Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2019, 18:05   #106
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Electric Range without a Generator?

LOL, in other words, OMG
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 18:15   #107

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
IOW??

In other words.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 19:00   #108

Boat: CT 49, 1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Stick & brick

IOW people with conventional stationary homes, as opposed to mobile nomads.
John, for those of us that arent up with your shorthand code, any chance you can be spell it out for us please, so we know what you're saying.
Q Xopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 14:02   #109

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q Xopa View Post
John, for those of us that arent up with your shorthand code, any chance you can be spell it out for us please, so we know what you're saying.

S&B was a new one to me too, but after almost 20 years of texting surely you’re able to work out most of of the acronyms by context?
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 14:25   #110

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Electric Range without a Generator?

I have been texting for 5 yr now. Since I started on an iPhone with a full keyboard there has been little call for the shorthand that developed in the early days with a phone keypad.

More to the point this is an international forum so many members are from places where the acronyms/slang/shorthand may have different meanings or which have no meaning at all and some members speak/write English as a second language.

Acronyms related cruising destinations such as QLD for Queensland, Australia or normal units of measure such as a-hr for amp-hours are reasonable to use in this context.

Expecting international members to know one’s provincial slang is presumptuous and becoming tetchy or condescending to those that question the meanings is rude.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 14:41   #111

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
S&B was a new one to me too, but after almost 20 years of texting surely you’re able to work out most of of the acronyms by context?
What's a fxykty?

It may surprise you that of everyone has been texting for 20 years and even when I do I still don't dumb down the English language on principle.
Its not like letters are a finite resource.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 14:57   #112

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
What's a fxykty?
According to a profile comment from one forum member, apparently it's an abbreviation of "Foxy Kitty"

Cruisers & Sailing Forums - View Profile: fxykty
Old 04-04-2019, 16:05   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
According to a profile comment from one forum member, apparently it's an abbreviation of "Foxy Kitty"

Cruisers & Sailing Forums - View Profile: fxykty

Yes, I am Foxy and my (now) wife is Kitty. It’s our boat name and based on our Viber avatars that we used during our electronic courtship and continue to use.
Old 04-04-2019, 16:15   #114

Quote:
I have been texting for 5 yr now. Since I started on an iPhone with a full keyboard there has been little call for the shorthand that developed in the early days with a phone keypad.

More to the point this is an international forum so many members are from places where the acronyms/slang/shorthand may have different meanings or which have no meaning at all and some members speak/write English as a second language.

Acronyms related cruising destinations such as QLD for Queensland, Australia or normal units of measure such as a-hr for amp-hours are reasonable to use in this context.

Expecting international members to know one’s provincial slang is presumptuous and becoming tetchy or condescending to those that question the meanings is rude.

S&B may be provincial slang, but surely LOL, YMMV, IMHO (aka IMNSHO), darn it also ‘aka’, ROTFL, and on and on are surely international?

Asking for explanation may be humbling but how is using ‘PM me’ or ‘YMMV’ presumptuous or heaven forbid condescending? We’re all just trying to communicate and the TLAs (three letter acronyms) are often unconscious shortcuts. You’re right though; it doesn’t help communications to use TLAs that are obscure. But who defines what’s obscure, as truly local terms are pretty rare. YMMV
Old 04-04-2019, 17:02   #115

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España

Quote:
S&B may be provincial slang, but surely LOL, YMMV, IMHO (aka IMNSHO), darn it also ‘aka’, ROTFL, and on and on are surely international?

Asking for explanation may be humbling but how is using ‘PM me’ or ‘YMMV’ presumptuous or heaven forbid condescending? We’re all just trying to communicate and the TLAs (three letter acronyms) are often unconscious shortcuts. You’re right though; it doesn’t help communications to use TLAs that are obscure. But who defines what’s obscure, as truly local terms are pretty rare. YMMV
Most of them are provincial to those who text a lot. To those who text little or not at all very few would be common knowledge. A few have made it into truly widespread and international use (lol), but less than you think (what is IMNSHO?).

Something like aka predates texting and may be widespread but I'm not really sure. Do you know what DBA means?

