Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2019, 09:25   #16
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: Do turn your solar off while motoring?

^^

a. You didn't notice because the controller was not reporting.
b. Your batteries were not as full before?

Could be a new problem. Or not.
Old 09-04-2019, 09:31   #17
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeonalean View Post
Hi all, I recently installed a solar array on my boat and have found that when motoring, my mppt controllers throw a “battery overload” warning. I asked the guy I bought my solar system from and he said I was supposed to install a switch between the panels and the controllers and I need to turn the solar off anytime I am motoring. I did a lot of research when I was doing the install and I don’t remember seeing anything about turning it off when motoring. Are charge controllers really not capable of dealing with other charge sources? Why does it seem to work fine when I am on shore power?
I have 4 x 140W panels with a controller for each pair, each pair going to one 8D Gel battery, and a Balmar MC-614 regulator; I never turn them off. Sounds like you need to get another dealer.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 09:35   #18

Boat: J/42

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
Turning off the solar so the controller can't report an overvoltage is like putting a piece of black tape over your car's "check engine" light.
A previous owner of my 328i was more efficient: I discovered that he simply removed the bulb from the "check engine" light.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 10:16   #19

Boat: Cal-40

My charge controller isolates the panels as soon as the batteries reach the set voltage. I have mine at 14.2 volts. When I start the engine very quickly the alternator will achieve this and the charge controller will show my batteries at full charge and shut off the panels. You should not need to install a switch. Been doing this for years now with no problems.
Siberian Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 10:48   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Slight threaddrift....anyone need to turn off the controller when using HF radio, because of RF interference?
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 11:14   #21

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrail View Post
Slight threaddrift....anyone need to turn off the controller when using HF radio, because of RF interference?

Arg, yes ! My BlueSky 2512 also makes a nice (although weak) "open mic" signal on VHF channel 16.

Mae West
senormechanico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 11:27   #22

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

It is no problem to leave the solar on, but I usually turn it off when motoring.
I have a step regulator and a 150 amp alternator and I just switch off the solar so it will not interfere.
I usually switch off solar when we are plugged into shore power. Same reason. But no problem to leave solar on.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 12:13   #23

Boat: Rafiki 37

Same … never shut my MPPT off. Have an alternator, windgen, and shore power charger. They all seem to play well together.

I’m far from an electrical expert, but shouldn’t 16v be impossible? Clearly something is screwy. Could it be a damaged battery?
Old 09-04-2019, 13:42   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tucker CA41 Steel 40 foot Ketch

My alternator is regulated at 14.0 Volts, my solars (350 watts) are regulated at 14.8 Volts so if I have both on when motoring the alternator shuts off as it thinks the voltage has been reached. I discovered this when the red light came on (thought the fan belt had gone) whilst motoring and I found the alternator was very cold and producing no amps, turned off the solar and things went back to normal.

I need the larger amount of amps from the alternator to top up my batteries so yes I turn the solars off when motoring otherwise I end up with undercharged batteries
Triumphant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 13:50   #25

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
Arg, yes ! My BlueSky 2512 also makes a nice (although weak) "open mic" signal on VHF channel 16.
Yes, strong high pitched whine from my Blue Sky 3000i, but only on 6209. No VHF interference.

I have a breaker to shut off the panels in a convenient location, and its only a problem on this frequency, so no biggee....except its a frequency I use. [emoji849]

Blue Sky was nice enough to send me ferrites at no charge, but that didnt fix the problem.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 13:51   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Same … never shut my MPPT off. Have an alternator, windgen, and shore power charger. They all seem to play well together.

I’m far from an electrical expert, but shouldn’t 16v be impossible? Clearly something is screwy. Could it be a damaged battery?
No, a malfunctioning alternator regulator can cause 16V output.
Old 09-04-2019, 13:52   #27
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

I"m no electrical expert but we shut our alternator off once it reaches its voltage setpoint via a field wire switch & let the solar do the work as why add the load to the motor when the solar can handle it? Whilst the panels are putting out sufficient of course.
But the PWM solar controller stays on all the time as again it "helps" the alternator to get to it's setpoint faster.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 13:59   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddster8 View Post
A previous owner of my 328i was more efficient: I discovered that he simply removed the bulb from the "check engine" light.
Of course some vehicle check engine lights are just a ruse. My good old '89 Jeep XJ's was literally connected to a cheap plastic clock timer mechanism...old school, plastic gears and all. Served no purpose except to ensure a periodic visit to the dealer, where they reset the timer, and extracted money.
Old 09-04-2019, 15:00   #29

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

Quote:
Good topic.

Some LEDs can also create RF interference. I check every new device - including solar controller.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 03:16   #30

Boat: Catalina 375

I never turn off my solar except if I was to plug in to shore power for some reason. 500 W on the bimini for 9 years.
Ardbeg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor, solar