Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2019, 03:59   #121
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Electric Range without a Generator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q Xopa View Post
But of course feel free to do what you like
tx

Forum software requires more characters, so I'll spell it out.

Thanks
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2019, 17:48   #122

Boat: S&S 40
Re: Electric Range without a Generator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
I think Sailing Sophisticated Lady just bumped their solar to 2800 watts and as much as I love them, it looks like garbage (no offense guys if you're reading! ) Hanging off the rails, covering the bimini and dodger and foredeck... come on. As a secret survivalist, I'm tellin ya what you want is FLEXIBILITY. What if your solar charger craps the bed out back of beyond? A battery fries? Electrical gremlin that takes days to localize or some wires chewed by a rat? Two weeks of cloudy weather? Storm rips off panel? You'll be happy you got a propane backup.

We run a power hungry boat. Not electric range hungry, but still. To be flexible we retained our Force 10 propane/butane stove and carry fuel for it. But rarely use it. I cook A LOT, and people tell me quite well. A portable two burner induction top is just as good, and can be moved as needed or replaced for 80 bucks in any shop in the world. We have tons of electric appliances (bread machine, electric Instapot pressure cooker, rice machine, deep electric skillet, coffeepot, washing machine, watermaker) and they all run fine off 450 watts solar and 450 watts wind tied to a big but otherwise plain old 24 volt AGM battery bank. The days when they don't, an hour with the generator doesn't cause any worries. If the wind stops, we got sun. If it's cloudy, we got the gennie. If the gennie breaks, we run the engine. Or just hit the propane (which I sometimes do when I need 3 or 4 burners going at once...2 electric on the counter, two on the force 10). Flexibility, 1000%. To get the juice to run a full electric range with solar seems overkill to me, and reduces your options in general. IMHO.
Thats propably not what they want to hear.
Inverters are good for short power supply...using a powertool or something.
As you state correctly flexibility is the key.
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, generator