How about Hc and Az? You are on this forum which is all about cruising so there is an argument that you should know them. Would I be rude to post "LOL, you don't know what Hc and Az are? OMG"
Old 04-04-2019, 17:32   #116

Quote:
Most of them are provincial to those who text a lot. To those who text little or not at all very few would be common knowledge. A few have made it into truly widespread and international use (lol), but less than you think (what is IMNSHO?).

Something like aka predates texting and may be widespread but I'm not really sure. Do you know what DBA means?

How about Hc and Az? You are on this forum which is all about cruising so there is an argument that you should know them. Would I be rude to post "LOL, you don't know what Hc and Az are? OMG"

Good points, I usually Google a term I don’t know to see what comes up. Urban dictionary is also useful and amazes me how non-PG many of the meanings are. These resources won’t work for truly local TLAs such as the aforementioned ‘S&B’ as all Google gave me were ‘salary & benefits’ and ‘specs & bodies’ and UD gave ‘shorts and bra’. None of these worked in context, so I’m glad someone else asked for the meaning.

‘Az’ first guess is Arizona, but UD says either a Brooklyn rapper or amazing as well as the state. ‘Hc’ no idea, but UD says haircut. What did you mean? Your LOL statement would be rude if you didn’t include some emojis to qualify the apparent rudeness.

IMO - in my opinion
IMHO - in my humble opinion
IMNHO - in my not humble opinion
IMNSHO - in my not so humble opinion
IMNSFHO - in my not so f**king humble opinion
IMNSHBRWIO - in my not so humble but rather well informed opinion
IRAH - insert random acronym here
Old 04-04-2019, 17:33   #117

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

In my not so humble opinion, IMNSHO is sufficiently common on forums and mailing lists that subscribers should beome familiar with it fairly quickly and can always check it out if they are unfamiliar with it
LMGTFY

I've been subscribed to many of the DBA lists for years
databaseadvisors.com Mailing Lists

In the context of cruising, one would assume you are referring to celestial navigation, in which case Hc = calculated Height (Altitude) and Az = Azimuth. Many cruisers have no knowledge or need of celestial navigation, so IMNSHO, yes it would be rude.
Old 04-04-2019, 19:14   #118

Quote:
Good points, I usually Google a term I don’t know to see what comes up. Urban dictionary is also useful and amazes me how non-PG many of the meanings are. These resources won’t work for truly local TLAs such as the aforementioned ‘S&B’ as all Google gave me were ‘salary & benefits’ and ‘specs & bodies’ and UD gave ‘shorts and bra’. None of these worked in context, so I’m glad someone else asked for the meaning.

‘Az’ first guess is Arizona, but UD says either a Brooklyn rapper or amazing as well as the state. ‘Hc’ no idea, but UD says haircut. What did you mean? Your LOL statement would be rude if you didn’t include some emojis to qualify the apparent rudeness.

IMO - in my opinion
IMHO - in my humble opinion
IMNHO - in my not humble opinion
IMNSHO - in my not so humble opinion
IMNSFHO - in my not so f**king humble opinion
IMNSHBRWIO - in my not so humble but rather well informed opinion
IRAH - insert random acronym here
Googling terms is not really such a big deal on my laptop, but a time consuming pain on a phone which is what a lot of members use. More importantly in a well read thread, like this one, a lot of folks will have to look up the acronyms, saves the writer a minor amount of time at the expense of a bunch of other folks who look it up and at the expense of clarity to those who don't bother or speak English as a 2nd language and can't pick the meaning out of all the available definitions. And there are a whole lot of folks here that just aren't that good with computers, just good enough to post.

When I asked what B&S was John answered using another acronym, IOW, not clear whether he was trying to be funny/ironic or whether it was out of habit.
The first google result was Isle of Wight.
John was rude and condescending above when he spelled out what he meant by IOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
LOL, in other words, OMG
AZ would be Arizona. Az is short for azimuth. One would think that cruisers might desire a grounding in navigation.

I note that you have provided 6 variations on the acronym for "In My Opinion". How may of these am I be expected to know off the top of my head and which ones may I ask the definitions for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
In my not so humble opinion, IMNSHO is sufficiently common on forums and mailing lists that subscribers should beome familiar with it fairly quickly and can always check it out if they are unfamiliar with it
LMGTFY

I've been subscribed to many of the DBA lists for years
databaseadvisors.com Mailing Lists

In the context of cruising, one would assume you are referring to celestial navigation, in which case Hc = calculated Height (Altitude) and Az = Azimuth. Many cruisers have no knowledge or need of celestial navigation, so IMNSHO, yes it would be rude.
I've been on this forum for 9 years and I didn't know off the top of my head what "IMNSHO" means. Are you implying I'm stupid for not knowing? Just because you are familiar with something doesn't mean everybody else is, or even most people, of even that most people should be.

