Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2014, 20:00   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon
Re: Dual power 220/110

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingCloud1937 View Post
MD,

I sure hope you are not running in 110 loads with your current configuration. If so you have created a very unsafe environment for not only all on-board your boat, but all of your neighbors in the Marina.

Lloyd

Lloyd...

Absolutely not... Ground is for ground.... the emergency path to not glowing when things go awry.... or making the water tingly.... Not for manufaturing a "neutral" for 120... (although I to get creative in my land based circuitry sometimes)

All my 120 needs are converted from the 240 at the application...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2014, 23:19   #17
Marine Service Provider

MD, you are not out of the woods yet.

You have created a suicide cord set.

I sure hope none takes your 50 amp service plug and cord set, that you created, and then plugs it into a US wired 30 amp 120 boat-side.

As now the boat-side Line 1 will be at 120v, and so will the boat-side earth be at 120v, 180 degrees apart.

Big Bang Theory=unhappy sailor.

Also marina management, as it will most likely blow some transformers, and the voltage spikes across many of the neighbors boats is going to cost you also some big dollars.

Lloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
You bet Bud!

I've got a wonky workaround that I'm doing for the time being... I hesitate to share as the electron heads like to pounce on bad ideas... BUT... They're all great guys, and wanna help...

I've got a standard 30A boat side to my cord/socket, and a 50A 120/240 male plugged into a 50A 120/240 service... Not all are dual voltage, so do some research... Anyway... There are two hot leads in this plus a neutral and ground... I've got the 2 hot and ground wired to the boat...
The 30A cord is plenty cause at 240, we're halving our current load...

Oh well...
FlyingCloud1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2014, 06:38   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post

I've got a wonky workaround that I'm doing for the time being... I hesitate to share as the electron heads like to pounce on bad ideas... BUT... They're all great guys, and wanna help...
Oh well...
Prediction realized...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentOption View Post
I am going to just keep it very simple for right now and add a separate panel with 3 breakers, volt and amp meters.
The distribution breakers will power outlets...I will put one at the nav station or near, one in the main cabin and one in the galley. as near the running water as possible.
I think the small simple 120 panel and separate AC system is the hot ticket... (pun intended)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingCloud1937 View Post
MD, you are not out of the woods yet.

You have created a suicide cord set.

I sure hope none takes your 50 amp service plug and cord set, that you created, and then plugs it into a US wired 30 amp 120 boat-side.

As now the boat-side Line 1 will be at 120v, and so will the boat-side earth be at 120v, 180 degrees apart.

Big Bang Theory=unhappy sailor.

Also marina management, as it will most likely blow some transformers, and the voltage spikes across many of the neighbors boats is going to cost you also some big dollars.

Lloyd
Lloyd,

I like to drive REALLY fast too!!!!!!!!

Just to ease your mind... I will label the cord end with the note:

"Do not use unless you want to fry all of your electronics, test marina fire extinguishers, AND... scoop net all of the dead fish"

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote