Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2020, 22:31   #1

Dual engines, Dual alternators, one Balmar mc-614?

So the Balmar mc-614 can handle outputting upto 12 amps of field current.

I am installing it to control a single Leece Neville/Prestolite 4890JB 320 amp alternator that I have converted to external regulation..

I fear this alternator, driven by the accessory pulley on a detroit diesel, at Idle speed, is not going to produce very much amperage for a well depleted 880AH Lifeline house bank. I should have actual data tomorrow.

I also do not know, YET, its maximum field current and might not know, as it has got dual V belts, and Belt Load manager is expected to be used, at what level is yet to be determined.

There is potential that the boat owner will authorize a second alternator for second engine. Or I will use an Existing delco 27si on it.

If so, I'd want something with lots of grunt at low rpms, and external fan, bidirectional, or with a CCW rotation model available.

The Delco 27si makes 23 to 25 amps at idle, though I am not sure if it is working as it should. Made 55 amps with a couple more hundred rpm. It has an external 14v regulator, that had a Diode on V sense line, and it and was taking the fully charged lifelines to 14.9v

Say there is no chance the two alternators can exceed 12 amps field current.
How will the two mismatched alternators like sharing the Balmar's field output of two engines potentially spinning different rpm's?

Say they can exceed 12 amps together, can I use the belt load manager to protect the Balmar instead of the belts?

If this potential idea does not ring red bells and illuminate bronze warning lights, Which of these two alternators would it be better to put the Alternator temperature sensor on? Obviously, I'd try to measure which would get hotter faster, if I am on the boat when both are feeding a well depleted 880Ah lifeline bank
Sternwake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 23:38   #2

Re: Dual engines, Dual alternators, one Balmar mc-614?

Buy a 2nd balmar.

Why are you running an engine at idle.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator, balmar, engine