiently.
- The standard governor would likely be acceptable but if not then install an electronic one.
- The appropriate safety shutdowns for LOP, HET, overspeed, over crank, etc. and manual or automatic controls can be obtained basically off the shelf.
- Etc. - As I said, uneconomic but fun! Likely to at least equal the cost of a brand new 10 - 17 kW Generac automatic system complete with propane installation by the time that it is all done - it depends upon your abilities!!
Good luck,
Niall.
Niall leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2020, 09:14   #9

You could get creative with the cooling water. Instead of just dumping the heat to atmosphere, you could recover some amount of it for water heating or even home heating in the winter by adding a hot water coil to your HVAC system. More cost involved so maybe something for down the line but you could recover a lot more energy from your fuel this way.
Luckyknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2020, 10:06   #10

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Hello,

To be safe and legal, be sure to install a Transfer switch, to safe guard any power line employees.

You'll have to invert that DC to AC as well. Not sure how efficient this set will be.
Your already aware of that I'm sure.
Love to hear more of your plan.
SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2020, 10:39   #11

Boat: Kelly Peterson 46

We had a meccalte on our 11hp kuboto, and very happy with the quality and the customer service. They make a variety of units, and you could put an AVR on it or not... check out meccalte.com
bradfordharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2020, 10:48   #12

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

We use one of these:
https://www.harborfreight.com/10000-...ead-45416.html
coupled to the Chrysler slant 6 animation engine on the Sierra Madre Rose Parade float. It runs the sound system and various AC pumps and such. (Most of the animation is hydraulic, driven by the same engine).
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2020, 11:01   #13

Boat: Cape Dory 25D

Quote:
Hello,

Just my 2¢ worth, but I've done a lot of research into alternate energy. A 9HP engine is generally capable of producing 5-6 kW. The governor on a vehicle engine is not really well-suited to the level of isochrony needed for a direct AC generator. My research has suggested that a much better idea would be to generate DC with a high-output alternator, charge batteries, and use the batteries to run an inverter. Diesel engines (I spent six years as the lead tech/supervisor of the electronics lab of a fuel-injection R&D lab) are most efficient at 90-100% of rated output, so using a high-output alternator to drive a high-efficiency charge controller to charge a 48V battery bank that then powers an inverter lets you get the most out of a gallon of diesel. While this is more complex, it gives you good, clean, frequency-stable power, and allows you to safely power your devices. It also allows you to avoid the need to put up with lots of noise when you use AC power. Do you really want to crank up the generator every time you need a light?
Richv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2020, 11:05   #14

You'll need a fixed speed for proper voltage. If you can do that, find an 1800 rpm (?) generator motor. I dont think with that engine you want a 3600 rpm one.

The thing is, there are good little generators out there for like $350 electric start. I have a 4k one that is great. But it is gas powered. Burns almost nothing fuel wise.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2020, 11:23   #15

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Seal View Post
We use one of these:
https://www.harborfreight.com/10000-...ead-45416.html
coupled to the Chrysler slant 6 animation engine on the Sierra Madre Rose Parade float. It runs the sound system and various AC pumps and such. (Most of the animation is hydraulic, driven by the same engine).
He doesn’t have the power to run that one. It’s a tiny little engine he’s using. 9 hp.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1gm10, DIY, generator