Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2019, 23:21   #46

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Electric Range without a Generator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtmf View Post
if the stove amps is less than the inverter amps you are OK . if not get an 8000 amp inverter, better to have bigger and more than not enough, just ask any woman.

Is that 8000 Amps on the low or high voltage side?

A 96kW inverter? Are you planning on running 3 phase power on a boat?
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2019, 23:25   #47

Certainly he meant 8000 watts.

BTW, 3phase is easy to provide on a large boat - generator, triple inverters which synch to each other. Wiring is much smaller, motors also are powerful and small (pumps, winches, windlass, etc.).
mako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2019, 03:37   #48

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
"Cap'n, I think we're gonna need a bigger boat"
Still may not work
We have 250 w panel x9
220amp batts x 8
7kva genset
5000 va inverter

And still wouldn't consider an electric cooktop
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2019, 03:51   #49

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Horse View Post
I simply don't understand the electric propulsion thing. To me its not a workable solution. Great. I can electric motor for 3 hrs and then my $5K batteries are dead. To bad I needed to power for 3.5 hrs and as a result of running out of power I got run over by a freighter.

What is wrong with that picture besides everything.

So you are worried that a freighter is going to chase you for 3.5hr? If you’ve managed to stay ahead for 3hr why do you think that they are going to chase you for another half hour before giving up?
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2019, 04:04   #50

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Still may not work

We have 250 w panel x9

220amp batts x 8

7kva genset

5000 va inverter

And still wouldn't consider an electric cooktop

So you have 2250w of solar panels, 1760amp-hr of battery storage of which 880a-hr is usable I assume, a big generator and a huge inverter. Overall a big system. And you wouldn’t consider an induction cooktop. OK, no reason given except personal preference.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2019, 05:32   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
And you wouldn’t consider an induction cooktop. OK, no reason given except personal preference.
That's what boating is all about.

I've been a gassy-guy my whole life but one day brought home an $80 table top induction. Absolutely loved it. It obviously works at double the efficiency of gas, plus it cycles 50% of the time, so in essence is "4X better" and without the moisture and heat making you sweat.

However my wife still insists on gas on the boat because she spends so much time with the wok and similar. So I'm determined on the next boat to install a double (front-back) induction cooktop immediately next to a double gas one. Hopefully same manufacturer so they match, plus this gives redundancy from three separate cooking fuels: (solar electric, diesel electric, LPG).
Old 24-03-2019, 07:40   #52
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Does burning diesel direct get up to the high btu a big wok requires?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2019, 08:15   #53

“Diesel electric” means generator
Old 24-03-2019, 08:25   #54
cruiser

yes I know.

my question is about diesel stoves
Old 24-03-2019, 09:28   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Electric Range without a Generator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Does burning diesel direct get up to the high btu a big wok requires?

Diesel can get hot, very, very hot.
Military burners I have used to heat tents etc. and water worked very well, but there was a little time before they got hot enough to burn clean that they were smoky. Only drawback that I know of, that until they get hot they smoke a little and of course then will smell.
Only item left in the US Army that still burned gasoline when I retired in 02 was the cook stove, that burned Mogas.

Most of the burners were extremely simple devices, one was just a can that dripped Diesel into the burner, just a simple brass valve was the only moving part.
It heated a 30 gl trashcan of water to boiling pretty quick, we washed and sterilized our mess kits that way before MRE’s came out.
This thing, we always used jet fuel though, Military only uses jet fuel even in their Diesel engines, one fuel simplifies supply. This thing is a WWII design, so then I’m sure it burned gasoline.

http://www.waynesthisandthat.com/How...%20Heater.html
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2019, 13:08   #56

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
So you have 2250w of solar panels, 1760amp-hr of battery storage of which 880a-hr is usable I assume, a big generator and a huge inverter. Overall a big system. And you wouldn’t consider an induction cooktop. OK, no reason given except personal preference.
If the induction cooktop was the only thing running it would be fine but we have multiple 240v fridge freezers in use and a 180 litre 240v hot water system plus other intermittent use appliances.

In sunny weather no genset required and batts get to 100% by midday and have 85% at 5am BUT , if I use the microwave for 20minutes in the evening (don't like them, rarely used) the battery alarm will start beeping at around 3am as voltage drops below 23.5v on fridge/freezer starts.

Add: We also use a wok most nights and other nights the Webber q bbq so gas would seem to be essential.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2019, 14:50   #57

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post
However my wife still insists on gas on the boat because she spends so much time with the wok and similar.

I use a wok on the induction cooker al the time. It's got a 15cm (6") diameter flat centre and works really well.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2019, 22:00   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
I use a wok on the induction cooker al the time. It's got a 15cm (6") diameter flat centre and works really well.
We might be moving back to our US house this summer, and it has a horrible electric range. Perhaps I'll buy another table top induction and let her use and learn.

Still I wouldn't want to be 100% reliant on electric cooking on a boat. Some redundancy is required. Perhaps that can be provided with an LPG barbecue and some butane table top cookers.
Old 25-03-2019, 07:07   #59
cruiser

Table-top portable induction plates are often woefully underpowered compared to the average stove top.
Old 25-03-2019, 08:29   #60

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:

I wonder also.

Once you go with the electric cooktop and maybe one of those new electric instant ovens, you might as well add in heating your hot water from an inverter. Our how water goes from whatever the normal temp is to showering hot in about 20-25 minutes so that is about 700 watts or 58 amps. An engine with properly configured dual 200 amp alternators married to a bank of lithium can easy power the hot water and all your cooking needs.

I’m not sure if the economics though. We are starting the engine anyway to heat the water and our propane only costs us $10 a month.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, generator