Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2023, 20:43   #106

Boat: Tartan 40
Does a genset still make sense?

And, Hondas under load aren’t quiet when you’re downwind or the exhaust is pointed at your boat. Install a proper genset or please anchor far away[emoji3]
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2023, 22:44   #107

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

If the vessel has a gas outboard the only thing that changes is the amount of gas to be stored.

A hush box will deaden the Honda’s noise at full load and protect it from rains and splashes.

There are kits that allow the Honda to draw fuel straight off an outboard fuel tank.

If a single or double Honda is not enough power to meet needs the a diesel generator is a better option.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2023, 00:16   #108

Boat: Cruising Catamaran
Re: Does a genset still make sense?

We should campaign with Government to give us Cruisers a cash rebate if we convert over from a generator. After all they are doing it for electric cars and solar roofed houses
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2023, 02:30   #109

Boat: Stuart 47

FWIW.
Under previous owner, my boat had a Honda genset. PO shut it down and went below.
Several minutes later, there was a significant fire on the deck under the genset.
One of the limitations of the Honda (when compared with a Yamaha for example) is that the fuel cannot be separately shut off thereby allowing the engine to run the carby dry.
I acknowledge that there could have been lots of things that contributed to this disaster.
Toccata is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2023, 04:44   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joh.Ghurt View Post
What rslifkin said, it all depends on the boat, where you sail and other factors. I decided to replace the old broken generator because it covers all my energy needs beyond the rather cheap solar installation I could easily fit on my boat. It was cheaper than going with wind, hydro or a really big solar array with the batteries to match.

As to the alternator, my small generator produces 3.5 kW (at 220V) for about 1l/hour. Investing into upgrading the alternator and the pulleys on the main engine wasn't worth it either to me.

In the end a generator made sense in my case. There are also many other good solutions that might fit other people better. You need to think about what works best for you.
Agreed. We have a diesel genset, 920w of solar, hydrogenerator, wind generator, engine alternator. They all have a place. We are all electric cooking with back up propane cooking. Using our 86hp, 4.4L engine to charge with an alternator would crazy. The Perkins twin cylinder 450cc 9hp generator engine is a far better solution.
Wandering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2023, 06:04   #111

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Another point on the Hondas is that contrary to popular belief, they are NOT efficient. They're better than most other air cooled gas generators, but far less efficient than an installed diesel unit.

I ran the numbers on this a few years ago: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3079298
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2023, 06:13   #112

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toccata View Post
One of the limitations [...] is that the fuel cannot be separately shut off thereby allowing the engine to run the carby dry.
I usually close the tank cap vent a few minutes before shutting off the generator, hoping it will create some negative pressure in the tank. Haven't tried running it dry this way, though. Anyone tried this?

Thanks,
Dirk
krid2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2023, 06:32   #113
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
FWIW.
Under previous owner, my boat had a Honda genset. PO shut it down and went below.
Several minutes later, there was a significant fire on the deck under the genset.
One of the limitations of the Honda (when compared with a Yamaha for example) is that the fuel cannot be separately shut off thereby allowing the engine to run the carby dry.
I acknowledge that there could have been lots of things that contributed to this disaster.
Quote:
Originally Posted by krid2000 View Post
I usually close the tank cap vent a few minutes before shutting off the generator, hoping it will create some negative pressure in the tank. Haven't tried running it dry this way, though. Anyone tried this?

Thanks,
Dirk
This is old info, the current models all have a fuel shut-off valve.

These little Honda generators have become much more usable since Victron introduced the PowerAssist feature. Now you can run the Honda which can only do 2.2kW peak and 1.8kW continuous on the shore power inlet even while using 3kW power aboard, without overloading the generator. Any excess power is used to charge the batteries, very efficient compared to a large diesel genset that is running on 50% of it’s power output.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2023, 04:12   #114

Boat: Stuart 47

Re Jedis' comment above:
I'd reckon as a proportion of Honda gensets in use, the old (no separate fuel tap) style would still outnumber the new type.
I'm just urging caution. It might be a rare event, but it sure ruined the previous owners day, and created a difficult repair on the aft deck of the yacht.
To return to the topic:
My current boat is a Stuart 47' motorsailer, 1200 sq feet sail, wheelhouse configuration, 140hp engine.
I removed a Fischer Panda. It was old, poorly maintained probably due to difficult access. The exhaust gas/water separator was leaking, and a heavy little thing. I'm looking to increase the solar performance and use the main engine driven alternator as required. Note, I have left the space where the genset was installed, as I am yet to live aboard and try out my energy management.
Toccata is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2023, 05:52   #115

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Re Jedis' comment above:
I'd reckon as a proportion of Honda gensets in use, the old (no separate fuel tap) style would still outnumber the new type.
I'm just urging caution. It might be a rare event, but it sure ruined the previous owners day, and created a difficult repair on the aft deck of the yacht.
To return to the topic:
My current boat is a Stuart 47' motorsailer, 1200 sq feet sail, wheelhouse configuration, 140hp engine.
I removed a Fischer Panda. It was old, poorly maintained probably due to difficult access. The exhaust gas/water separator was leaking, and a heavy little thing. I'm looking to increase the solar performance and use the main engine driven alternator as required. Note, I have left the space where the genset was installed, as I am yet to live aboard and try out my energy management.
I agree, every internal combustion engine should have a fuel turn-off valve. This was the reason I didn’t buy a Honda generator before, although it wasn’t just for safety as I want to be able to run the carburetor empty instead of shutting down the generator when I’m not using it for a while.

For these accidents that happen, I was under the impression that they are mostly caused by tampering, like trying to connect external fuel tanks etc. ?

Old 20-10-2023, 07:04   #116

Boat: Lagoon 380

-
….End Quote---
I agree, every internal combustion engine should have a fuel turn-off valve. This was the reason I didn’t buy a Honda generator before, although it wasn’t just for safety as I want to be able to run the carburetor empty instead of shutting down the generator when I’m not using it for a while…..

Gotta be careful refueling these type gensets. Every 3 to 6 hours u have an empty tank. Then what? Do u wait for it to cool? At 3am on the transom with biting insects, rain approaching?
Since the unit holds almost exactly one gallon, i use that size container to fill a MT machine. Any overflow from that filler creates a dangerous situation. I have witnesses refueling fires with lawnmowers on concrete. Put that fire on FRP, and things will get more exciting.
team karst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2023, 07:42   #117

Boat: R&C Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Tin View Post
We should campaign with Government to give us Cruisers a cash rebate if we convert over from a generator. After all they are doing it for electric cars and solar roofed houses
If you are paying USA taxes, your wish has been granted for the last couple years.

https://www.energysage.com/solar/sol...dit-explained/
Old 20-10-2023, 07:45   #118

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Yup, if your boat meets the pretty basic requirements to qualify as a second home (or if it's your primary residence) you can claim the US federal solar tax credit on it. Some states also have additional credits, although for me in NY that one is only applicable to a primary residence (so I couldn't claim that for adding solar to the boat).
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2023, 07:52   #119

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by team karst View Post
Gotta be careful refueling these type gensets. Every 3 to 6 hours u have an empty tank. Then what? Do u wait for it to cool? At 3am on the transom with biting insects, rain approaching?
Since the unit holds almost exactly one gallon, i use that size container to fill a MT machine. Any overflow from that filler creates a dangerous situation. I have witnesses refueling fires with lawnmowers on concrete. Put that fire on FRP, and things will get more exciting.
I wouldn’t refuel it at all. My sole reason for running it aboard is to convert a gallon of gas to charge of the battery. If it runs 3 hours on a gallon then I get around 6kWh out of it which is plenty for a couple days without sun

Also nice and neat to store it with empty tank and empty carburetor. I use battery powered fuel pumps for refueling and I also use it to take the fuel out of the Honda’s tank back into the jerry jug. These pumps are cheap and effective, some even have an automatic stop when it’s full.