Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2012, 10:30   #31

Boat: Hunter Legend 420 Passage
Re: DuoGen

We've had a DuoGen for 5 years and have been pleased with it, despite some problems which have been quickly sorted by the company FOC. We hold the record from the wind genny of 40 amps - it has blown the 35 amp fuse twice!

The alternator is big and can be noisy if you sleep at the aft of the boat so we turn it off at night.

In wind mode it takes a lot to get it going, but it works well in towing mode. If you are doing a lot of trade wind sailing the towing mode is great. Only takes about 30 seconds to switch over from wind mode.
sailinglegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 15:10   #32

Boat: Shin Fa 458 Custom Cutter but looks like a Liberty 458

Send me your email address and I'll send you some photos of what was left of the inside of ours. A mess.
mestrezat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:16   #33

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis Clipper 473 - named Beyzano

We have had exactly the same problems with the Duogen shaft and ours has also stopped rotating.

We are about to take the generator apart to replace the bearings and hope we don't find the same mess inside. If we do, we'll post again and will be buying solar panels!!

https://www.beyzano.com
Rhian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 14:06   #34

Boat: Shin Fa 458 Custom Cutter but looks like a Liberty 458

Alison at DuoGen can supply you with a "manual" of how to take it apart and put it back together. They have been quite helpful with their customer support. I'd have preferred a better product that keeps the water out but hey, it's built for boats so we all know it's going to fail sooner than later. Only good thing is that I rebuilt mine out here in Fiji where the labor charges aren't like they would be if I did it in the US(God help me).
Let me know how it works out. Hopefully you will fare better than we did. Happy to send you photos is you want.
OH, the rectifiers are 35 amps ones. I put in 50's just because it sounded bigger and better than 35 amp.
mestrezat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2015, 16:52   #35

I know that this thread is old, but I thought it worth posting in case someone is interested in a DuoGen.

I'm in the process of buying a 2011 Elan 444. This is a European boat that was sailed across the Atlantic. It was equipped with a DuoGen. As someone noted in the thread, they are recommended for the ARC. It looks like it is in excellent condition (just like the entire boat) and will be checked at survey next month.

Unfortunately, I will not be able to use it when I add davits. Therefore I will be taking it off the boat and selling it. I will be pricing it competitively with a high quality wind generator, e.g. a D400, but I have not figured the price yet; too busy with getting other ducks in line.

Please contact me if you are interested in this unit. The boat is in the Tampa, FL area and I will work with you on transportation if not local.

The reason for posting this now is that you might want to see it before it is taken off the boat in late July (if you happen to live in the area).
mlibkind is offline   Reply With Quote