The Google dictionary doesn't have it either though there are plenty of web references.

I assume the LMGTFY link is meant as a joke rather than an attempt at a put down.

In the paragraph I asked about DBA, I mentioned AKA as a hint towards context. DBA is the business equivalent of AKA, "Doing Business As". If you ever review your credit card statements this is a good thing to know about.

In the context of cruising Hc is HeightCalculated from celestial navigation and Az is azimuth from celestial navigation and from general navigation. I know most cruisers have no knowledge of CelNav, it is arguable whether they need to know it. Not knowing Az means they don't have a grounding in navigation generally which is concerning for folks that cruise.

How about XTE?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Google IMNSHO.png
Views:	55
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	189418  
Old 05-04-2019, 01:21   #119

Quote:
Googling terms is not really such a big deal on my laptop, but a time consuming pain on a phone which is what a lot of members use. More importantly in a well read thread, like this one, a lot of folks will have to look up the acronyms, saves the writer a minor amount of time at the expense of a bunch of other folks who look it up and at the expense of clarity to those who don't bother or speak English as a 2nd language and can't pick the meaning out of all the available definitions. And there are a whole lot of folks here that just aren't that good with computers, just good enough to post.

When I asked what B&S was John answered using another acronym, IOW, not clear whether he was trying to be funny/ironic or whether it was out of habit.

The first google result was Isle of Wight.

John was rude and condescending above when he spelled out what he meant by IOW.

AZ would be Arizona. Az is short for azimuth. One would think that cruisers might desire a grounding in navigation.

I note that you have provided 6 variations on the acronym for "In My Opinion". How may of these am I be expected to know off the top of my head and which ones may I ask the definitions for?

I've been on this forum for 9 years and I didn't know off the top of my head what "IMNSHO" means. Are you implying I'm stupid for not knowing? Just because you are familiar with something doesn't mean everybody else is, or even most people, of even that most people should be.

The Google dictionary doesn't have it either though there are plenty of web references.

I assume the LMGTFY link is meant as a joke rather than an attempt at a put down.

In the paragraph I asked about DBA, I mentioned AKA as a hint towards context. DBA is the business equivalent of AKA, "Doing Business As". If you ever review your credit card statements this is a good thing to know about.

In the context of cruising Hc is HeightCalculated from celestial navigation and Az is azimuth from celestial navigation and from general navigation. I know most cruisers have no knowledge of CelNav, it is arguable whether they need to know it. Not knowing Az means they don't have a grounding in navigation generally which is concerning for folks that cruise.

How about XTE?

Seriously, a pissing contest now? Context is everything and just throwing out TLAs on their own is exactly what you are complaining about. And AFAIK (as far as I know, and spelt out just in case and not to be condescending) nobody other than snarky teenagers writes something obscure so that readers think they are stupid. Without Google I don’t know what LMGTFY means either. And just type in the search bar - don’t specify the dictionary.

If I sail somewhere that requires strict attention to holding within a narrow safe zone then I care about XTE, otherwise not. You’re right though, I have no knowledge of CelNav. I have a reasonable grounding in pilotage and navigation but frankly it’s been over a decade since I last used compass bearings as anything other than rough guides. And paper charts, similar (except on passage - it’s nice to have an overall view of progress). An azimuth is simply a bearing expressed in degrees, so notation has always been simply xxx* M or T or C.

Peace.
Old 05-04-2019, 01:57   #120

Boat: CT 49, 1989

Quote:
Yes of course some are obvious. As you say I maybe able to come up with a good guess. But not being very good at mind reading, it doesnt seem like a very reliable method. Also if its too much effort to try and think of guess I simply get bored and give up. So short hand might be quicker for the poster, but turns out much longer and less certain for us readers. I dont think thats the intent.
Just asking.
But of course feel free to do what you like, just dont expect all of us to understand.
Q Xopa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, generator