Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2021, 04:05   #1

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32
Does this drive you crazy ?

I'm helping a friend with his boat, a Shamrock 20. Yeah, it's a powerboat, but he's a good friend. But when I climbed into the little cuddy and looked at this mess, it just made me cringe. I don't know which owner did what over the years, but I can't believe the factory would use nothing but orange wiring for so much. I'm not going to rewire the whole boat, I'm just going to clean this up as best I can, starting with getting rid of any obvious hazards. I've already found 3 hot wires going nowhere !! And this on a gas powered boat. Makes you wonder how the thing is still here.

Anyway, I figured someone might enjoy this, and I'm sure some have come across worse, but it still drives me crazy.
Old 20-03-2021, 04:28   #2

Boat: Southwind 21 et al.
Re: Does this drive you crazy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManMirage View Post
I'm helping a friend with his boat, a Shamrock 20. Yeah, it's a powerboat, but he's a good friend...
LOL

I have a similar mess to clean up on mine. I already removed the 20 gauge solid core doorbell wires and the fuse/switch box in the rear lazarette near the gas tank. The cabin light and navigation light wires were simply taped to the cabin ceiling. They soldered to screws where they should have used ring terminals and wrapped solder lugs in the fuse box without soldering them.. When I get closer to being done with the interior refit I will rewire all with 14/2 marine tinned duplex and heat shrink crimps. Panel is going to be in the main cabin. I already added a small solar panel to keep the battery up and everything that I have as a temporary installation is fused or has a breaker: solar to battery, battery to panel at battery, panel master, and panel to all runs.